Guttering on metal building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guttering on metal building

Well, with the drought and the well issue, I have started moving forward on the water system. The house is easy; thebarn, not so much.

So this barn is a simple metal building with a lean too on the side. The frame is metal tubing as you can see in the picture. It extends to the edge of the soffit like trim. The overhang is about 4 inches.

There is no horizontal support under the trim or along the face of the soffit ends of the rafters, so it is just hollow tube end behind the trim. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I need a bracket of some sort to hang gutter out that far with decent support. The roof covers 9x26 on that side of the building plus a 12x26 lean too. Basically 550 square feet of roof. The other side will need gutter as well, but what I do on the edge of the lean too will work over there as well, but there will be less volume.

So bracket suggestions?
    Attached Files

You could trim the overhang to about 2" and use a standard gutter hanger . But it looks like you need to put a fascia board on your steel framing first for gutter support. TK

Comment

Have you seen the type that are wrap around and screw in index the sheeting? I was tempted to try the screw those on top of the roofing into the perlins or whatever the correct name is for the steel running across the rafters that the tin is screwed to. I just don't know if the 4 inch overhang would support a gutter full of water without bending..

How would be the best way to trim the back and get a nice edge?

Thanks for the help.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by redman2006; 11-28-2016, 05:35 AM.

Comment

tmp_5503-20161127_195307-19336854.jpg
        A word to the wise, the square tube support pictured isn't really set right structurally speaking. Laying them horizontally like that then tacking a pup piece vertically isn't the strongest support. If you wished to take advantage of the tube steels strength, the load would be distributed perpendicular to the square of the tube, as it is on the pup piece.

If for any reason you needed to increase the load capacity without cutting it all out, an end plate welded over the end of the horizontal run would probably give it about 20%.
        When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Electric shears are hard to get up and over the humps. I would chalk a line and use a die grinder and a cut off wheel. You can also use a circler saw but the cut off wheel will give you a better edge. I don't know if those hangers and full gutters would bend the steel with water or not but wet snow and ice probably would.

Comment

We don't usually have much snow here, but as soon as I say that, my gutters will get ripped off by another 1993 style blizzard.

The guys that put this up had a set of shears which actually left a strip of metal about 3/8 inch wide. It was like they were cutting on both sides and leaving a curly q of metAL out of the middle. I never saw that before.

Comment

Something like this? shears.jpg

Comment

When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Yep. But this beast was huge. Thanks.
                  Last edited by redman2006; 12-01-2016, 06:43 PM.

Comment

just a suggestion, but, run the gutter under the roof next to the main beams you have running, then string line across the top, mid ways thru the gutter line, then drill holes into the roofing tin. this will allow the water to run down the sheets and still be able to collect run off water. the holes can be as big as you want, or can bee smaller to stop leaves and shit getting into the water supply..

remove that yellow trim looking thing, then attach gutter in its place. you may need to run another steel square section the length of the run to mount gutter to.

Comment

I have never seen that Hobes but that seems like a good idea.

Comment

I have seen it, and done it for a mates bush shed. the run off past the holes is minimal, but so is the debris that goes into his collection tanks. saves trying to filter out leaves and crap. if you are concerned about the holes rusting, drill them and spray them in a colorbond paint. we have it down here, safe for drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                        X