No announcement yet.

Hi from the uk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha indeed, pest control is apt however it doesn't cover it! I wish the U.K. Would let us have our so easy. Like I said earlier if anyone wants a northerner as a lodger/hunter for a week or two let me know haha!

Comment

Condor, Fly down here to Gods Country, The Great Land Down under... ill take you hunting, fishing, camp fires included, any day of the week...

Comment

Ah again if I could! The money and my Mrs would be coming would be the thing! Where do you live down under?

Comment

Sydney, but i got lots of bush to go play in...

Comment

Oh wow, just wow. Lmao.

Comment

hmmm, yeah i see the funny side of that statement...

but down here we call the woods, the bush...

Comment

Condor, for the majority of the US, we don't have to tell the gov why we want a firearm, regardless of whether it's a rifle, shotgun or handgun. Some individual states have become draconian, like California and New York, but the majority of the states are still pretty free. If purchasing a new or used firearm from a FFL (Federal Firearms Licensed) dealer, we have to fill out a form (Form 4473) with name & address, whether you are buying a handgun or long gun, etc. There are some other questions on that form that asks if you are buying the gun for someone else (called a "straw purchase" and a big no-no), if you are a felon, a habitual drug user, under a restraining order, an illegal alien, etc. The FFL Dealer then has to either call or enter that info on the web to the BATFE (Bureau of Alchol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives = DHS), where a NICS (National Instant Check System, pronounced "Nicks") background check is performed, and compared to the answers that you gave. Within just a couple of minutes, the BATFE will answer with one of three responses: Proceed, Deny or Delay.
                1)Proceed = purchaser may purchase the firearm. In most states, they may pay for and immediately take possession of said firearm and take it home. Some states require a FOID (Firearms Owner's ID) card to take possession, most don't.

2) Deny = The person is a PP (Prohibited Person) and is prohibited from owning a firearm for whatever reason. Convicted Felon, under a restraining order, etc.

3) Delay. The BATFE has to verify some information. Some things that would cause a Delay is that you have the same name as a PP, or your name is on a police report (as a witness or for any other reason). If the FFL gets a Delay, but hasn't gotten a Deny within 3 days, he may proceed with the sale and treat it as a Proceed.

Again, this applies to most of the states. I hope this helps you understand some of our culture, and why we tend to refer to those agencies as Alphabet Agencies.
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by Condor24 View Post
                  W.lynn - I have got to say you guys over the pond do like to keep yourselves armed. Are the laws and methods of obtaining a firearm in the US quite easy to manage? I own my own firearm in the uk but in order to get it I had to jump through sooooooo many hoops to get it, including having the proper land to shoot and hunt on (I only hunt small vermin and only take what I can cook and eat or give to friends and family), I had to have an officer from my local police force firearms team come and interview, check my security in the house and see how much ammunition I intend to stock as well as doing background checks on all my family and myself before they would consider giving me a license to hold firearms. In a way I like that security is so tight as it prevents any old nut case getting hold of a firearm, however it is a pain in the backside for any legitimate hunter or shooter to get a rifle.

Here where I live I work in local law enforcement (not DHS style law enforcement by the way haha) and I can safely say that never once have I felt the need for a gun at my side when dealing with knives or violence as our training is very effective when dealing with these things close quarters. The current events in Manchester and London however I think will change all of that and I think there will be a massive call for armed officers on our teams in our home towns. I would like to to know how you guys (and gals if there any any here) think of how we do things over here in relation to firearms?
                  You're already talking to some of the gals in here!

To answer, the laws vary from state to state, almost as much as the recipes for a Christmas pudding will vary from family to family (until no one's learnt to cook, and great-grandmother's prized recipe is lost forever.)

In California, for instance, the politicians hope to introduce laws that would be quite familiar to anyone that dislikes the ones passed over there. I'm in Texas. Because I do NOT have a past as a criminal, I ask no one's permission to purchase a firearm unless I decide I wish to spend a lot of money for a fully automatic rifle. I'm not that foolish with money.

I did elect to take a class & tests (written and target shooting at the range,) to prove basic knowledge of safety, laws, and competency in handling firearms, payed a reasonable fee, and acquired my concealed carry license. Since the time I got that license, my state has chosen to reduce the fee to a negligible pittance. We're on track to become a "constitutional carry" (no permit needed) state.

No home inspection, no approval from local law enforcement needed. In fact, the square miles that make up Texas likely outnumber the law-enforcement personnel here, and many peace officers go to work every day knowing that if their life is on the line, the help they need is more likely to come from someone like me than a fellow officer. Lives have already been saved. Might not happen around Waco so much, but they should've known not to mess with the right of the people to peaceably assemble.

I can even show my license, and skip the line going into the state capital, while others empty their pockets and go through a metal detector. And "defense of myself, loved ones, strangers, or to stop persons invading my home to steal my belongings" are all perfectly valid reasons.

I also take martial arts, and practice with alternative weapons.

So what does anyone think of training with daggers, vs training to face an untrained fighter who thinks they're all that because they've got a knife?
                  Last edited by W.Lynn; 06-05-2017, 10:22 PM. Reason: This grandma is NOT a "soft target."
                  quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                    Condor, for the majority of the US, we don't have to tell the gov why we want a firearm, regardless of whether it's a rifle, shotgun or handgun. Some individual states have become draconian, like California and New York, but the majority of the states are still pretty free. If purchasing a new or used firearm from a FFL (Federal Firearms Licensed) dealer, we have to fill out a form (Form 4473) with name & address, whether you are buying a handgun or long gun, etc. There are some other questions on that form that asks if you are buying the gun for someone else (called a "straw purchase" and a big no-no), if you are a felon, a habitual drug user, under a restraining order, an illegal alien, etc. The FFL Dealer then has to either call or enter that info on the web to the BATFE (Bureau of Alchol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives = DHS), where a NICS (National Instant Check System, pronounced "Nicks") background check is performed, and compared to the answers that you gave. Within just a couple of minutes, the BATFE will answer with one of three responses: Proceed, Deny or Delay.
                    1)Proceed = purchaser may purchase the firearm. In most states, they may pay for and immediately take possession of said firearm and take it home. Some states require a FOID (Firearms Owner's ID) card to take possession, most don't.

