No announcement yet.

History Channel Series Alone Premier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to see you off the show so early AA, but I can't blame you. Being practically defenseless while being hunted by wolves, I would have done the same thing.
    http://www.nstactical.com For all your prepping, tactical, freeze dried food, first aid, surplus, water filtration, and body armor needs!

Comment

I decided to let him post the photo if he wants, which I'm sure he will.

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Bummer AA, but can't blame you at all.

Kelly

Comment

The show didn't really do justice what happened. But that's because most of it wasn't filmed. When the three wolves showed up I was asleep. My camera gear was in its case about hundred yards away. I don't know if they were fighting or fornicating, from where I sat it didn't matter. All I could imagine was the realization I was sitting in a Togo sack under a trap. They were so damn loud and close, actually coming right through the camp once. It was also darker than a well diggers ass. I couldn't see anything. Eventually I made a run for kit just so I use the NV camera to see something! It sucked. Things didn't go the way I wanted them to but I have no regrets.
          I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Hello AA,

As I watched the episode where you made the decision to remove yourself from the situation the show placed you in, I sympathized for all the many thoughts that you may have been going through your mind. I wouldn't typically post on a site that is more "survival or prepper" oriented, as I tend to view things a bit differently (but not completely) than "survivalist" typically do. To each their own, peace to them for it...

I just wanted to reach out publicly, because I agree...many will..."jump on" those that make the same decision as you have and leave that show and the situation they find themselves. "MOST!!" that will be cruel or critical...really don't have a clue, and will only criticize from their "armchairs," while a few may have some experience, but zero compassion or understanding. So...online or off, there are some of us out here in the "viewing public" that "do have" experience, and still have compassion for what you have felt and experienced. It brings back the old..."walk a mile in someone else's shoes" parable, which to me has always meant not just perhaps their "shoes" but the way the other person "perceives" the world around them...I am glad you are home safe, and hope you find a way to return one day for yourself, yet perhaps with different skills and understanding...Weapons were less the issue than individual erudition, mindset, past exposures, and situational life skills to that given biome...I think that is where these shows fail and set folks up for "drama" and not success...

To other members:

I probably won't spend a lot of time on here (who knows??) as I probably don't "fit in," but will always respect others perspectives (and will be respectful even if I don't agree.)

On that note...some recent comments here (and elsewhere in chat rooms) about the show...I speak from experience and living/experiencing a different style life than perhaps many here (maybe??.) That isn't meant as a "better than," or "challenge," so anyone that feels that way...please don't. This is one of the better shows of it's type, similar to "Naked and Afraid," and tends to reflect people in situations that most would never find themselves.

As for that part of the world (Northern Vancouver Island,) and predators...I know it may not be a popular view here, but "howling at wolves" is neither stupid or foolhardy..."IF"...the person doing it has some understanding behind what they are doing...In support of some that shared a counter view to this...I doubt very much if (Sam?) or any other members on the show currently realize or have experience with these animals in an "up close and personal" relationship, or understand what "talking to them" does without really knowing what they are saying...or why they are saying it (other than being "novel".) So on that point, it may seem like a "cool idea" to howl at Wolves, or "talk to Bears," as one person also did, but I have never recommended it to any of my clients or students. When asked why, I explain that speaking another person's language without understand the "basics" of what your are saying can be rather dangerous in some situations...Ursid will respond more to the "tone and inflection" of a humans voice and their scent, than they do to "what someone is saying." Canids that howl, do so to communicate with pack members, among other things, and more importantly to...establish dominance in a territory.

It will be interesting to follow along as this show progresses...I actually find this one (and its members) of interest and worth watching...

Regards,

j
            Dear Angery American Members,

For additional information about subjects I have post on, please feel free to contact me at tosatomo@gmail.com if you wish, or through other means at http://about.me/tosatomo. I am always glad to help where I can...

Regards,

j

Comment

Hi J. Those on this board have never had a problem with someone who disagrees with them, as long as it's done in a respectful and reasoned manner, which yours was. We appreciate your comments.
              While we may see the world through different eyes, we tend to try to be helpful to each other. The various internet "trolls" that come around just to prove their superiority don't last long here.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay C. White Cloud

as I probably don't "fit in,"
                You've said that more than once. Why not hang out a bit before you decide?
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
                  You've said that more than once. Why not hang out a bit before you decide?
                  J, i AGREE with W.LYNN!

You will never imagine how 'different' I feel I am in some ways from most people on this group,[background, experience, culture, skills etc ]and I feel very 'comfortable' here...
                  This series play out in an environment that is very 'alien' to me, but I can really appreciate the different participants skills,emotions, psychological mindsets in a unknown crises situation etc, but am in NO way in a position to criticize, [and will never] what maybe could or should be done in a certain situation etc...
                  Stick around for a while longer...

