Razors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razors

Razors. Yup, I'm really going there. As always , I have no vested interest in anything that I review. Whether you buy 0, 1 or 5 million, it makes no difference to me . Yes, I know that this isn't something that most will consider "prep" related , but it's something that will make me more comfortable post-SHTF.

Like most men, I've been shaving since I was about 15 or 16. I know that some of the more manly-men around here don't have a use for them, but I'm one of those guys who just doesn't like hair on my face. Hell, I barely tolerate it on top of my head , but that's a different story. I have grown a full wild & wooly beard decades ago, but not in the past 30 years. While I may not have a full beard grown in three days, if I don't shave every day , it's not only uncomfortable for me, it's also uncomfortable for my wife. I'm sure that some of you are good enough to just use a straight razor and strop, but I'd end up slitting my own throat within a month.

For the past 15 plus years, I used the Gillette Sensor. This is a 2-blade razor cartridge. It had always done well for me, and a blade would typically last 2 to 3 weeks before I would feel the blade tugging on my face rather than smoothly cutting the hair. After dropping it one too many times , it was time for a new razor. I thought about going back to the Sensor , but decided to try something new.
    I opted to go with Gillette Mach 3. This is a 3 blade razor cartridge . The price is close for the cartridges. My first thoughts were that I was just falling prey to advertising with the whole 3 blades, etc, but decided to try it anyway .

After using the Mach 3 now for about a year, I'm happy to report that I made the right decision. The primary difference that I have noticed is blade longevity. Both do a fine job of keeping the whiskers knocked down. As I said, the Sensor blades would last about 2 weeks. The Mach3 blades are lasting between 8 to 10 weeks before I start feeling that uncomfortable tug.
    So, now a 10 pack of blades will now last close to 2 years as opposed to under 6 months . This cuts down on how much I have to store, thereby making it an important prep item for me.
    Defund the Media !!

I'm one of those guys that if I didn't have to to look presentable for my job I would be wild and wooly! I too use the Mach 3...when I have to.
    People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
    ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

I use a mach for my head and get about two months on a blade. My face is another story, all razors give me 1 and a half shavings before they rip or cut me. The best razor I have found for my face is a single blade bic which they don't make anymore. Luckly G has found some online and bought a fair amount, once those are gone it will be the straight razor.

RD
      Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

I use a sensor of some sort, the blue and orange version, and get several months out of one blade. If I could, I would say the heck with shaving. Shaving and neck ties, whose bright ideas were these?

Comment

Mach 3 turbo here, I have had a shave with a straight razor on many occasions while overseas, but don't trust myself with one.
          According to my watch the time is now
          Past is dead and gone
          Don't try to shake it just nod your head
          Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Comment

I hate to shave, always have. I have had to make a concession on that front for my wife who likes me looking "neat" and my professional life which is not tolerant of messy stubble. I have found a way to please everyone. Rare is the time when an actual razor touched my face. Every other day or so I use a cordless trimmer with the guard removed on my face. It's the same thing I use to keep the hair on my head trimmed to stubble. Having white hair on both areas means it isn't very noticeable so I can get away with it. No nicks, cuts or razor burn.

I do have a package of Gillette Mach 3 disposables in the cabinet for special occasions like anniversary dinners and such.

Comment

Been using the Mach 3 for a while now...love that I get a couple months at least out of one blade.

Comment

[QUOTE=RD;71981]I use a mach for my head and get about two months on a blade. My face is another story, all razors give me 1 and a half shavings before they rip or cut me. The best razor I have found for my face is a single blade bic which they don't make anymore. Luckly G has found some online and bought a fair amount, once those are gone it will be the straight razor.

One thing I have done to prolong the blade life is leave the shaving soap on for about 5 mins before I shave to really soften the beard hair up. It has taken me from about 5 shaves to 20+ on a blade.
                Southern migrater

Comment

You guys ever hear of conditioner? Softens hair really well, even facial hair. Work some in and leave it while showering, etc. Leave it as long as it's reasonable to do so and the stuff is still wet. Then rinse with warm water and proceed normally.
                  quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
                    You guys ever hear of conditioner?
                    Yes, it's what I use on my Harley seat and boots. As for using it in the shower, that is what you ladies do. )

RD
                    Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

If you really want to prep to continue shaving, one word. Double edged razor. You can buy about 100 blades for what you pay for a large pack of almost any cartridge today. It will take a week or so to get the hang of it and no your not going to slice your face open. I have a subscription on amazon every 6 months they send me a new pack of blades. They have less irritation then any multiblade cartridge. If you really want me to go on I can for days. I use really nice stuff when I shave Trufitt and Hill, however I proved once you can shave with motor oil if you had to using a double edge. Let me see you do that with a cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticRaven View Post
                        If you really want to prep to continue shaving, one word. Double edged razor. They have less irritation then any multiblade cartridge. however I proved once you can shave with motor oil if you had to using a double edge. Let me see you do that with a cartridge.
                        Shave with motor oil? What do you mean? And why?

