Chainsaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chainsaws

So, have you ever niticed, when one thing goes, they all do? Well my chainsaw is one of those things.

I have/had a Husqvarna 51 since the mid 90's. It was a solid saw, and it cut a lot of wood. The thing started haVing issues, and the repairman says it is beyond fixing. Since this is only the second time in 20 years it needed more than basic maintenance, I am content.

Lots has changed since I bought this one. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to avoid or what to buy?

I will be cutting a lot more wood now as we heat strictly with wood. The minimum bar size I want is 20, and I would like longer, or at least a saw capable of pulling a longer bar if needed. Mostly, I will cut hardwoods here.

I subscribe to a buy once cry once theory on tools, but recognize there is a point of diminished return that I do not need to pass.

Husqvarna, stihl, johnsered are my three main consideration s with echo as a possibility if they have something other than the homeowner line sold at the big box stores. I am wide open to suggestions. I know at least one person here makes a living with a saw.

My 51 lacked a little in power for some of the bigger jobs I expected it to do. I may find a small saw on craigslist for the little jobs and buy a good big saw for my primary use.

I've used 2 Stihl's , one I own the Farm boss ,has lots of power and would handle 20" bar but it has no decompression button an pulls hard for me . The son-in-law has one with button and not to bad . As with all 2 cycles use oil lol but stihl has their own oil but have used other synthetics with ok results . I think with all of them maintenance is the key to keeping them running . The Boss has a lot of hours on it but when I got it the bar was worn bad and after looking it over realized the oiler was not pumping a lot so looked it up and they have a adjusting screw under the machine well a small long screw driver got it going just fine and it was easy to adjust the carb for idle , once started it'll run all day .

Comment

Some of these saws are now putting electronics on board for auto tune and diagnostics. I don't want electronics! Just more crap to go wrong.

I have heard one runs fast and one runs slow with higher torque. I don't know which is which right off or which would be better.

I am after stout, durable, powerful, and simple.

Comment

I had to replace an old Poulin that had finally become unrepairable. After much thought about what I was really going to use it for and balancing word of mouth and online reviews I bought a Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I put an 18"bar on it although it will handle a 20". I've had zero problems with it and it's been well used over the 6 years that I've owned it.

Find the best chainsaw for work on the job site or in your own backyard. Husqvarna builds world-renowned gas and battery-powered chainsaws for professionals and homeowners.

Comment

My vote is on Jonsereds which btw is Husqvarna and has been for a long while now. Having said that, I have two from my grandfather that are still kicking and original, not Husqvarna. For evaluating new ones, they have to be put in the same hole as Husqvarna.
          When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

I have several Stihls. If you are looking for one all around use saw, I would go with the Stihl MS362. It's a great saw and I would highly recommend it. It's along the professional line, so more sturdy and longer lasting than most box stores will sell. You will pay for it, but it should easily last you another 20 years.

Comment

Working...
            X