No announcement yet.

40 round PMags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went with the 60 Round Surefire, mainly because they passed the standard to be used by the military. They are a hair longer, and save a lot of time for magazine changes.

Comment

Originally posted by unseenone View Post
      I went with the 60 Round Surefire, mainly because they passed the standard to be used by the military. They are a hair longer, and save a lot of time for magazine changes.
      I agree 100% with Unseenone, I have personally used the 60 rd mags and had no feed issues. Not that much bigger either so doesn't feel awkward. http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equ...magazines.html
      2TNA = 2nd to none Arms, Albany, Oregon
      Where a big 2 and a big A matter...

"They that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think for many folks the 40 round PMAG is about $18 give or take and the Surefire 60 round mag is about $60. So bang for the buck is probably a factor there. The 40 round mags stick out a bit more than I might normally prefer but it's not a huge issue. Humping around 6 or 8 40 round mags may become a bit challenging but I would suppose the same to be said for those 60 round mags. One of those 60 rounders would be a great starter mag but in the end I think having more of the traditional capacity 30 round mags would probably be the way to go. If you have to hold your firearm on target for a long time believe me you start thinking about lightening the load when and where you can. Not every spot is the perfect prone supported position where you can get nice and comfortable. Some small things I've learned over the years is most gunfights happen very suddenly and fast, then they are over. Having a good supply of ammo already in the firearm isn't a bad idea. The other thing I have learned is I have never heard anyone going into a gunfight or coming out of one saying, Dang I brought too much ammo.
        Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Might be a day late and a lot of dollars short here but hahaha I'll comment real quick. So @Kickstand, you want to use while a kinda cool 30+10 mag? right on gives you that much more ammo right?

Lets break it down a bit more though, do they fit in pouches on your gear? Do they add snag points while your operating that gear? Are they in you way while operating the carry system that wasn't designed for something that long?

This is why I tell students train with what they carry, when you make a change, re-train.... that is what is required.

I am not saying I don't like the idea, I have in the bug out bag 2, 60 rnd surefire mags that don't fit well anywhere, assume first in weapon, which makes it very heavy, the second in a dump pouch, then 2 30 rnd on belt, 3 30rnd on chest. BTW that is a crap ton of ammo to carry... If the 40 rnds fit perfectly in a 30 rnd spot totally different conversation.

Comment

Knowledge prior to death is (almost) never too late. Thanks for the thoughts.
            Defund the Media !!

Comment

Hey KickStand...

So you ever make a post, then see it in action, then go "Fuck I hate being right all the time...."

Saw this the other week. Got together with a few friends that I agreed to put on some organized drills for, nothing really formal but someone had the 40rnd mags. They didn't appear to fit well... their velcro pouches barely closed, I messed with one long enough on my belt pouches to say, "nope they sit way to high and ram me in my kidneys" after that I was kinda done. While not messing with them real long, the extra length on them, made them feel a bit weird for mag changes, I just think it is something on the system that isn't needed. It adds bulk, some weight you aren't used to, and carrying complexity. That is my official ruling, everyone else's may be totally different.

Comment

Celtic has a very good point. Thought about those Surefire mags but I'm pretty sure they won't fit in my chest rig, those 40 mags will fit in my open top pouches.
                lofflorida.com

Comment

The 30 rounder works the best IMO. The 60rnd Surefire are nice, however, they are long enough that they'll interfere with prone shooting. You can work around that by canting the weapon. I picked up 2 60 rounders, but I'll stick with 30 round mags primarily. You can get carriers for the Surefire though.

Comment

old post but thought i would touch on it.

I use the 30 round pmags and only put 29 rounds in them makes for a smoother load and ejection. If you need more than that just carry more mags. honestly if youre unloading 40+ rounds chances are youre in something that you better have more than 1 mag. 30 rounders are cheap and proven.

Comment

Working...
                    X