foods that are toxic for your pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foods that are toxic for your pets

Before giving Fido a bite of your food, you should read this list.
    Daniela Di Napoli

Chocolate:
    Can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous.

Coffee:
    Can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death

Other caffeine:
    Can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death

Alcohol:
    Can result in vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and death.

Avocado:
    This can result in vomiting and diarrhea

Macadamia nuts:
    Can lead to weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia

Grapes:
    Can cause kidney failure

Raisins:
    Can cause kidney failure

Yeast dough:
    Can rise and cause gas to accumulate, which can lead to the rupturing of stomach or intestines

Raw meat:
    Could contain Salmonella or E.Coli or cause skin and coat issues. (which is hilarious as our dog is on a raw meat diet). The vet also said he could each raw chicken, that their digestive track was short and could handle it).

Uncooked eggs:
    Could contain Salmonella or E.Coli or cause skin and coat issues.

Bones:
    Could cause lacerations or puncture the stomach.

Candy:
    Specifically Xylitol, an ingredient found in most hard candies. It could lead to liver failure.

Onion:
    Can lead to red blood cell damage and intestinal irritation.

Garlic:
    Can lead to red blood cell damage and intestinal irritation

Chives:
    Can lead to red blood cell damage and intestinal irritation.

Milk:
    Can lead to diarrhea.

Salt:
    Can cause extreme thirst or urination and can lead to sodium ion poisoning.

I don't understand the raw meat and eggs. Isn't that part of dogs natural diet?

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

we used to give our chows garlic in their food to get rid of flies

Comment

All the alliums (onions, garlic, chives,) can be troublesome to dogs. Like many other things, some are far more sensitive to it than others.
        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I still feed a lot of raw meat . And my dogs get 1 raw egg a day. It has got to be better than the crap that goes into most dog foods.
          But I do find it funny that all these people take their dog to the vets and find out they have food allergies . Conveniently these vets have a dog food that they can eat . It costs about 40 bucks or more for a 30 pound bag.
          I don't believe in buying the cheapest food out there but if it don't come in a 50 pound bag I don't buy it. If you watch your dogs you can determine if the feed is good also if your feeding to much. For you folks in the colder states I make sure to put a lot of hot water on their feed in the winter making them consume the water that their not drinking in the winter months. These are just my opinions no science behind it just 40+ years of raising dogs. I know we have a veterinarian on here may be he can jump in.
          TK

- - - Updated - - -

I still feed a lot of raw meat . And my dogs get 1 raw egg a day. It has got to be better than the crap that goes into most dog foods.
          But I do find it funny that all these people take their dog to the vets and find out they have food allergies . Conveniently these vets have a dog food that they can eat . It costs about 40 bucks or more for a 30 pound bag.
          I don't believe in buying the cheapest food out there but if it don't come in a 50 pound bag I don't buy it. If you watch your dogs you can determine if the feed is good also if your feeding to much. For you folks in the colder states I make sure to put a lot of hot water on their feed in the winter making them consume the water that their not drinking in the winter months. These are just my opinions no science behind it just 40+ years of raising dogs. I know we have a veterinarian on here may be he can jump in.
          TK

- - - Updated - - -

TK

Comment

Originally posted by tk View Post
            TK

- - - Updated - - -

TK

- - - Updated - - -

TK

Man, you can say that again!
            Defund the Media !!

Comment

I stay out of food fights....Lol. seriously, nothing but religion and politics gets more heated.

All of the above can be an issue.

Thing is how much and under what circumstances.

Raw meat for example is not terribly likely to cause issues, though some dogs are more sensitive to salmonella than others. For me, the risk is not in the dog consuming it as much as handling by humans. Contamination of counters, bowls, hands, etc that people forget.

Also, dogs can be carriers with no symptoms. It is not uncommon for salmonella in the coat around the mouth or in the feces and attached to the coat to be an issue with children that around dogs on raw diets.

The garlic thing does have legitimacy, but in large or concentrated is the problem. Now, as to fleas or flies, well... I use nexgard myself. I have seen way too many dogs on garlic chewed to pieces by fleas.
              This from a vet that still suggests borax for indoor flea control.

