Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Local News! Post the big doins' here

Thanks
    There's a group of about 30 of us going here--> https://www.carolina.renfestinfo.com/ the end of October. 3rd year in a row for me!
    According to my watch the time is now
    Past is dead and gone
    Don't try to shake it just nod your head
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Thanks
    Thanked 10,852 Times in 4,159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston_Joe View Post
    Deep fried butter on a stick. Lightly coated with panko and wrapped with bacon of course.
    For the clueless maybe, freeze the butter, egg wash so the panko sticks, freeze again if you aren't working in a walk-in refrigerator, wrap, fry, wow.

My thing is marshmallows. I had made plantain fritters, excellently, and the pot was at a perfect temperature (difficult enough, for campground cooking,) and I had batter left. My son asked if I could batter and fry marshmallows. I did, they were good. Very important to remember marshmallows start to swell when they heat up, so don't push them over to cook the batter on top right away, you want that flexible. Then turn, and take them out as soon as that side is done, the marshmallow should be very gooey. If you cook too long, it melts all the way, and soaks into the waffle or pancake batter you're using, still tasty, but hollow as a politician's promises.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 573 Posts
    There is a fair bit going on out in this area, actually. There is a massive hwy expansion that will change the face of our ghost town. (What remains of it-3 churches and a super old general store that closed in the 80's). GRRRRRRR. They plan to eminent domain houses that have been in families for almost a century. Right down the road. This expansion is loosely tied to the village's endeavor that has destroyed the ag in this area and is depleting the aquifer....and has pulled eminent domain and displaced a lot of 'poor folks'. The villages has completely taken over the little town we just moved from and torn down the old store fronts that were there since the 1880's or so. It used to look like a proper old ghost town, now it will look like another playground for rich transplants. It sickens me...and most all this was done under a sketchy 'one vote' that was passed in the mid 90's. Well a few of us have found out that this 'one county' vote is actually not legal in the strictest sense because it keeps minorities and locals who aren't rich from being heard....so a call was put in and hopefully this one vote nonsense will be overturned and the villages rape of our county will end.
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to southernmom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,885 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerrt10 View Post
    There's a group of about 30 of us going here--> https://www.carolina.renfestinfo.com/ the end of October. 3rd year in a row for me!

Sawyer, you and the Mrs should make it interesting. ..

cbc0130.jpg
    I have an Epi-pen now. A friend gave it to me. He REALLY wanted me to have it. It was his dying wish.

Thanks
    The headline on our local paper today says, "Commissioner Court Declares Oct. 1 - 7 4-H Week". There won't be another headline until next Wednesday when the next paper comes out. Upcoming events include the Cullen Baker Fair (named for a notorious Robin Hood outlaw) will be November 4, which coincides with opening day of deer season. It gives all the "deer widows" a place to go and spend money while the guys are out getting drunk and/or chasing Bambi.

Here's a view of the Cullen Baker Fair parade from a couple of years ago.

Cullen Baker Parade 1.jpg

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olfart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pic stolen from FB. I tried balooning once. Once. It's not my cup o' tea. I'm wired way too tight to just go where the wind takes me.

AbqFiesta.jpg
    I have an Epi-pen now. A friend gave it to me. He REALLY wanted me to have it. It was his dying wish.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kickstand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kick, let's be honest here, unless you have some unbelievable insurance, if you got hurt by willingly going up in one and then crashing down, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're a mean woman W.Lynn. Funny, but mean. I wouldn't have it any other way .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kickstand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
    Pic stolen from FB. I tried balooning once. Once. It's not my cup o' tea. I'm wired way too tight to just go where the wind takes me.

AbqFiesta.jpg

There are definitely dumber things to do. Too me the balloon ride was anticlimactic as it was after working on broadcast towers and cooning high rise steel. Looking back I have to qualify those things as dumber than the balloon ride.
    When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cwi555 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
    You're a mean woman W.Lynn. Funny, but mean. I wouldn't have it any other way .
    Some friendships are strange and unique. No hurry figuring out which one of us is which (but I never leaned into an outboard motor with the cowl off.)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post: