New olfart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New olfart

Where do I begin? Perhaps with the Jimmy Crater regime, when my wife and I decided the big city (Dallas) was a good place to be a LONG way from. We began our search for a suitable place to hibernate, sold our 3-yr-old house in Mesquite, and moved in with her mother. Needless to say, we found a place to our liking pretty shortly thereafter.

The search took us to northeast Texas, where we chased down an ad for some acreage on the G.I. Bill. After a couple of hours of driving, we arrived there only to find the place had just been sold. We continued our trek eastward until we found a realtor within smelling distance of Arkansas and Louisiana. We told him we wanted 35 to 50 acres in the middle of nowhere, and he met our request beyond our wildest dreams. We went back a week later and closed the deal on 35 acres of mixed pine and hardwood, and we've been here for 37 years now. We were both working in Dallas for DISD, and at the end of the school year my wife said, "I'm going to the farm. You come when you can." She left her cushy (yeah, right!) job as a teacher aide and became a full-time farmer. One of us was going to have to have an outside job, but none was available in this part of the world to someone of my qualifications. I ran back and forth for 9 years, staying with her mother during the week and coming home on weekends, until the sheriff's office here had an opening.

Over the years we've raised rabbits, chickens, goats, turkeys, geese, ducks and calves. Currently we're down to 8 chickens, 7 goats, 6.5 cats and a dog. We've discovered the joys of living on an unpaved county road, at the dead end of the electric line, and with a phone line that goes out every time it rains. We built a barn, cleared and planted a garden, and did all the homesteady things one might expect.

Well, that's the Reader's Digest version of our story.

Welcome. 6.5 cats?
    When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Originally posted by Cwi555 View Post
      Welcome. 6.5 cats?
      That's how we tally them. Six are ours and duly neutered, the .5 is a stray who comes for the free food but runs when he sees us. Smart move, as he'd be neutered too if we could catch him. My wife has named him Dorian, because he's gray. Can't get him to sit for a portrait, though.

Comment

Welcome from south central New Mexico . I see that you were let in the front door.
        Look around and join the conversation .
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

What part of NE Texas? I grew up in Paris, although it has been a few years since I've been back.

Tex
          = 2
          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

The prodigal! Good to see you Tex.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
              What part of NE Texas? I grew up in Paris, although it has been a few years since I've been back.

Tex
              I'm about 80 miles ESE of Paris near the Louisiana/Arkansas border.

Comment

Welcome from a Texas transplant to Florida ! Hey Tex been a while!
                People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Welcome from Northeast TX, though not as far east as you are. We are too close to Dallas for my liking, but one has to work if one wants to eat.

Nice to see ya again Tex!!!!!!
                  NICHEVO

Comment

Even at 160 miles we're still too close to Dallas, but it's as far as we could get in this direction and still be in Texas.

Comment

olfart, it looks like you're going to fit right in. Most of us are somewhere on the same path of what you've done. All around the country. And we sure like talking about it! LOL.

Chat gets going somewhere between 8-9 pm ET, every evening - and sometimes there's a second shift. Be glad to have ya join us. There's no "topic" and sometimes there will be several different conversations going on at the same time, if it's a "full house". We just TALK... about whatever.

Hi Tex! How's the HN doing?

Comment

Here's a pic of our home, sweet home made by my RC camera plane. This is my definition of "middle of nowhere".

Home Sweet Home 1.jpg

Comment

Well, I did mine a little lower tech - took the UTV up the deer trails on the next ridge. It's not as flat here. LOL.

(This picture will self destruct in an unexpectedly short amount of time).

Comment

Ok, i see the houses...but what are all those things surrounding the house? They're kinda tall and green....

Here's my hood..
                            Screenshot_2017-07-15-20-27-06.jpg
                            Last edited by kickstand; 07-15-2017, 09:40 PM.
                            Defund the Media !!

Comment

They're water pumps. Each mature pine tree pumps 100 gallons of water a day into the air, which translates into humidity. But that's something you wouldn't know about, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                              X