Hello from Griffin, Ga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Griffin, Ga

Hello everyone. Loved the going home series. The wife and I are people who love to be self sufficient. We garden (big time) raise chickens and prep. Looking forward to sharing ideas. We have 27.5 acres. Going to plant lots of pecan trees this winter.

Welcome from SC.

I'd like to see how your planting goes. We've been thinking of putting a few at our place.

Comment

Welcome from Florida !
      People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
      ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Hope I don't sound dumb, but can you just plant pecans? Do they sprout like acorns?

Comment

Welcome from another avid gardener! We just planted a few apple trees that do well in my area of FL.
          Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Hello, welcome to the fray.

Originally posted by Oathkeeper View Post
            Hope I don't sound dumb, but can you just plant pecans? Do they sprout like acorns?
            They can, but the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Since time travel isn't currently an option (except for one-second-per-second, forward only, no reverse gear,) that leaves planting now. And the sooner you want pecan pie, the bigger the saplings you buy.
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

We are going to plant grafted saplings. Hope to have pecans in 8 to 10 years.

Comment

Welcome from south central New Mexico, the other Pecan Producing Stste. I know that NM & GA trade off years for gross output. Back in the 1960s & 70s, my dad worked for Stahmann Farms on their crop dusters.
                I had 2 pecan trees here on my property , but our decade+ long drought has taken its toll and killed one and mostly killed the other.
                I'm jealous of your acreage, but not of the labor and time that you likely have to invest to keep things moving .
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Yes I have a lot of work ahead of me and I am not a young buck. My primary job is inside looking at 5 monitors and constantly on the phone. When I get home, i love being outside doing something to make us more independant.

Comment

Originally posted by miatadude View Post
                    We are going to plant grafted saplings. Hope to have pecans in 8 to 10 years.
                    Love the time travel quote earlier, cause if you want pecans now you better be able to! I assume grafting give you a good jump start on that time travel. Good to know!

Comment

Working...
                    X