Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what does a mini ice age mean ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Here's kind of a benchmark on yields per vegetable, that would give you a baseline to guesstimate how much to plant per person. Obviously, this will vary alot if say, your crew eats a lot of italian food. But it also helps to gauge any changes in yield, from year to year, in relation to environment.

http://www.harvesttotable.com/2011/0...elds_plants_p/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 527 Posts
    The big thing about gardening is to get out there and make the mistakes now. There is a huge learning curve. Don't take that for granted. Take for instance-you can't plant many plants around walnut trees-the plants will die. Walnut trees produce juglones to keep anything from growing near them. So if you are gonna do the whole food forest guild thing you may not want to create one around a walnut tree.

Really look at your seed storage and think in terms of calories-will you have enough to survive? Now is the time to test you knowledge and theories. Experiment now. Look into perennials (I am a broken record.) Buy seed from several reputable sources.

Another thing to think about and if you ignore the rest of what I say please hear this: pesticide drift. Not just sprays from a neighboring fields that travel to your garden but loads of pesticide contaminated manure or hay can be contaminated. I have had this happen to me twice on a smaller scale and it really is frightening. THINK before you take a load of manure or compost-people who spray their fields or buy hay from sprayed fields and feed this to their livestock or even use the hay to compost their garden can wind up losing everything from aminopyralid sprays (broad leaf herbicide)and it goes straight through an animals digestive tract and never breaks down and winds up all over your broad leaf plants and will kill them. (corn is somewhat safe as it is a type of grass) Here is a good article:

http://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/c...estroy-garden/
    Last edited by southernmom; 03-21-2017 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typo
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to southernmom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Hmmm. Maybe I SHOULD make an offer for that Fjord gelding I saw in the local Craigslist - just for the manure potential. The asking price was pretty reasonable I thought; he's broke to ride and ready to break to drive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post: