How are summer gardens doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are summer gardens doing?

Here we are swimming in tomatoes!!! I had to thin two plants due to space the the other two are going nuts!!!!! About ever 7 weeks now we have a full new crop! I have more jalapenos then I know what to do with, and they have been going on everything! I have dried enough basil to last the next year, and the same goes for mint! We are starting to harvest rosemary now as well. I'm going to need to start canning tomatoes soon cause we just can't eat any more of them.

My garden is not doing that well because we have had to much rain. My banana peppers are doing well, but the tomatoes are not. Probably won't have enough to can this year.

Comment

I have not been keeping up with mine like I should, this year I have been to wiped at the end of the day and not wanting to go mess with it. So the bugs are taking a toll on them, the chickens are liking them.

RD
      Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

I'm in Texas and the summer garden is almost done. Too hot for much to grow and now we're going on the 2nd week of rain. Need to start thinking about the fall garden that needs to be put in within the next few weeks.
        NICHEVO

Comment

I'm on to fall garden readiness as well. I have more guavas than I can handle right now, though.
          Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Guava jelly?

Or just put them through a juicer and drink up, pulp to the compost!
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I have the proverbial "Brown Thumb". I can kill a perfectly healthy plant in about 6 weeks [chickens too]. I planted potatoes this year. My ROI prior to death? Two potatoes about the size of a fingernail.

I keep trying to figure it out, but understand that I have turned plastic plants brown.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Kickstand,
                Have you had your soil tested?

Comment

We had 7 freaking massive loads of tree mulch delivered for free(line trimming) holy cow we are gonna have the best compost this next year. I mean we have like tons of it here-we have mulched everything.....got a huge workout and enough vit d from the sun to last the rest of the year.
                  I am a big fan of the whole tree mulch planting thing.

Comment

kickstand: this year sucked for potatoes here as well. (and with others I know) I am going to plant another round of sweet and regular taters this fall just to see what happens.

Comment

We're not swimming in them, but we've got a handful of tomatoes. I'm actually really happy with that considering I haven't don any gardening since I was a kid and this is off of one plant in a pot my daughter and wife mostly managed as a summer activity. Already thinking to next year to get a small victory garden version going in my backyard.

Comment

Been thinking of getting back into gardening for a bit. But would have to buy a tiller, fencing (lots and lots of deer), yada yada yada. So looked into container gardening.6 pots - 4 gallons or so - too small but this year is experimental and learning. Cherry tomatoes will soon bury us and the beefsteaks are coming along. Bought all of it at give away prices from the hardware store. Most of it was root bound but is flourishing anyway. Biggest difference is the plants require almost daily watering.
                        Next year will see full five gallon buckets and earlier start. That will cover tomatoes and peppers. Rest I will buy.

Comment

Our potatoes did great this year. The sweet potatoes should be almost read to dig.
                          NICHEVO

Comment

Tomato's are producing bushels this year , going out on the road for sale , squash did very good , potato's not so well but a few . Spaghetti squash is feeding the chickens right now that's good. Got some green beans canned up for winter to . Good luck to you all in your canning .

Comment

Working...
                            X