Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

prepping

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • prepping

    How I do it if I need two cans of soup for dinner I buy 4. Put two away and don't use them. I try to do this with everything food related, dry foods too have alot 70 pounds of pasta.

  • #2
    Originally posted by aramark View Post
    How I do it if I need two cans of soup for dinner I buy 4. Put two away and don't use them. I try to do this with everything food related, dry foods too have alot 70 pounds of pasta.
    This is a good idea to start getting a good pantry setup. But don't forget to rotate your food preps as well. When you buy 4 four and use 2. The other two need to go to the back of your preps. Then if you need something without running to the store, you take from the front, or the oldest preps first. This will make sure you always have the freshest food possible.

    Comment


    • #3
      Also buy in themes. The spouse I so adore is coming up on a day of consuming only clear liquids, prior to some tests. I could have covered this occasion entirely with supplies in the house already, but he grew up consuming lots of store-bought because his mom worked full time, and actually developed a taste for that stuff. So off to the store for gatorade, packaged broths (ick,) and flavored gelatin.

      I'm seeing an excuse for jello-shots in my near future.
      quam minimum credula postero

      Comment


      • #4
        Shopping the store sale flyers helps too. If you find it on sale buy 6 or a whole case depending on product/price.

        Comment


        • #5
          Also check the ads for corresponding coupons. Items tend to go on sale in 3 month rotations.

          Comment


          • #6
            W. - here's our swamp water jello shot recipe:

            Berry blue jello
            1 c. water
            1 c. Fireball whiskey

            To me, it takes like blueberry pie with a kick.

            Comment


            • #7
              .69 per box of 1lb macaroni shells at Giant, 10 box limit per visit with the club card. After 4 trips in and out and getting canned cheese, I brought everything home.
              Something like this, you don't just pass up.
              You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
              Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MillenniumMan View Post
                .69 per box of 1lb macaroni shells at Giant, 10 box limit per visit with the club card. After 4 trips in and out and getting canned cheese, I brought everything home.
                Something like this, you don't just pass up.
                The local discount grocery store has macaroni in several different shapes for the same price all the time if you buy a case of 20lbs. It's where I usually head when I need pasta.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What is your preferred stored protein? I know that lots of folks swear by canned tuna, but we just don't care for tuna, so that's a "no". We typically get a couple of cans of chicken or roast beef to go into the buckets/pantry. Canned chicken / roast beef isn't something that's in our regular diet, but we far prefer that to tuna. Any other ideas?
                  Defund the Media !

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                    What is your preferred stored protein? I know that lots of folks swear by canned tuna, but we just don't care for tuna, so that's a "no". We typically get a couple of cans of chicken or roast beef to go into the buckets/pantry. Canned chicken / roast beef isn't something that's in our regular diet, but we far prefer that to tuna. Any other ideas?
                    We don't have a good long term protein storage. Short term (1-2 years) we have a freezer full of meat which can run off the battery backup and solar panels. We also have a few cans of tuna and chicken. But nothing substantial. Eventually, I would like to get some yoder's bacon and mt house or similar freeze dried meat.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                      What is your preferred stored protein? I know that lots of folks swear by canned tuna, but we just don't care for tuna, so that's a "no". We typically get a couple of cans of chicken or roast beef to go into the buckets/pantry. Canned chicken / roast beef isn't something that's in our regular diet, but we far prefer that to tuna. Any other ideas?
                      Check out http://beprepared.com/. They have freeze dried meats such as sausage, beef, chicken, etc. These can be pricey, so I suggest you watch for the Group Specials and get on their email notifications. For example, their freeze-dried sausage was something like $52/can; then went on sale for $35 but on a recent a group buy special (12 cans), it went to $17/can with free shipping.

                      I grabbed some and intend to open one and give it a go. Hopefully it was money well spent.

                      There are other protein sources for you to consider; just do an internet search for 'high protein foods' to give yourself some ideas. Sardines are another good one but if you don't care for tuna, I'm betting those are a no-go for you, too.

                      Kelly
                      Last edited by Kelly; 07-31-2015, 09:36 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                        What is your preferred stored protein? I know that lots of folks swear by canned tuna, but we just don't care for tuna, so that's a "no". We typically get a couple of cans of chicken or roast beef to go into the buckets/pantry. Canned chicken / roast beef isn't something that's in our regular diet, but we far prefer that to tuna. Any other ideas?
                        Canned chicken, ham, bacon and beef jerky. Then perhaps kidney and pinto beans.
                        You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                        Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We have a discount grocery store here called Aldi. Their canned food is nearly half the price of the local big chains and to me it tastes better. Plus I put away canned chicken and hams, pasta, large amounts of salt and spices, oats. And this fall I plan to store some wheat from a local farmer I'm friends with. Gonna seal that in Mylar bags inside 55gal plastic barrels.
                          Plus I have a couple 5gal buckets full of Gatorade powder in 1gal mix packs and I'm adding to it all the time. Water is good, but electrolytes need to be had in some form or another also. Also have a couple hundred MRE's. Those are last resort.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have a decent supply of canned protein (short term regular items, and long-term freeze dried.) I have beans and rice, and freeze-dried fruit & vegetables, but less emphasis on things that grow 3/4s of the year, within 50 miles.
                            quam minimum credula postero

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
                              I have a decent supply of canned protein (short term regular items, and long-term freeze dried.) I have beans and rice, and freeze-dried fruit & vegetables, but less emphasis on things that grow 3/4s of the year, within 50 miles.
                              You store tumbleweeds?
                              Defund the Media !

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X