Best firelighting kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best firelighting kit

So, me and the mrs are going camping in a week and I was wondering if any of you lovely American chaps/ladies knew of a decent firelighting kit available online, my ferro rod is too far gone and then don't have time because of work to go out and collect tinder such as beech bark shavings etc. Any hints?
    Thanks
    Condor

*Get another ferro rod and save your dryer lint is one way.
    *Petroleum jelly balls. Melt the jelly over low heat, soak cotton balls in it leaving a tab of dry cotton to take the spark.
    *Pyrolysis of cloth aka charcloth. Old shoe polish tin, punch a hole in the top, pack with cotton cloth and put over a flame. You'll have to experiment with it, but the idea is to cook out the volitiles without actually burning the cloth. Takes a spark easy. Can be combined with other methods.

There's three ways
    When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Wood matches & whatever is available on site is what I've always used. I guess you could take a few old newspapers (if you have them) and dryer lint.

Comment

I use the Petroleum jelly/cotton balls and I also keep small pieces of commercial "fire starter" logs like you would use in a fire place in a zip lock, they burn slow and hot. they are pretty good for getting damp or green tinder started, the PJ cotton balls work great for starting them.
        [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

170px-BIC_lighter_2008-12-31.jpg

Comment

I too keep about a dozen Petroleum Jelly saturated cotton ball in my pack, along with a few Diamond Strike a Fire sticks. These are designed to assist with starting a fire in a fireplace. They are basically sawdust and paraffin pressed together with a sulfuric "matchtip" on the end. They are NOT "Strike Anywhere" type tips, so they do require a friction surface, such as a book of matches has, to ignite. They do a great job of getting things started . e894b070-f9df-4a4f-8425-b652ed1ba266_1.88746717f1b161a8f34b4ad26902c08e.jpeg

I also keep a couple of Permanent Matches in my bag. These are about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a standard Zippo lighter. It is a sealed unit that you fill with a small amount of of lighter fluid, and has a small wick with a ferro and striker. I got mine from a board member's store, Northstar Tactical. http://shop.nstactical.com/en/home/7...val-match.html
            Defund the Media !!

Comment

We have a thread on starting fires, somewhere. It was a fun thread ...
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Those things jag sells are great....for someone with a brain and attention span of a gnat. It would seem I have neither after trying to burn myself up with one.

I used to camp a lot more. TheRe are a million and one ways to start a fire. Lots of easy cheats, and the cotton balls and Vaseline with a ferro rod are easiest. Personally, I like to use a a bunch of methods when I am not in a hurry so I can build skills.

Comment

Working...
                X