Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice / help on this IBC 275 gallon tote.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice / help on this IBC 275 gallon tote.

I need some advice on an IBC tote I just purchased. Looks to be in great shape and owner said it came from a chicken hatchery and contained Eggs So Clean Washing Liquid for washing chicken eggs. I appears to have only been used once. I looked at the MSDS on this and have some apprehension, but am wondering if it is cleaned and bleached if it might be ok for potable water. Do you suppose this can be washed out and bleached to make it a safe storage container for drinking water? Concentrated soap in most any form is going to have some ill remarks on a MSDS sheet, but after all, it IS soap of some sort. Any thoughts or remarks?
    Kessler
    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Don't think I'd be trusting it. Taking someone's word on something like that isn't very wise.
    We use them, but buy them new here.
    New 275 gallon IBC totes IN STOCK NOW! Rebottled 275 gallon IBC tanks and Reconditioned 275 gallon IBC totes are also available in truckload quantities. Call us Today 859-881-3190 to purchase IBC tanks.

We get the food grade models. Even the ones we use for fire water and shielding are from their used food grade stock just in case.
    I'm sure there are other companies, but you get the idea.
    When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

I agree with CWI. Unless you know what was in it for sure, and what the possible health effects are, it's not something that I'd want to be drinking. I might not hesitate to use it for livestock watering, but not for pets.

Looking at the SDS for that stuff, the warnings sound rather serious.

I'm not a chemist, but I know just enough chemistry to be dangerous. One can start by calling up that SDS and looking at the components that make up the material, and then considering the toxicity of those. Note, of course, that these are going to be "technical grade", and not "food grade", and there's always a question of what kind of contaminants may be present in technical grade products (Hint: Almost certainly stuff you wouldn't want to drink!).

That Sodium Hydroxide that's in there is more commonly known as Lye, and is used in drain cleaner. In a strong enough concentration, it will dissolve flesh. It's at a pretty low level, but I don't know that I'd want to expose myself to it internally.

The sodium tripolyphosphate is on the FDA's GRAS list, so it shouldn't be harmful (maybe).

That sodium xylene sulfonate scares me a bit. I'm not a big fan of drinking, or even exposing myself to, Xylenes, which are, basically, Benzene rings with two Methyls substituted. In this case, there's also a Sodium Sulfonate attached, too, which I'm not a fan of drinking.

And, the polyethylene glycol propoxylated doesn't appear to be too bad, but I certainly wouldn't want to drink it. And, there are some warnings that it may evoke an allergic response in some individuals, which would not be something that I'd want to be drinking.

As for Lexington Container, I've been to their store. It's a warehouse located just off of Nicholasville Road between Lexington and Nicholasville. I've been quite impressed with the cleanliness of the warehouse. They seem to be a reputable company, based on what little I've seen (e.g., I've bought from them before. I like their "pickle/olive barrels".).

Dave

Comment

As a side note, the sds system is the latest version of what was msds. It is to warning labels what common core is to education.
        When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

We are going to use these for rain water collection. Thanks for posting. Still trying to decide between $275 new or $75 used. The water will be for livestock and gardening. It may be called into use for fires or holy shit, our well went dry indoor use.

At this point, I just don't think we can afford 8 to 12 new totes, and it will be a squeeze to get the used ones.

One question, how do you keep the water as fresh as possible in these?

Comment

I too would probably not use that tote for drinking water but water for for other uses would not be an issue. A couple of things to consider though. First lye and some of the other chemicals that Dave listed off are safely used in food processing. For example, Olives are soaked in a lye solution for days. There are also lye soaps that people still make and use today. Sometimes it is not the chemical but the quantity of it that posses a risk so you really have to be cautious.

I agree with him that any member of the Xylene family is something to avoid. Plastics are durable but porous and some chemicals to attach themselves to them readily. I bought a used open head drum for horse feed that had been used for hot sauce. It took a bunch of washing and a couple of weeks of airing out to make them clean enough for my use.

Unless a tank was only previous used for a food product I would be hesitant to use it for water meant for human consumption.

Comment

Yep, lye is still used for making soap, and it was egg-wash. I would wash it out several times, multiple rinses, air dry in between, and then use it. But I would also run the rinse water onto different patches of the yard so I could see if it had an effect on the grass and weeds, killed off the ants, or whatever.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                We are going to use these for rain water collection. Thanks for posting. Still trying to decide between $275 new or $75 used. The water will be for livestock and gardening. It may be called into use for fires or holy shit, our well went dry indoor use.

At this point, I just don't think we can afford 8 to 12 new totes, and it will be a squeeze to get the used ones.

Rather than type out a paper I'll post a link that covers the major bullet points.

Perhaps the only thing more important than food in a long-term emergency is water.  Even the food you do have probably needs water to be cooked and eaten – especially dried beans and grains. Seriously, have you ever tried to bite into a dried bean? What is even more concerning is that water can be ...

Edit; for the amount of water your talking, you may want to consider a larger 1500-2000 gallon vessel instead.

Comment

I'm sure you can find this less expensive from another source.

Comment

Another option:

Dave

Comment

Still on water, but different question:

I have an existing 3" metal casing well put in in the sixties. Since this well has not been in service for years, I removed the 1.25" rusty draw pipe and replaced with 1.25" PVC, forty some feet with foot valve. I have water at 15' and to a depth of 100+ feet. I concreted two pressure treated 4x4's close to the casing and about 2.5 feet up and put two pressure treated 2x4's across the top sides of the 4x4's and then put a 2x8" piece of pressure treated wood across the top of the 2x4's incorporating the 4x4's also. Drilled a hole in the middle and am attaching a pitcher pump. IF I ONLY KNEW HOW TO POST A PICTURE. Anyway, my questions are....all my wood is pressure treated and outside in the weather, so should I paint the pressure treated wood to help preserve it or not? If I should paint it, what paint would be best? A quart should be more than enough.
                      Sorry to draw this question out so long, but wanted to explain how it is being used.

Maybe I should just let the wet pressure treated wood dry out (will take several weeks or longer) and then just use a sealer like Thompsons or something on it? Anything to protect the flat pressure treated 2x8 top that the pump is mounted on.
                      Last edited by Kessler; 12-28-2016, 12:14 PM.
                      Kessler
                      I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
                      INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

You need to let the pressure treated wood dry completely out and come to normal moisture for your area before trying to paint. there are a few paints and primers that will not peel if applied to wet wood, but it is better not to. This will take a lot longer than you might guess. Not quite as much time as seasoning firewood for your area. I like the kilz products for a primer and a good exterior grade latex over that for this application. Also, shape everything you can so that no water will have a flat surface or crevice to get into.

If you do not like paint, there are UV protectant and water sealer type products that will stain it nicely as well. they usually need to be reapplied every year or two. Some of those can be applied directly to uncured treated lumber.

Comment

Does anything ever really get that dry in Florida?
                          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post

I think it is proper to assume that after SHTF that ALL water, even water being stored in crates, long-term should be treated, especially (chemical purification) if crates are left out in the sun where plastics can degrade. Biological purification is obviously needed if collecting standing or running water from ponds, streams, etc. And, to be prepared for such, these are some options:

BIOLOGICAL PURIFICATION:
                            1. peroxide
                            2. horseradish/yucca root
                            3. iodine crystals
                            4. silver
                            5. sun-UV
                            6. boiling
                            7. copper
                            8. chlorine

CHEMICAL PURIFICATION:
                            1. zeoilte
                            2. reverse osmosis
                            3. distillation
                            4. activated carbon

These options are listed in order of effectiveness and in the best interest of your health.

Comment

Working...
                            X