2) Deny = The person is a PP (Prohibited Person) and is prohibited from owning a firearm for whatever reason. Convicted Felon, under a restraining order, etc.

3) Delay. The BATFE has to verify some information. Some things that would cause a Delay is that you have the same name as a PP, or your name is on a police report (as a witness or for any other reason). If the FFL gets a Delay, but hasn't gotten a Deny within 3 days, he may proceed with the sale and treat it as a Proceed.

Again, this applies to most of the states. I hope this helps you understand some of our culture, and why we tend to refer to those agencies as Alphabet Agencies.
                    Another good reason to use my license, they fill it in at the correct spot on the form to link to my "known to not be a criminal" information.

I get to walk into the shop, choose one, and walk out with it, even with the other one in my pocket.

Comment

Hobes - I would love to come play in the bush ��... ok that was just for redmans benefit. On a serious note though I would very much like to visit Australia, it one of those places which is on the list, you do however have a ridiculous variety of animals that love to just mess up your day! Haha

Kickstand - I must admit I hadn't heard them being called "alphabet agencies" until I read this book but I gotta say... you guys have WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too many agencies haha they should probably merge some to avoid confusion. On the other note thanks for explaining that to me. It's good to gain an understanding of I want to move out there to the Wild West haha

W.Lynn - My apologies! In that case it's nice to met a gal of the group! Haha! In relation to your alternative training and martial arts, I've also trained in martial arts and I can honestly say it helps. As for alternative training I can fight with baton through training but I can't use thinks like nunchucks or anything exotic haha I can however fight with a saber. Learned how to do that a few years ago which was great fun, it beats fighting with a rapier... they are a bit to French for me haha. Although I know our good friend redman would sure say it's a bad idea bringing a sword to a gun fight but hell, every little helps right! Haha. On another note it's good that you can just walk in and get relatively anything you want! What's your favourite firearm? That same question goes out to all in this post aswell!

- - - Updated - - -

Hobes - I would love to come play in the bush 😜... ok that was just for redmans benefit. On a serious note though I would very much like to visit Australia, it one of those places which is on the list, you do however have a ridiculous variety of animals that love to just mess up your day! Haha

Kickstand - I must admit I hadn't heard them being called "alphabet agencies" until I read this book but I gotta say... you guys have WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too many agencies haha they should probably merge some to avoid confusion. On the other note thanks for explaining that to me. It's good to gain an understanding of I want to move out there to the Wild West haha

W.Lynn - My apologies! In that case it's nice to met a gal of the group! Haha! In relation to your alternative training and martial arts, I've also trained in martial arts and I can honestly say it helps. As for alternative training I can fight with baton through training but I can't use thinks like nunchucks or anything exotic haha I can however fight with a saber. Learned how to do that a few years ago which was great fun, it beats fighting with a rapier... they are a bit to French for me haha. Although I know our good friend redman would sure say it's a bad idea bringing a sword to a gun fight but hell, every little helps right! Haha. On another note it's good that you can just walk in and get relatively anything you want! What's your favourite firearm? That same question goes out to all in this post aswell!

Comment

Favorite vs most practical? An ar-15, pump 12 gauge and a glock are extremely accurate and practical but have no soul. A lever gun has soul as does an old 1911, single action revolver, a side by side 20, or Garand. Not practical in many cases, but favorites.

If all hell broke loose and I was defending my business, home or family in a situation like the la riots, it would be an AR, a moder 9mm and a 12 gauge pump.

Comment

ar and shield for me. My long range is a remington .308 I still want to buy an 870 MCS eventually.

Comment

Hi Condor. Welcome from the wilds of South Carolina.

I may end up as part of a larger crowd with my choices
                            AR-15 for medium range
                            M&P shield 9mm(my EDC) & 12 gauge for in close at home
                            I have my eye on an AR10 in .308 that needs a good home that I would use for longer distance

Comment

If I need fast & easy, it's the AR 15, my 9mm M&P Shield, or my 20g. if I want someone to mess their pants, or just not get that close, there's the 1911 in .45 ACP (that thing has more soul than a lot of people,) the 12g, and the AR 10. The AR 10, and the bolt-action hunting rifle also in .308 are a bit more touchy to shoot, but worth the time to get to know them.

To really knock your socks off, you have to bring the black powder replica Kentucky long rifle to the range, there's also a black powder pistol, and a Mosin Nagant.

We have the usual bunch of .22 lr in long arms and side arms, handy for taking rabbits and squirrel. (I prefer not to pick shot out of my meals.)

I don't fire the man's long-bow, the draw-weight on it is beyond me, but I will have my own eventually, and I look forward to trying the new crossbow.

The bow, staff, double daggers, short sticks (escrima,) fan, no nunchuks though.

Comment

So the general consensus is AR, 9mm and Pump action shotgun. Well I'll have to put up with my smaller bore rifle but it's good to see ythat u all on the same page haha, I'm quite good with a recurve bow never tried with a long bow though! That would be quite something!

Comment

Working...
                                X