As to allergies, beef, wheat, dairy are the three most common allergies with soy and corn being a distant 4 and 5. Any dog can be allergic to any food. And yes, I do use prescription diets. They are not for life. They are true limited antigen foods. Once the skin clears, we start adding foods back. When we find foods that react, we start a list. Eventually we come up with a list of foods to avoid and the owner can go to a homemade diet which can be darned hard to balance, or a commercial diet that is more likely to be less reactive.

Keep in mind, many diets suggest they are hypoallergenic but they are made I. The same factory on the same equipment as all other foods by that company. Most don't guarantee the ingredient list, so they dont break the equipment down between runs of different diets. Think peanut allergies in humans. It only takes a little.

Now, the food laws for animals are a wreck. They are only required to have the the contents meet the analysis, not the ingredient list. They can change it any time. So that bag that says lamb and rice may have any protein or carb in it. Lots more info on that if anyone wants. Including how the generics and the store brands keep it so cheap. What aafco statements mean and don't mean. What is a fixed formulation. How to read a label and what the terms really mean legally. Is there a legal definition of all natural? Organic? Flavored? Contains? Etc.

For the record, I feed pro plan chicken and rice focus formula for large dogs. It has been fabulous for over 20 years. Not cheap, but look in the grocery and tell me what you can buy for good nutrition that is less than $1.25/lb?

I will be happy to answer any questions, but I won't argue, it just pisses everyone off and does not change anyone's mind.
              Last edited by redman2006; 11-27-2015, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Wasn't trying to start any thing Red . I was just wondering . I know everybody has a different opinion on dog feed.
                Kick I don't know what went on there with the triple post. I hit enter and never looked at it ?

Comment

TK, did not mean you were, but I have tried to answer questions on other forums and it got seriously out of hand. My comment was not directed at anyone specifically. I usually do not comment unless asked for that reason.

Comment

BTW, that xylitol is seriously nasty stuff. A pack of sugar free gum containing that will kill a lab sized dog with liver failure. I would have to check, but I did not think it was being used in regular hard candies. I thought it was just in the sugar free.

One that I disagree with is Avocado. There is a really good food called Avoderm that uses avocado heavily for the omega fatty acids to improve the skin. Now the pit and the skin can be a serious issue. Don't ever give it to a bird!

The chocolate thing is seriously overblown. It takes a lot, especially in a large dog. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is.

Plants are more of an issue than many of the foods listed. Oleander for example is absolutely deadly. (Florida and California). Lilies, true lilies, are really bad news for the kidneys. There are too many to list, but you can find lists on line or in case of a suspected poisoning, call your vet and or the poison hotline for information.

Cleaners and other chemicals as well as meds can be a serious problem too. The same dog you can not get a pill down when he is sick will be the one that finds and eats the whole bottle of someone's SRI med.

Comment

Heres one for ya Red. When I was young we always hung the Beef and deer up high out of the reach of the dogs while butchering . But we left the hogs at skinning level. The old timers always said that a dog knows not to eat raw pork. I never even seen a dog try so I always Have believed it. But on the other hand I have seen them dive into the smelliest rotted animals laying in the woods. So does a dog know what is bad for it or not ? I can understand the man made chemicals in foods and poisons that their brains cant detect. Just wandering

Comment

That would explain it. The cat eats one kind of food only. Nonetheless, you'll pick up a case every other time, she won't touch the food. We end up returning it, and exchanging for another one, then back in business. It is clear there is no production consistency, and the picky cat can tell.
                        Last edited by unseenone; 11-29-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

TK,
                          I don't know what to say there, but that some have more sense than others. The dogs I see that are sick from eating something are usually the ones that raided the trash can or someone threw out the grease for them. Most of the dogs don't seem phased by the dead deer carcass laying there bloated for a week.

Salomon poisoning is an interesting one out in the pacific north west. The dead salmon carry a ricketsial disease that will kill a dog darned quick, but the dogs sure love to eat them at spawning.

Horse hooves with a nasty thrush smell are like candy to dogs. Why? They come back inside and puke that crap all over the carpet and go right back out for more. WTF?

Cats seem to have more sense than dogs about this sort of thing.

Comment

Watch out for the xylitol, it is frequently used in sweetened liquid medicines, and pharmacy techs will dispense it without thinking about it unless you order compounding with no xylitol.
                            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Lynn, VERY GOOD POINT!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X