No announcement yet.

Food bearing trees.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I moved the orange seedlings outside. They may only be suitable as root stock, but I have to keep them alive until they either flower and set fruit, or obviously don't - then I learn grafting. Soaking some lemon seeds now.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

This year's orange seedlings are doing well, all the ones that are still in plastic cups, and the first two that I thought might've died are up again. They're all getting direct sun for most of the day, and being watered every 3 or 4 days.

I have 3 blueberries now, the first two have gone into modest pots to allow them a little time to recover before I look for larger containers. The third one was on a separate order, and was pretty sorry looking when it came. It's been allowed to stay in the thin, torn, ratty-looking, nursery pot it arrived in so it could recover from shipping before it gets the added insult of being handled for repotting.

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
        This year's orange seedlings are doing well, all the ones that are still in plastic cups, and the first two that I thought might've died are up again. They're all getting direct sun for most of the day, and being watered every 3 or 4 days.

I have 3 blueberries now, the first two have gone into modest pots to allow them a little time to recover before I look for larger containers. The third one was on a separate order, and was pretty sorry looking when it came. It's been allowed to stay in the thin, torn, ratty-looking, nursery pot it arrived in so it could recover from shipping before it gets the added insult of being handled for repotting.
        Look for peet moss for the blue berries as they like acid soil , a friend used Rhododendron fertilizer for them .

Comment

With the heat, I'm down to 1 avocado, 2 blueberries, and a handful of the oranges, but that's still more than I would have had if I hadn't tried at all.

Comment

With the heat, I'm down to 1 avocado, 2 blueberries, and a handful of the oranges, but that's still more than I would have had if I hadn't tried at all.
            More Radiation (UV) is getting thru the atmosphere frying and drying out plants , if they are small enough shade them , our trees here are stressed an losing leaves , grass drying out, garden so so , it'll just be getting worse until about 2035 , then it's a pole shift ( SHTF) time .

Comment

Originally posted by airdrop View Post

More Radiation (UV) is getting thru the atmosphere frying and drying out plants , if they are small enough shade them , our trees here are stressed an losing leaves , grass drying out, garden so so , it'll just be getting worse until about 2035 , then it's a pole shift ( SHTF) time .
              I think the pole shift will much sooner than that, the CME's are what concerns me the most.
              Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Update, I brought in the plants over the freeze, the ones I had listed before are still alive!

Comment

Some plants were looking pretty ragged, so I had them near the sink. They're all gone now, but two oranges that went outside stayed out there near the blueberries, so they're still good. More recently, I found a tiny pot at a drugstore that was insanely crowded with tiny dragon fruit seedlings. They seem to be surviving the handling as I break up the bunch of them and repot them as much smaller groups. Everything online says they grow well (even outdoors here,) but require strong support or trellises.

Comment

The first bunch of tiny clusters seem to be doing ok, so I did more. I'll give them all another week, and start sending them off to live with other people.

Comment

We're looking forward to a bumper crop of pears this year, our two trees are loaded.
                      [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

I had the two little citrus starts that had gone through dying back and coming back up once already, gave one to one of my best local friends, and moved the other to better shelter as the storms can be kind of wild.

Comment

I have been letting our goats into the garden to eat the abundant weeds and leftover bean/pea plants. That has been working fairly well until today when I caught one of the worthless caprines eating the bark off the peach tree. After putting them back in their pen I inspected the damage, and it's likely terminal. A strip more than 12" high all the way around the tree has been stripped of bark. I'm tempted to shoot the goat I caught in the act, but I'd bet her sister and granny had a part in the crime as well.

I searched for anything that might save the tree and found something called "bridge grafting". It involves cutting new growth branches about 1/4" to 3/8" diameter and a few inches longer than the damage, then shaving an angle on both ends of the branch, slitting the bark and slipping the ends of the branch into the slits above and below the girdling. A couple of hours later in the 98 degree heat, I have 3 attempted bridge grafts on the tree. Unfortunately I won't know if it worked for sure until next spring.

Comment

Goats and the donkey worked over one of our pear trees a couple years ago, it was bad but luckily they didn't get the full 360⁰ and the tree survived although the limb next to the damage broke off this spring. I sold my goats not long after that when they decided to break out of the pasture, smash the very expensive garden fence I had just finished for the missus and then proceeded to make her flower garden look like an angry drunk with a weed eater had vented his life's frustrations on it.
                            [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Why sell what can be freezer meat?

Comment

Why sell what can be freezer meat?
                                You don't put Esmerelda or Beau in the freezer. Or in my case, you don't put a $250 dairy goat in the freezer. That's all that's keeping me from shooting the culprit.

Comment

Working...
                                X