No announcement yet.

Help with seedlings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celt- I just mix compost before planting, I will try and get pics of this years tomato and pepper garden to show you how I set mine up.

RD
    Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Same here...compost! No fertilizer, ever! I also add green sand, lava sand, dried molasses and alpaca poop.
      NICHEVO

Comment

Originally posted by nichevo View Post
        same here...compost! No fertilizer, ever!

alpaca poop.?

rd

Comment

What is green sand?
          People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
          ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

It is a mineral. And yes RD, Alpaca poop. It is at the top of the list as far as manure is concerned and you can put it on the garden hot - you don't have to dry it out or compost it. A friend of mine has Alpacas.
            NICHEVO

Comment

I think a lot folks feel like garden failures because they aren't told things - like growing salad greens in late fall, winter, and maybe early spring if you're anywhere that gets super hot & dry in the summer. Tomatoes won't set any new fruit when the temperatures are too high, but if you keep the plants alive, they start again when the daily highs go back down. Spinach will bolt and scatter seed at around 80-85° (more or less, depending on breed and conditions,) it turns bitter then, but the patch is sown for next season. Also, don't grow spineless okra, or place it between regular plants, you'll get fewer midnight raiders. Thistles, thorny berry brambles, and a few other things are both nutritious AND silent defense systems - the kind that don't land you in front of a judge. Prickly pear cactus makes that list too, as both the fruit and the flat "leaves" can be eaten - with a great deal of care.

I almost forgot one - while watercress does prefer quiet places with very slow water, it can grow where you have even just enough of a spring to make a perpetually damp spot.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Lynn- my tomatoes and peppers like the heat as long as I water them daily. As for my spinach your spot on, my lettuce we cut back and water until they can't take any more heat.

RD

Comment

Working...
                X