No announcement yet.

Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nich - What kind of tomatoes are they?

Dode - We had that with a stupid box turtle. I kept moving the little guy and he reappeared within a day or two. I even caught him in the act.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• They are Heirloom Mortgage Lifters (Beefsteak).

We have moles galore here. Just found a new tunnel under the corn I just planted!
      NICHEVO

Comment

• Bucket of veggies picked today. We are getting too much rain again. I don't think the tomatoes are going to make it.

Veggie Bucket.jpg
        NICHEVO

Comment

• It's rained here everyday for the past 5 day's storms and down pours my garden's are starting to show the effects luckily we have had the sun shine thru here and there between storms.

Comment

• We had 2 days of sun and I got in the big garden and finally got my tomato's staked and tied. the weeds have taken over a hoeing I will go. I got little vegies on all the plants . The wife just brought home the first round of canning supply's . It's about to get busy round here.
            downsized_0623151226b.jpg
            downsized_0623151225.jpg
            Not great pictures from this crappy phone. I cant ever tell in the sunlight what all is on the screen . TK

Comment

• Hot Damn just sludged up to the soggy garden ( STILL RAINING) to check on things and noticed a cucumber sized Zucchini went to take a closer look lifted some big leaves and this big old boy was hiding in there.
              0628151159.jpg
              These thing grow over night . We our going to slice this baby up dunk it in egg and bread it in Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and fry it in oil and onions right now first one of the year and just in time for Sunday dinner . TK

Comment

• I gave you the before . Here's the after'
                0628151317.jpg
                it was good.

Comment

• Oh dang, I'm not a zucchini guy, but dang that looks and sounds good !
                  Defund the Media !!

Comment

• This is what a garden looks like after 2 weeks of heavy off and on rain with very little sun. I can only assume that my onions and potato's are drowning. Our ground is totally saturated and the water is just puddled any where it is flat. I should have grown rice.
                    downsized_0701150909a.jpg
                    downsized_0701150908.jpg
                    downsized_0701150909.jpg
                    I have seen before in wet years how the tomato's will look fine green but immediately rot when they start to ripening . 1st cutting hay has gone to head so you people here in the east who need it look for sky high hay prices . What little 1st cutting the farmers got in around here is in demand . Square 60lb bales are bringing $7 to$8 bucks apiece. I believe It's going to get real expensive to raise critters or buy meat this year with this and other feed crops like corn ,oats, wheat and soy beans drowning in the fields . Hopefully we'll get some sun and things will dry out soon. TK

Comment

• tk - the tomatoes - try adding calcium back into the soil, all the wet tends to leach it out. We use eggshells ground as fine as I can get them. You can also grind up calcium supplement pills (as long as its just calcium - no vit D or A or whatever combination).

Heat stress can also cause Blossom End Rot, and a calcium boost will help the plants tolerate it better.
                      Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• TK the standing water in your garden is what we are experiencing here too. We just got 1 inch of rain in less than 20 mins.

UNCLE!!!

We just can't seem to get out of this weather pattern. Over 13 inches of rain in June and now the first day of July we already have an inch. I am hoping to put some fall veggies in as this year looks to be a washout.
                        Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                        Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• I mentioned before, the weather sucks right now, but it will suck worse when the El Niño pattern arrives. Next year, maybe the year after, we'll be praying pretty hard for a bit of rain.

Until it cycles around again.
                          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• So true W.Lynn. We need to brush up on our hydroponic gardening skills this year.
                            Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• Mogs has the non-powered sort-of-beginnings down. She tank-raises some fish, and uses the waste water from tank cleaning on her veggies for both water, and fertilizer.

If I had a shady place to put it, I would start. The heat here kills things.
                              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• Flooded basement 2 weeks ago. Last night had another torrential downpour. This time, I monitored the basement and made sure the sump pump was working at all times.

Here's a pic of the kind of rain we received. This was north of me, at Busch Stadium, but the result was the same.

BuschStadiumJuly1.jpg
                                Dode

Comment

Working...
                                X