Thanks For Having Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks For Having Me

Many of you know me from SB. I have been traveling in my van for over 20 years. I am now considering settling down and can really only imaging doing so in a few places. Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Northern Utah to be specific. I asked Darth where I could find a like minded group of people living in the west, and he suggested here. So, here I am. I have traveled 49 of the 50 states, but never paid attention to what it would take to live there. Taxes, cost of living, job market, hunting and fishing laws. Legality of living off grid. Most importantly, what I don't even know that I don't know. I look forward to conversing with many of you as I look around. Again, Thanks for having me.

OK, so far so good. Most things should work the way you expect them to.

Glad to have ya. Things move slower here than at SB. But there's less ruckus that way too. LOL.

Comment

Sometimes a ruckus is fun. Gets the blood pumping lol

Comment

Welcome from south central New Mexico . FYI , at least around here , taxes are high , especially when compared to the low wages. The weather is mostly great, if you don't mind living in drought conditions and dirt getting in and on everything doesn't bother you .
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

There is a lot I love about northern New Mexico. Southern NM? Not so much. It is nice in the "winter" though. How are the laws about off grid living? Gun laws? Non-Real estate property taxes? Thanks for the info.

Comment

hey from central fl
            Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Hello. I likeTexas, I also like shiny objects that are stabby, or go boom. I don't much care for Austin or Houston. In no particular order, one is completely insane and the other is a liberal hell-hole full of non-thinking individuals. I think they take turns and alternate weekly.

Make of that what you will.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Hi W.Lynn. What can you tell me about the other stuff? I know there is no income tax, but I understand there are required annual vehicle inspections? What about property taxes on vehicles or other belongings? Living off grid? IMO, the only real negative about Texas is that you guys are being invaded by Mexico. How bad is it really?

Comment

Originally posted by ramblingvanman View Post
                  There is a lot I love about northern New Mexico. Southern NM? Not so much. It is nice in the "winter" though. How are the laws about off grid living? Gun laws? Non-Real estate property taxes? Thanks for the info.
                  Off grid living and non real estate property taxes...To be honest , I don't know. I do know that if there's a way to tax it, NM does or will. As of yesterday (4/1/17), Amazon is required to collect tax on items shipped to NM. Here might answer a question... http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/all-nm-taxes.aspx

By state constitution , gun laws are uniform throughout the state, and are pretty decent . We are a Shall Issue CCW state, with permitless legal open carry. Your vehicle is considered an extension of your home.
                  Defund the Media !!

Comment

Thanks for the information Kickstand.

Comment

Aloha from Massachusetts.

Comment

Well, that's different. A Hawaiian stuck in the people's republic of taxachussettes?

Comment

Vehicle inspections seem like a revenue stream for the county. In theory, it's supposed to keep questionable vehicles from causing problems. In reality, there will always be vehicles breaking down and bursting into flames (it gets hot here, then we fire up infernal combustion engines, sit in the parking lot called I-35, and wonder why they overheat?) The property tax isn't unreal, but some people forget that if the snowflakes vote for all the SJW causes the way California snowflakes do, the rest of the country will be just as calif**ked.

Most "working class" illegals outside of gangs go unarmed, it's been beaten into them by the federales, the cartels, the ruling families, etc. Legal immigrants tend to run conservative, or middle of the road, and are usually quite nice and appreciate the rights that come with citizenship. The cartels know there's not much holding some people back now, and they like to keep their way home open for all those occasions when they've got into deep doo-doo and want to go stay with mama for a while. If you know where to look, any given day you can find news about illegals turning to burglary & bringing things like knives, machetes, brass knuckles, and the like into people's homes. The big difference with illegals, is that you get fewer family members whining to the press about what a "good kid" their deceased perp with a mile-long rap sheet was, when the armed home-owner happens to be there to greet them.

Comment

Damn cousin Wendy, scares me to go to Texas anymore. LOL. Welcome Ramble from Okiehoma do not even consider here, it all sounds good here but I can't wait to get out of here. Northern Idaho has my vote.
                            If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Hey, I love Texas, more and more people taking carry license class (I can recommend instructors.) The small to medium sized towns are awesome, the food ... makes it hard to lose weight. We do love our food.

Thanks to the food, we have many, many, many options to try to work the pounds off. Was talking to my sweetheart, told him I'll probably double-down on the tai chi. I've just been going to the daytime lesson on Tuesdays & Thursdays, but I can also go to the higher energy Monday & Wednesday evenings (at no additional cost even, blows some people's minds.)

Comment

Working...
                              X