Took me HAM test today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Did you buy the programming cable? The real programing cable not the cheapest one?

If not get it.

I will email you a file I use in AZ to show you the format.

Use k5ehx.net to find the repeaters near you. If you need help figuring it out call me and I will walk you through it.

Comment

When using CHIRP, under the "Radio" tab at the top, you can "Import From Data Source". I chose "Repeaterbook", then you give it your county and band, and it will automatically load the known repeaters with the proper tones and offsets. I have a file with 2m and 70cm repeaters for Lake County, FL saved if you'd like me to email it to you. I have no way of knowing/testing to see if they work, but there's 25 different repeaters on it.
        CHIRP can be a little frustrating to use at times. Sometimes it will work flawlessly, other times, it will not want to load/clone the radio, other times it won't see the COM port. If you happen to get the error that it's not finding or can't access the COM port, reboot your computer.
        Make sure that you're in a relaxed mood and ready for a little challenge when you attempt to use it the first time, otherwise you may end up tossing either the radio or the computer across the room. And, make sure that your radio is set to a frequency that isn't in use or on a repeater frequency when you go to use it, as it will probably transmit when you hook up the cable, and you don't want all your new ham buddies to hear you cussing across the repeaters.
        If you need/want any assistance, feel free to shout....I won't even call you names like some others on here might.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Kick

I bought the real cable and tried to import my local file from my FT 60 from the RT systems software and it failed. I posted a not on the yahoo forum and I guy asked me to send the file to him. He reformatted it(I had descriptions and other fields that chip did not like) and when I tried that one it work perfectly.

Comment

Send me that file, I'm going to look all this up but a leg up would be appreciated.
            I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Tried messing with Chirp but says it cant open the com port. The drivers are good I think it's the stupid OS on this machine. I'll break out the old XP machine and try it on that one, i had Chirp running on it before so it should work.
              I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Chirp can be VERY finicky. I usually have to try 3 to 5 times, then it will work just fine, then I'll lose the COM port and have to reboot.
                The first time that i tried to use CHIRP with my Baofeng UV5Rs, I spent about an hour and a half, with many explicatives said and questions raised about whether the engineer's parents were married, wishing that someone would go all Nagasaki on China, etc. Then, for some reason unknown to me, it just started working, at least most of the time.

The only reason i bring all this up is to say that you're not alone. Getting it to work the first time can be trying.

Oh yeah, with the COM port error, don't just "restart" the pc, actually shut it down and power back up.
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

FTDI USB Com adapter, and software that is not a piece of shit will solve the problem. I can tell you, I have two USB com ports and two Serial devices. One doesn't work worth a shit half the time, fails in the middle of communications, etc. the other never had a single glitch.

NOT WORTH A SHIT http://blackbox-solutions.com/

works flawlessly http://byonics.com/

Comment

From the ARRL newletter today

Hey SAC he is one for you

Virginia Ham Test Session Yields Winners from Ages 9 to 90
                    None of the 34 candidates at a February 28 ARRL VEC Amateur Radio testing session in Virginia's Tidewater region went home empty handed. Among the successful applicants was a nonagenarian former licensee who had been out of ham radio for 60 years, and sisters aged 9 and 12. Every applicant passed at least one of the tests attempted. Turnout at the session, sponsored jointly by the Hampton Public Service Team (HPST) and the Southern Peninsula Amateur Radio Klub (SPARK), was impressive, said Volunteer Examiner Tom Taché, WE4TOM.

"We had some stunning results," Taché said. "Four of the individuals who came in with no license earned their Extra tickets at this exam session, and another individual who already had a license also earned an Extra ticket." Robert Uiterwyk, W3AF, headed the 15-member VE team.

A 90-year-old man who had not been licensed since the 1950s rejoined the ham radio ranks by passing the Technician test, then presented his 1950-vintage Advanced ticket to qualify for a General license. An 80-year-old man became a ham for the first time by passing the Technician examination. A 9-year-old girl and her 12-year-old sister both earned their Technician licenses, and a 10-year-old girl and her 12-year-old brother both earned General tickets at the test session. Four candidates went from Tech to Extra in one fell swoop, passing all three license exams at the Virginia session.

Candidates are briefed by the VE team prior to the February 28 test session in Virginia. [Robert Uiterwyk, W3AF, photo]

Taché said 23 candidates walked in the door unlicensed, and all left with a ham ticket in hand. Seventeen of the newbies earned Technician licenses, while another six went on to pass the General exam, and four continued on to earn their Amateur Extra license. One applicant achieved a perfect score on all three examinations. The turnout represented an all-time record for the groups' test sessions, and Taché said it was especially impressive for an exam session not held in conjunction with a hamfest.

Taché credited three factors with contributing to increased interest in the examination session: The SPARK website, word of mouth among area hams, and Technician licensing classes that SPARK had offered in January and February.

Of the 52 examinations that were administered, six candidates who attempted the General test and two who took the Amateur Extra exam did not pass.

Comment

Ok, maybe I don't have that file....well, I do, but it's a .cvs file, and won't load to the UV5R. I would appear that the UV5R must be in .img format. I'm workin' on it....
                      Defund the Media !!

Comment

I sent him one that has the correct format to import and has all of the GMRS and FRS freqs on it as well.

I sent them to you to so you dont whine

Comment

AD.. Did you buy the programming cable? The real programing cable not the cheapest one?

If not get it.

Man you aren't kiddin about getting a good programming cable. When I bought my Yaesu FT 270R I was playing hell trying to get that thing up and running properly. After getting a programming cable and software it's a breeze, made my like 100% better. The only drawback is they make them radio specific so I'm 100% sure it's a marketing thing to increase their profits.
                          Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Yep. I bought this one

Over $20

Comment

When I can buy the RT Systems software/cables for programing, I buy it. I have a PowerWerx DB750 for my truck amd I bought the RT Systems software and it come with the cable. Pricey but the are the BOMB!!!

Comment

Thanks AD. Good encouragement. Really - it's all in my head - I got this.

Comment

Working...
                                X