Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kerosene Storage - Proper container for long term storage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerosene Storage - Proper container for long term storage.

I recently purchased a Butterfly Stove from StPaulMercantile.com. It has two burners with ten wicks for each burner. My question concerns storing Kerosene. I have two 15 gallon, black plastic drums with two-2" bungs. The drums are both stamped HDPE (High Density Polyethylene?). Is HDPE a suitable material to use for kerosene storage? I worry that over time the fuel will degrade the barrels or that the plastic will adversely effect the fuel. I have asked around and researched on the internet and have found "yes" and "no" answers. Is there anyone here with actual experience with this that can offer some sound advice
    Semper Paratus - Always Ready!
    Honor, Respect, Devotion to Duty

Yes....and no. Sorry, couldn't resist, I have nothing to add, but wanted to bump this up. BTW, good to see you around, you've been mostly MIA lately.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by CoastieCWO3Ret View Post
      I recently purchased a Butterfly Stove from StPaulMercantile.com. It has two burners with ten wicks for each burner. My question concerns storing Kerosene. I have two 15 gallon, black plastic drums with two-2" bungs. The drums are both stamped HDPE (High Density Polyethylene?). Is HDPE a suitable material to use for kerosene storage? I worry that over time the fuel will degrade the barrels or that the plastic will adversely effect the fuel. I have asked around and researched on the internet and have found "yes" and "no" answers. Is there anyone here with actual experience with this that can offer some sound advice
      HDPE is a petroleum based product. Sunlight/UV will degrade them faster than kerosene will.
      When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

clean containers out of direct sunlight, fuel additive would be good as well, I would have to do some looking but anything that would be good for treating diesel for storage would work for kerosene

Comment

Also check if the wicks can handle additives. In the use of one of my lamps, I found that some wicks will "clog up" and get smokey, just as bad as if you didn't know to trim them occasionally. Spare wicking is handy!
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
            Also check if the wicks can handle additives. In the use of one of my lamps, I found that some wicks will "clog up" and get smokey, just as bad as if you didn't know to trim them occasionally. Spare wicking is handy!
            This. I had some kero that I stored using some fuel additives. It didn't burn well in my kero heaters this winter. It gunked them up pretty good.

Clear kero has a pretty long shelf life as it is. I wouldn't have a problem keeping kerosene for up to 5 years. But it must be kept in a sealed container, out of sunlight, and in a cool place. I wouldn't use any additives. Just plan to use it and rotate stock every 3-5 years.

To your original question, the HDPE barrels are okay to store fuels in. But sunlight will degrade them quickly. Keep them out of sunlight and they will be fine.

Comment

Personal experience is that, over time you can get some clumping/gelling. This can block jets and fuel filters, so you need to strain it before use. A basic fuel funnel with mesh filter/sieve should suffice.
              This type of thing
              31FkCltI7qL.jpg

or go for the likes of a Mr Funnel (Brand name)
              mrf_fuel-fil-fun-med.jpg

mrfunnelgraphic.jpg

Afterwards turn filter upside down and tap on a hard surface and the gunk falls out

Comment

for long term storage, keep the fuel drums FULL, no air or at least as minimal as you can. air is what causes polymerization of fuels. well that is what ive heard with deso and petrol, so kero would be the same.
                i used to use bio deso and veg oils in my old Hilux deso, at one stage i had over 2 thousand litres of fuels stored at my place, some for as long as 5 yrs. had no issues using the longer stored fuels.

Comment

Working...
                X