No announcement yet.

Tractor advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only have 3.5 right now, so a bushog, blade, rake, and tiller are my primary use items on the back but the front end loader is fabulous for the horses and maintenance around here. We have about 1/2 acre in garden.

We are negotiating with a timber company for a 5 to 15 acre addition to the place. In that case, I would have all the wood I needed for years as I clear more for pasture.

We plant the usual garden items: peppers, corn tomatoes, peas, beans , squash, potatoes, root crops, greens, etc. We do not do grains. Our goal is to move up to buying staples only. The dairy goat and chickens and rabbits have helped there. Our pig this year was my stepdaughter's show pig.

Adding the additional acres will also add a spring to the homesite and get us back to agriculture zoning status. For us, other than being small, that was the big drawback here, but we could pay cash of the house, so we moved.

In NW Georgia, we have a lot of growing opportunity with the right soil ammendments. Even in drought years, we still have far more moisture than we did out west as well as a much longer season.

Livestock rates here are 0.8 acres per animal unit (cow in milk with calf). I have an electric mesh fence 300 feet long I put out for our 3 goats thinking I would move it as they grazed the area down. The growth in that pen is about to bury the goats. They can not even remotely keep up.

Comment

get thee to the next tractor show/event.
      $10k sounds like a personal/private transaction price (not dealer price) for a used tractor the size you require, but a large event would be a good resource for seeing what models and options will be the best fit for you.
      Best wishes. Hope your knee improves.

Comment

If the goats can't keep up think of a smallish horse , if fuel got to be short I'd take a horse rather than walk any day lol . Then again feed out a steer calf to about 450 lbs for some grass feed beef .

Comment

Two horses already. I could break either to pull. Both ride already. Need one more for the whole family.

We had to pull up some of the potatoes early. The ants got to them and killed the plants. We now have about 5 gallons of new reds.

Comment

Working...
          X