Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From UCLA

(Upper Corner of Lower Alabama )
    I have never been much of a prepper. One day I decided to drive the same route (from work to home) I would walk if SHTF. ( Some of it was parallel with the actual walking area.) Even though I never mentioned it to anyone a co-worker recommended, Going Home book. I'm not usually one to believe in "signs" but that was a little weird for a coincidence. I started reading to books and I am hooked. I just finished book 4 today. Since I started I have also driven and used Google Earth to plan my route if I had to walk from work to my son's school, and then home with him in tow. I have made a small get home bag, that would last maybe 3 days if needed.

It was also pretty cool to see my home town mentioned in the first book. I hope that truck driver made it back here, LOL. I guess we'll never know.

God Bless, and Roll Tide,
    Rueben

Welcome, that is definitely a different way to use UCLA

Comment

Hello Rueben, how long has your family been in Alabama? Are you related to Fayette County? Yes, I wonder if/how we are likely to be related. My family is all over the south, but a LOT from Alabama (mostly "Roll Tide!" And a few "War Eagle!" holdouts.)
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Hi Rueben, welcome to the unofficial "Deplorable's Hangout" from southern New Mexico. About that truck driver , he....you didn't think I was really going to tell you , did you?
        I'm glad to hear that you have started carrying a GHB. May I ask how far you would have to walk if SHTF while you are at work ?
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Welcome from the state of confusion.
          When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Greetings from Kentucky.

I'm one of the older guys here. As a result, I grew up during the height of the Cold War (1960s). Anyone else remember "Duck and Cover" exercises in school? As an extension of that, I had to wonder what came next? How would I get home. What supplies would the family need to survive? What if we had to relocate? I learned to read maps, and, once I was able to drive, enjoyed exploring the county, and even this part of the state, and the country.

Of course, about the time I graduated from high school, the government did away with the idea of fallout shelters. It became relatively clear that the government wasn't interested in taking care of the civilian population (or realized that they couldn't). Even back then (late 1970s, early 1980s), I could read the writing on the wall that it would be up to each individual to ensure their own survival.

Then, during most of the 1980s, I was a volunteer on a local governmental emergency management team (I was the communications officer, although we highly cross-trained.). I got to see some of the directives coming out of the federal government in that era, and realized exactly how delusional they were. Our small county of maybe 25K people, was supposed to house and feed 50K evacuees from a neighboring large city in the event of a nuclear attack. Oh, and that was with no outside assistance or support, and with a disruption of the normal supplies and utilities! It became quite clear that, in the event of an attack, things were going to go from bad to worse very rapidly, and that no one really cared (Well, at least no one who had the ability to affect policy). That was definitely a wake-up call.

That was also about the time that the possibility (probability) of a High-altitude (nuclear) ElectroMagnetic Pulse (HEMP) became of increasing concern, especially with the miniaturization and complexification of electronic devices, and with the increasing reliance on such devices, especially computers. Sadly, the trend, and vulnerability, has only increased over the past 30+ years. Yeah, there was some talk, and even a tiny bit of money from the feds to harden a few select Emergency Operation Centers (EOCs) and other communication facilities. But, nothing for anywhere else.

So, I became a prepper (Didn't call it back then; didn't even know that there was a term for it. It was just a matter of being prepared...for anything.). Yeah, I've refined my skills and techniques over the years. I try to push my training, at least as much as is possible for someone my age and with my other responsibilities. But, that's one of the reasons I participate here. I like to offer the information I have to others, and I also like to acquire information from them. Hey, I don't always do everything perfectly. We all make mistakes. But, it's better to discover those mistakes early, rather than during an actual event, at which point, they may kill you.

With that said, welcome. And, I, for one, will be glad to see any information you can share. And, I think all of us will be glad to share our information with you.

Dave

Comment

about 7 miles straight from work to home.

about 11 if I had to go to my son's school to get him first. (its only a couple of miles form the house, but he cant walk it daily due to having to cross a major 4 lane highway.

Granted some if this is using power-line trails and railroad tracks.

Comment

Welcome from SE WV Reuben. It is always good to have routes planned out. Have you tried to walk your route with your son in tow. How old is your son. Come join us in the chat room. We have a good time and sometimes we even learn something.

Comment

Think I accidentally put this under someone else's post but about 7 miles from work to home, and about 9 from work to my son's school to home. A lot of power line trails and railroad right-of-ways.

Comment

Thought you were from the sanctuary city at first. There is a fair amount of wisdom you may find useful if just getting introduced into the mindset and lifestyle of prepping/survival. Enjoy!

I guess it would be a little too coincidental if we ever heard of that truck driver again.

Comment

Having experienced way too many "Small world" incidents over the years, it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear of that truck driver again.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X