Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor advice

Help!

Ok, so I have land and have a tractor. I do not have a knee.

Right now I have a massey mf20 which is a 38 hp at the pto industrial version of the massey 135. It has a loader, 3 point, pto, shuttle shift, etc. It also has the clutch from hell.

I also have a blown cruciate in my clutch leg. After working all weekend on the tractor doing the usual farm chores, I can't walk. It does not hurt: it just won't work. So something has to give.

Can someone tell me where to start with more modern tractors that will handle a 6.5 ft box blade, a large rock/landscape rake, a 6 foot bush hog, a 7 shank spring tooth all purpose and a 6 foot tiller among other things?

I want something with 4wd. A clutch my knee can handle, and as few electronics as possible. I need it to handle a loader that will lift 2000 lbs.

So, any thoughts...

Oh yeah, can we stay below the $10k mark please? Used is fine. I just don't know squat about newer tractors. This 72 model massey is the newest I have owned and used regularly. Even the ranches used older models and made them work.

I wish that I had some good advice , but I'm lucky just to run my little Craftsman lawn tractor, and it doesn't have a clutch .
    I would offer to send you a leg, but it wouldn't have a knee, so it wouldn't be much help .
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Lol. Thanks kick....I think.

For anyone who has never used one, the landscape rake/rock rake is worth the investment. Get as big of one as your tractor can pull. Dressing gravel, removing brambles, cleaning rocks and roots from broken ground, gathering limbs, and raking 35 years of accumulated garbage on a home site take a fraction of the time doing it by hand does. Next to a bucket on a front end loader, this is the most usedimplement I have on my tractor.

Comment

May want to research Trima TCC clutch. It's push button.
        A Swedish company has come up with a hand-operated tractor clutch system that eliminates the need to depress the clutch pedal. The Trima Comfort Clutch (TCC) is an electrically-operated hydraulic valv...

A hand clutch would be my second suggestion. I have an old JD type B with a hand clutch circa 1941. It's a pain, but with my bad knee/leg I'll deal with it gladly.

Kubota has a glide shift, JD has their HST (hydrostatic shift transmission), there are others.

So there are options that won't do more damage to your knee.
        When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

I have a John Deere 4320 (43 HP) 3speed hydrostat transmission 4X4 with a big front loader I pull a 7 foot mower at an idle also have a 7 foot snow blower . You don't need gears in a mid size IMO. Just fluid in the rear tires and a little weight on the back for heavy front end loader work.
          TK

Comment

This is not what anyone here is looking for right now, but I'm going to put it.

Accidents that happen while using, misusing, failing to fully shut down, or otherwise taking shortcuts with a PTO on a tractor make for some of the most horrific accident scenes known to medical care.

Be careful. Make others be careful. RTFM. Make Bubba and his friends go wait at his house. Just say "no" (a LOT.)

If someone really wants to be wiped up with sponges, they can make it faster by just walking into the prop of a small aircraft.
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I tend to be over cautious with pto and the like. Had a buddy lose both arms and mangled otherwise. 9ther less violent accidents as well.

Comment

Yeah, but due to the nature of this web site, we will eventually attract someone from the realms of "y'all hold my beer, and watch this" who already knows everything about tractors, even with -zero- days of tractor ownership behind them. You'll find out after the fact that their sum total of tractor knowledge comes from having passed Frank, their neighbor, a wrench or screwdriver while that person was working on his lawn-gizmo with pull-behind mowing attachment.
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                  I tend to be over cautious with pto and the like. Had a buddy lose both arms and mangled otherwise. 9ther less violent accidents as well.
                  Ditto. I'm never touching anything PTO related with the engine running. If it ain't running It can't hurt me.

Comment

My Dad has had a John Deere 820 since before I was born and loves it. When I got old enough, I wanted to use the tractor but he never let me. I guess it was pretty feisty and he didn't want it to flip over on my head. A few months later, he bought a John Deere 5520 for me to use. It has the ROPS system so my head is a little safer. It had 4WD and some sort of semi automatic transmission. I can use it easily. I've since used the 820 and I almost need to stand on the clutch to shift it. The new Power Reverser is very easy to use. I think it cost around 20k brand new so a used one should be quite a bit cheaper.

Comment

KK , the 5520 is an 80 plus hp tractor. It is just pysically too large for me to use in the tight places I have. I wish I had a place that large.
                      I actually priced one here as there are several for sale. $22 to $18 k with a FEL. Ouch. I just can't do that. they were only made for a couple of years, and there are similar versions out there new. tractors hold their value well. Many of the older models actually sell for more now than when they were new. Yes, inflation is not accounted for, but even so, a 50 plus year old tractor for double what it was new, wow.

Comment

A variant of this?
                        http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...ota-l4200.html
                        https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...bota-l4200gstc

Comment

This one has Power Reverser, 4WD, and a front loader.
                          http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...eere-4610.html
                          https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...ohn-deere-4610

Comment

I would love that deere, but it is just out of my price range right now.

Comment

How many acres do you have and what do you grow in your area ?

Comment

Working...
                              X