I know the feeling when
                  SOMETIMES THE ODDS ARE JUST NOT WITH EVEN THE BEST..!!

TAKE CARE..

11215872_647389795362350_5801358783550210412_n.jpg
                  Last edited by Observe; 06-30-2015, 03:53 AM.
                  Sometimes the mind can not comprehend what the eye can not see...

Comment

AA!
                    Welcome home home! Glad you made it out safe man! Them dogs ain't nothin to take lightly. Mad "man" points for taking on that kinda challenge! I read your thread about the rule of no firearms! Whew! And you still gave it a shot! Mad respect! One rule iv'e lived by is one Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face". Iv'e been in many situation where that X-factor pops up and you have to adjust fire or ghost the situation. Anyone can go out and roll the dice on taking on the wild and it's animals, but it takes a wise/educated person to keep their head on a swivel and spot the dangers and address the situation, and for that I solute you!

Comment

IMG_5555.jpg This was one of our stops on our vacation we just took. The wolf came from a place where they are breed for the wolf pups that then are sold to/ donated to zoo's and other exhibits. This one was raised from a pup and likes humans where there were 3 others in the enclosure had other feelings towards us. This one enjoyed being around us. It was neat to hear them howl at night just feet from the bedroom window but if I was like Chris in the wild and I was on the dinner menu, no thanks. As you can see they are tall and all muscle, take that times a wolf pack and there will be no happy ending.
                      If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Hey Kickstand,

Thanks for the kind words, and I will always strive, above all else, to be of service to the members on all the little esoteric "tiddbits" I have learned along the way...

Hello Observe, and thanks for the "buddy request" (I think I set it up correctly??

I really love the lion up the tree!! Water Buffalo are nothing to mess with when someone is out numbered or flanked...

I have been up in the Pacific North West (mainly the Tongass Region) a number of times, and have ties to the Native people there. It is a lovely and enchanting region, but not for the ill equipped or indoctrinated, that's for sure, and I think this show will reflect more of that as time goes on...

Thanks again AA for the kind email and everyone else's welcome!!

For additional information about subjects I have post on, please feel free to contact me at tosatomo@gmail.com if you wish, or through other means at http://about.me/tosatomo. I am always glad to help where I can...

Regards,

j

Comment

Welcome Jay !
                          People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                          ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Hey boss man, after your experience, and after talking with the other participants, what would you change if you had the chance to have another go at it?

I know that YOU know what you chose, but here's his loadout for the rest.
                            1. Saw
                            2. Axe
                            3. Sleeping bag
                            4. Ferro rod
                            5. Large 2 quart pot
                            6. Water bottle canteen
                            7. 300 yards of single filament fishing line with 25 assorted hooks
                            8. Bow and 6 arrows
                            9. Knife
                            10. Sharpening stone
                            Defund the Media !!

Comment

Great question...and as I further enjoy watching the progression of this show, I find myself further intrigued and interested in possibly "taking a shot at it" if they would think me viable and perhaps not too "over qualified" (if that is possible?)

I know that they have headlamps, and a phone and cameras, plus it would seem appropriate clothing that is not part of the "10 item list." I know for myself, I would select:

1. A Japanese "willow leaf saw."
                              2. A Japanese or Korean style mid range "hewing axe."
                              3. The largest pot they would let me take but not greater than 20 liters. If possible and they allowed "cast iron cauldron style with lid," that is what I would take. If restricted on size I would still like a "cast cauldron with lid," of a size they would allow...
                              4. I saw "fishing kits" and would replace this will a complete field "sewing kit."
                              5. 25 mm "long nec" #5 swoop gouge in Japanese "white steel."
                              6. Scrub plane.
                              7. Custom froe.
                              8. A double "z rig" pulley set with rope kit.
                              9. 20 mm "T augor" or related boring tool...or multitool...still not sure on this one???
                              10. My traditional bedroll (I still use and sleep in every night as I have most of my life...and outside whether it is 40 below or when I am out west and 100 degrees.) Just can't get to sleep inside buildings or sleep well in them...Never have and never will I amagine.

That seems to be where my list has started and stayed since I began watching the show...

Regards,

j

Comment

The problem Jay is half the items on your list were not on the approved list. I'm not sure who came up with that list but it was interesting.

Kick, as for changes. I would swap the fishing kit for a gill net. I would swap the sharpening stone for paracord and I would swap the bow for a tarp. They gave us tarps but they were untreated canvas and I would take a high quality waterproof tarp. Other than that I was good. I'd still like to have the bow, but would take all fishing arrows. I was the only person to bring those the first time and they probably would have paid off but we got there late and the salmon run was over.
                                I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Working...
                                X