Lets talk Night Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unseenone View Post
    I'm interested in NVG gear, scopes that do not fall under ITAR restrictions, or can be bought by a foreign person legally from a source other than US. Think Safari outfitters in South Africa..
    That I will have to look into... I know there are some trusted retailers out there but off the top of my head I don't know who they are. I will look into it.

Comment

An ITT tube makes a hell of a difference. Still have some protection from a ion barrier film, but increased performance in low light conditions.

I would advise being careful with an ITT tube regarding shock resistance which is a downside. The thinner film is also more prone to damage.
      Even still, the benifit outweigh the negatives.
      If something more robust is needed, pvs 22 will get there albeit at 3x the cost.
      When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Originally posted by Cwi555 View Post
        An ITT tube makes a hell of a difference. Still have some protection from a ion barrier film, but increased performance in low light conditions.

I would advise being careful with an ITT tube regarding shock resistance which is a downside. The thinner film is also more prone to damage.
        Even still, the benifit outweigh the negatives.
        If something more robust is needed, pvs 22 will get there albeit at 3x the cost.
        ITT tubes are rated for rifle mounting on an AR platform using 5.56/223, NOT .308. As mentioned here they are sensitive but not in the sense of "Ooops I dropped it and the film gets damaged." I mean when you get right down to it the film, is about 1/100th the thickness of a human hair. This is also what some people will call Gen 3+, as this improvement came as a direct result of attempts to improve light transmission and image quality.

Oh and don't go dropping your nightvision devices.

Comment

Yes I was aware of that. Which was what prompted the the mention of pv 22. However, shock is shock regardless of its source. Shock can be worded in terms stresses. Comprehensive, torsional, shear, combinations etc. Those three are the usual suspects for a weapons optics system. The most likely to destroy or harm optics is torsional, but shear can do a number on them as well.
          Originally posted by Celti cRaven View Post
          ITT tubes are rated for rifle mounting on an AR platform using 5.56/223, NOT .308. As mentioned here they are sensitive but not in the sense of "Ooops I dropped it and the film gets damaged." I mean when you get right down to it the film, is about 1/100th the thickness of a human hair. This is also what some people will call Gen 3+, as this improvement came as a direct result of attempts to improve light transmission and image quality.

Oh and don't go dropping your nightvision devices.
          When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

I think a good continuation here will be headwear, and mounting, maybe looping in targeting systems. I've been thinking about this thread a lot.

Comment

After much research I went to TNVC and bought their "Night Enforcer" PVS-14 made by ITT Exelis it was a chunk of change for sure but it was one that needed to be done... at night is when we will be most vulnerable and I refuse to be at a disadvantage by not having them or by having subpar equipment. Took me a while to save up for but I'm happy I did... now my problem is this... Do I keep it at home for my family or do I chance carrying that thing in my car wherever I go? pretty pricey to be leaving in the trunk!

Comment

I also went and picked up a nice helmet so as not to be burdened with the skull crusher... found a guy that rebuilds them with all new hardware and will paint them for you at a fraction of the cost... When I bought my unit I also spent some change on the mount. Again, no sense in losing the darn things or breaking them by falling off... that and I wanted proper adjustment as well. Money well spent!

Comment

Still waiting for answers to the questions raised.. LOL

That's one place I would order from TNVC

Comment

While I have good vision at night, I do hope to have a night-vision device eventually. I can handle low-light, but in heavy cover some tech would be nice.
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Used this at a friend's place last month. We were able to see well out to 200m plus with or without the ir. The price is low and it is too early to know about durability, but it seemed well made. And less than $200 you can have several..

Comment

unseenone,
                        I did some inital peeks at this but honestly I don't know much about NV and getting it outside the states. Most of what I have seen on websites outside the US looks like Gen 1, junk...

Comment

Originally posted by ADV1 View Post
                          now my problem is this... Do I keep it at home for my family or do I chance carrying that thing in my car wherever I go? pretty pricey to be leaving in the trunk!
                          Get two. Problem solved.
                          Seriously, most cars have some pretty sweet hiding spots in the trunk if you get creative. Pickups have all sorts of nice places under the bed. The only thing you will run into is if your hidey hole can fit the storage vessel you use to protect said investment. I'm thinking pelican-like case. Those things dont hide well especially if you attempt any type of EMP protection.

If you keep it in your vehicle try to centrally locate it. Pelican cases don't provide much in the way of car-crushing protection. EMP hits or someone runs a red light... you could get hit. Am I overthinking it? Negative, ghost rider. You have to increase your safety factor for said item when you are dealing with a force multiplying piece of gear. Especially when you have to spend the same amount for it as a years worth of dehydrated food for 4 people (just to step into the quality market)

Comment

Working...
                          X