I typically either have a beard, or shave as close as the trimmers will go. The few times a year I do shave, I use a Mach 3. At this rate, a cartridge lasts me about 3 years. But even when I do shave with the mach, I only use water, no shaving cream. So why would you want to use motor oil?

Comment

To make your razor last longer, strop them against your jeans, pushing the blades rather than pulling. Not the shaving stroke, but pushing. This will remove the microscopic jaggies and sharpen the blade just like your barber used to do with a leather strap.
                          Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                          Razors. Yup, I'm really going there. As always , I have no vested interest in anything that I review. Whether you buy 0, 1 or 5 million, it makes no difference to me . Yes, I know that this isn't something that most will consider "prep" related , but it's something that will make me more comfortable post-SHTF.

Like most men, I've been shaving since I was about 15 or 16. I know that some of the more manly-men around here don't have a use for them, but I'm one of those guys who just doesn't like hair on my face. Hell, I barely tolerate it on top of my head , but that's a different story. I have grown a full wild & wooly beard decades ago, but not in the past 30 years. While I may not have a full beard grown in three days, if I don't shave every day , it's not only uncomfortable for me, it's also uncomfortable for my wife. I'm sure that some of you are good enough to just use a straight razor and strop, but I'd end up slitting my own throat within a month.

For the past 15 plus years, I used the Gillette Sensor. This is a 2-blade razor cartridge. It had always done well for me, and a blade would typically last 2 to 3 weeks before I would feel the blade tugging on my face rather than smoothly cutting the hair. After dropping it one too many times , it was time for a new razor. I thought about going back to the Sensor , but decided to try something new.
                          I opted to go with Gillette Mach 3. This is a 3 blade razor cartridge . The price is close for the cartridges. My first thoughts were that I was just falling prey to advertising with the whole 3 blades, etc, but decided to try it anyway .

After using the Mach 3 now for about a year, I'm happy to report that I made the right decision. The primary difference that I have noticed is blade longevity. Both do a fine job of keeping the whiskers knocked down. As I said, the Sensor blades would last about 2 weeks. The Mach3 blades are lasting between 8 to 10 weeks before I start feeling that uncomfortable tug.
                          So, now a 10 pack of blades will now last close to 2 years as opposed to under 6 months . This cuts down on how much I have to store, thereby making it an important prep item for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zef_66 View Post
                            Shave with motor oil? What do you mean? And why?

I typically either have a beard, or shave as close as the trimmers will go. The few times a year I do shave, I use a Mach 3. At this rate, a cartridge lasts me about 3 years. But even when I do shave with the mach, I only use water, no shaving cream. So why would you want to use motor oil?
                            Not sure why my earlier reply didn't go though. *shrug* Anyway, what you can shave with and the concepts of shaving have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years. The point of proving that you could shave with motor oil was to show you can do it with a straight or safety razor however those cartridges get gummed up really bad, cause they really only work with modern thin shaving creams.

That said, Shaving to me is a ritual. Years ago, I went to total opposite way from anything modern based on a friends suggestion. He asked me to try it for 6 months, and if I hated it he would pay me for everything I bought. (Pretty big words.) I bought a safety razor, a variety of blades, some good cream, a good pre-shave oil. Total investment about $60. Guess what I learned? First with the setup I could shave daily. My skin which always broke out, didn't! I used to have to shave and couldn't sometimes from 3 days to a week because of skin issues.

The point of shaving with oil that day was only to show a neighbor he didn't know shit about what he was talking about when it came to his new 27 blade cartridge for the most part. The oil acted as the lubricant to let the blade slide smoothly on the skin, if it didn't plug the pores so bad I might have stuck with it, cause it was a damn fine shave LOL.

Comment

Personally, I've found that shaving in the shower is what works best for me. It hydrates my beard, making it an easier shave, just using regular old soap. I can instantly tell where I missed by running my hand over my face.
                              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                              X