No announcement yet.

Morgans pack list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my get home bag. I am only a few miles from home. I take more if going further. 20140112_131233.jpg[ATTAfigure I canNFIG]964[/ATTACH] I figure I can pull it if I stay on the road. Not telling yall what is in it. A backpack inside a piece of luggage with rollers. I do keep cookies in it.
    Last edited by Gena.KY; 01-13-2014, 02:14 PM.
    I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Am watching a 90 on flea bay now....
      Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

Pat, I would look for one of the new Marine Corp packs, they are a lot better in my opinion. One large compartment, they will hold more of the bulkier items like sleep systems and clothes a lot easier.

As far as weight, I know you guys think it weighs a ton, but it really doesn't.
        I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Do you have any concerns about storing radios, NVG, batteries, headlight, etc. in your car especially in the summer? Thanks.

The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is no force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. Property must be secured or liberty cannot exist. John Adams

Comment

The first thing I would say is keep the batteries out of them. I use rechargeables and they won't leak like alkaline ones but it's still a good practice. Even in my safe I remove batteries from everything. As far as temps, depends on where you are. In south Florida in September it could be a real issue, but keeping them out of direct sunlight will help. It's a catch 22, do you keep them with you and risk possible damage from heat or leave them at home and hope you're there when you need them.
            I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

What is the heavy waxed string for, repairing straps, pack stitching, etc? Do you carry an awl?

Comment

Yeah, it's just a roll of string I found and tossed it in there. I do have one of the awls with spool in it but didn't discuss it in the book so I left it out. I can make cordage out of a number of things and in a primitive situation I can, but man, I really like having cordage! That string is a little bigger than the inner braid of paracord and it's green making it useful for other needs.

It's just one of those things that finds it's way into pack.
                I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

A good source of waxed string is dental floss, Its an awesome almost unbreakable waterproof thread and the dispenser has its own spool and cutter.

Comment

I took the kids to an event 3 hours away in Atlanta last weekend. The Home series has had me thinking a lot about the what ifs of travel. In my car I usually only carry an XDM, a spare mag, and a multitool. For several years I have wearing stout Merrells in case I have to hoof it. After reading Going Home, I decided to take a small pack with a couple of water bottles, a few freeze dried meals, headlight, Kbar, 100 feet of 550 cord, rain jacket, tent, sleeping bag, heavy coat, and a lighter. I felt a little better knowing that I had a few thing to fall back on just in case. Thanks to the inspiration of Morgan's pack, I plan on getting a surplus USMC ILBE backpack and keeping it stocked. I plan on outfitting the pack with gear and taking it with me whenever I travel more than 15 miles from home. That way, I will not have to dig through my backpacking gear every time I travel. I hope I never need it, but thanks for convincing me of the need to keep more options open by having a few resources should I ever become stranded. I am sure our forefathers practiced this as a matter of course, but it seems to be a dying mindset. Again, thanks for the reminder.

Comment

If you want to protect small and medium sized electronics, think thermal mass.

Try putting them in a styrofoam cooler and wrap the cooler in wool blankets and place those in the back out of sunlight. They'll stay cold. Kind of like a buried steel pipe five feet under ground will maintain a temp of about 55f.
                      You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                      Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

Going Home mentioned an "SE5" which sat beside Morgan's driver side car door when the EMP first occured. What is an SE5?
                        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by swampfoxmd View Post
                          Going Home mentioned an "SE5" which sat beside Morgan's driver side car door when the EMP first occured. What is an SE5?
                          Thanks.
                          According to my watch the time is now
                          Past is dead and gone
                          Don't try to shake it just nod your head
                          Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Ah. Thats one of the perils of audiobooks where you have only the phonetics to go by. Sometimes I miss the paper kind. But I can "read" nearly 2 books a month driving to work and back. Its probably a bad idea to read the paper kind while driving to work.

Comment

Thanks a bunch Morgan !

On Morgans recommendation I bought myself a Grilliput

no mention in the instructions (there were none) that you need to be a member of Mensa to assemble it.

took me a good 20 minutes first time up , and in controlled conditions inside my camper and with adult supervision !! (she laughed more than once) Ok to be fair once I understood how it went together second try was about 5 minutes.

but what I must say is what a fantastic piece of bug out kit , beautiful execution & when packed takes up minimal space. No wonder Sarge had his eye on it.

In the field, assembly should not add any time to meal prep, as I can nut it out while the coals are heating up.

grilliput.jpg

Comment

GB, I used mine this weekend to cook on, grilled a nice trout. Don't know why it took so long to put together, maybe cause you're upside down there in the land of Oz. It is a cool piece though and I use mine a lot.
                                I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Working...
                                X