Dakota MURS Driveway alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakota MURS Driveway alarm

Found it mentioned on the survival blog and thought I'd post it here. Here's the link to the article.
    https://survivalblog.com/jwrs-recommendations-week-166/ .

Anyway, i own one of these. Actually owned the other version too which is the same concept but operates on a different frequency. The range was not good with the previous one. Make sure you get the MURS version if you pursue this type of device.
    These things are awesome. a bit expensive but awesome. The ONLY drawback is that since they detect metal they will go off constantly during t-storms. For this reason i highly suggest hard wiring the power for the detector. Otherwise you'll be like me and get to replace the (4) CR123A batteries about 3-4 times per year due to storms.
    Range is great but i'm only 175' feet away. Since its MURS you can tune your Baofeng into the specific frequency, not have to buy the $80 murs handheld but still know when some drives up if you're in the back part of your property (assuming you have reception).
    Lastly, the base receiver has relay outputs. This means you can hook up to any IO-type device and use it to communicate via a smarthome system or use it to trigger other devices depending on your setup.

Again, I have no interest in this company nor have anything to gain by promoting this product. Simply want to share knowledge. Also, i've had this device installed for 4+ years now with only issue being storms.

Word of advice, if you string trim near where you are going to put this... terminate the detector cable above ground using conduit of some kind. Needless to say you are benefiting from my lesson learned.

I bought one for my gate last year, it was advertised as "two mile range", but it would not transmit the 3/4 of a mile from the gate to the house so i sent it back...still looking.
    [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Per google earth mine is ~220'. It is through a light patch of trees but the box is 10' off the ground mounted in a tree on the house-side of the tree. My house is brick and the base station is inside the middle of the house. Straight line path of transmission requires it to travel through three walls, one being the brick exterior.

Comment

Mine was +-3700' it didn't stand a chance...
        [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Driveway .jpg
          This sounds like an interesting idea. I had one of those cheap Harbor Freight motion detector alarms by my driveway, but kept getting false alarms, so I removed it.

Attached is a snapshot taken from my driveway security camera. I can easily see it, *IF* I'm not watching something on TV and just happen to be watching the cameras. We rarely get anyone in our driveway, but it would be nice to be notified if someone is there. I'm just concerned about the same false alarms. Pointed towards the metal gate may trigger it. Pointed to much towards the road may trigger it. Will cars or trucks driving by trigger it?
          Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
            This sounds like an interesting idea. I had one of those cheap Harbor Freight motion detector alarms by my driveway, but kept getting false alarms, so I removed it.

Attached is a snapshot taken from my driveway security camera. I can easily see it, *IF* I'm not watching something on TV and just happen to be watching the cameras. We rarely get anyone in our driveway, but it would be nice to be notified if someone is there. I'm just concerned about the same false alarms. Pointed towards the metal gate may trigger it. Pointed to much towards the road may trigger it. Will cars or trucks driving by trigger it?
            First, if you put it under your gate and your gate is metallic then it will likely go off.
            IN the picture your drive is just off the road, IMO. If you place the device about 5-10' towards the road from your gate, this should allow you to eliminate false reads from someone just turning around. Regardless, you can adjust the sensitivity to help mitigate false reads.

With the proximity to the road that your gate is.. it could be difficult to eliminate all false reads since a longer vehicle might need to get close to your gate to turnaround (granted it looks like a large pad in front of the gate so, for me, id just swing it wide and not do any backing).
            If you do get one... dont put it too close to the gate. Stay conscious of how close you think the average person visiting you will get to the gate. Otherwise you might not pick them up until they enter.

Comment

I'm putting the link to the actual device here so I don't have to keep scrolling through the other page to find it.

Thanks for the info. I'm not really concerned about turn-arounds, just being notified if someone pulls up to the gate.

What does it transmit? A recorded voice? Beeping? Machine gun fire? How high above ground do you mount the transmitter box? I am strongly considering that Alert Probe things.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                I'm putting the link to the actual device here so I don't have to keep scrolling through the other page to find it.

Thanks for the info. I'm not really concerned about turn-arounds, just being notified if someone pulls up to the gate.

What does it transmit? A recorded voice? Beeping? Machine gun fire? How high above ground do you mount the transmitter box? I am strongly considering that Alert Probe things.
                Mine transmits "Alert Zone 1. Alert Zone 1." I'm not joking. If you want a compound/fortress alert tone... this is money
                The previous one, the non-MURS one (it has a white base station) it actually played a tone (4 to choose from) that sounded like a doorbell. We keep the sound down simply b/c it almost removes all doubt for anyone visiting... that i'm Burt Gummer.

I mounted the transmitter box about 10' above ground but only b/c the tree i mounted it to didnt have any branches to hide it until that height. Its already on a hill so height for transmission was not a driver at all.
                the sensor has 50-75' of wire so you can mount the transmitter a ways away. The biggest consideration for mounting would be finding a place that has the clearest line of sight. If you're close like i am, IMO, i dont believe this to be much of a concern.

Comment

Click!

Burt Gummer is my role model. Your failure is that you allow visitors.
                  Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                  X