No announcement yet.

Chickens and all things fowl..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joyce, did you buy any new toys for your girls?

Comment

Toys?

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by hsehntr98 View Post
        Joyce, got a call today the coop is ready to be delivered.
        That's great! Sounds like you've got a nice neighbor there. I hope it all goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
          Toys?
          Yes, toys. Chickens bore easily. I get them these things that look like 4" round plastic cages. Then I put things in them they like, lettuce, cabbage, meal worms or whatever I have. They will bat and chase these cages all over the place until they've gotten all the goodies out. It's a heck of a lot of fun watching. I did say my girls are spoiled.

Comment

Cant believe Tex don't know chickens play. Foghorn did

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce Hoffman-Gayley View Post
              Yes, toys. Chickens bore easily. I get them these things that look like 4" round plastic cages. Then I put things in them they like, lettuce, cabbage, meal worms or whatever I have. They will bat and chase these cages all over the place until they've gotten all the goodies out. It's a heck of a lot of fun watching. I did say my girls are spoiled.
              Something about Chickens and toys made me think of this comedy sketch.
              Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Comment

Cant believe Tex don't know chickens play. Foghorn did[/QUOTE]

Mine haven't broken out the bat & balls yet. Love Foghorn Leghorn! "I say son......"

Comment

Ours play in piles of cow poop while they are searching for tasty tidbits.
                  20140514_160514-2.jpg

If they aren't digging through the re-purposed hay and corn, they are patiently awaiting the goats to kid so they can help with the clean up. They are like a bunch of kids waiting to lick the spoon and the afterbirth don't last long.
                  20160127_135124.jpg

Our chickens have to get creative if they want gourmet.
                  20160127_135121.jpg

Anyone in the mood for some 'Free-Range' chicken?
                  20140514_160641-2.jpg

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Tex, love the pictures. The chickens we had at the other place haunted our sheep and the pasture with the cows and followed them everywhere.
                    Yeah
                    Here our chickens dig the wooded areas and scratch all the leaves into neat little piles. There are a few that like to hang out with the ducks and a few who hang with the pigs. Then back to bed at roosting time.
                    I have a couple mamas who are pretty broody. we shall see if we get lucky with more chicks. I wont have to buy many at all this year.
                    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

• Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                      Joyce,
                      Are you allowed to sell from the farm
                      Yes, I sell from our property. I have a "Fresh Eggs - $2.00" sign out by the road. I box the eggs up and put them in a cooler. If it's really warm I put an ice pack in with them. I have a coffee can taped to the lid that the money goes in and I've never had any stolen. The honor system is used in our area alot mostly for garden/farm produce. We're in the most rural county in New Jersey and we don't have many laws or regulations that cover small-scale sales of this kind. Dairy products are an entirely different matter. Any milk or milk products that come from, cows, sheep or goats are heavily regulated. I found that out when I wanted to make and sell cheese. It simply wasn't worth all the trouble. We do trade among ourselves though. I don't know what it's going to be like when we move to North Carolina - not too restrictive, I hope.

Comment

• New Coop has arrived

These are the before pictures

Comment

• New coop has arrived but I can't figure out how to load the pictures. As soon as I do I will post them.

Comment

• Great! I can't wait to see them. Were you able to get it delivered to the site you intended?

Comment

• Yes Joyce it is sitting where I wanted it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I wish I could rotate the top picture to make it easier to see it. I figure the space underneath will give them a good place to get out of the sun and a place to do their dust bathing. The top pic is the inside.

Comment

Working...
                                X