No announcement yet.

Seeds, seeds and more seeds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read this if you want to know more about seed germination http://research.msu.edu/msu-research...mination-test/ heard of this 10 yrs ago very interesting .

Comment

How do you save seeds out of the stuff you eat? Do they have to be dried and stored a particular way?

Comment

Originally posted by Valliam13 View Post
        How do you save seeds out of the stuff you eat? Do they have to be dried and stored a particular way?
        Well it depends. To get into seed saving from the food you buy and saving from food you grow is beyond the scope of a quick post. The absolute best book on the subject is 'Seed to Seed' by Suzanne Ashworth.
        In short, seed saving can be as simple as with beans-let them dry on the bush or vine then collect and shell. The dried beans in the store require no work. Just plant them. For winter squash-just dry seeds thoroughly on a plate and make sure they don't stick together. Same with sweet melons, cukes, etc. When you get into tomatoes you kind of have to do a fermentation process on them, which isn't difficult. OR, you can just take a slice of tomato, throw it in a pot of dirt and it should grow and produce. If it is an heirloom tomato, of course.
        Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

JJ, keep in mind, there's all those treasures we hope will survive after us, per the first half of Proverbs 13:22 "A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children:" (Of course the second half is about a wicked man.)

I'm old, what I do is for them.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Going through things now since I got home. We are lacking in seeds. I have to say, a bulk buy of what you need for a basic garden from one of these places would be handy. Even handier if it was for your zone and area of the country.

Comment

Working...
            X