Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Oregon

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rick and I'm from the beautiful state of Oregon. I've loved A. American's books for quite some time now and stumbled across his forum via Facebook. What prompts me to read forums like this is to learn as much as possible from others that are preparing for what may happen. We live too soft a life nowadays and it's made us weak. Today it doesn't take much to bring us to our knees and those who are doing what they can to prepare for this will be much better off. I plan to be one of those people.

Looking forward to hearing the many great discussions from everyone.

Hello, the rest will turn up sooner or later.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Hi Rick, welcome from New Mexico. I would have sworn that I already posted this welcome, but since it's not here, I probably failed to hit the "Post Reply" button.

Or you in Urban or Rural Oregon? Do you have backup plans if power should go down? Do you work far from home?

I'm really not trying to be too nosy, just trying to get to know you. Feel free to ignore any question that seems to be a bit too personal.
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Welcome from SE WV.

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
          Hi Rick, welcome from New Mexico. I would have sworn that I already posted this welcome, but since it's not here, I probably failed to hit the "Post Reply" button.

Or you in Urban or Rural Oregon? Do you have backup plans if power should go down? Do you work far from home?

I'm really not trying to be too nosy, just trying to get to know you. Feel free to ignore any question that seems to be a bit too personal.
          Hi and thanks.

Suburbs. We had a little farm out in rural Oregon, but decided to sell it. Regretting that now. We don't have backup power and no good way to do that here. I actually work from home.

I don't think power will be my biggest concern really. We're experienced backpackers and have a lot of gear that would work for us to do well without power. Biggest concern here is if it's just not safe to stay here anymore for some reason. We really need to work on a plan if we had to bug out. Not just go off into the woods, but a real plan and place to go somewhere safer.

Comment

Bugging out is an option, but you really should have a destination in mind. Of course, sometimes "Anywhere but here" is good. But, it's usually good if you have a location that you can prepare so that you don't have to end up living in a tent (which isn't much fun in winter!), or so that you don't go to what you think will be an unpopulated location, only to find a crowd there.

To that regards, having a vehicle which will run in a SHTF event would be good. That usually means an older Diesel, with no electronics. But, there aren't very many of them that are still road worthy. Most modern vehicles, gasoline and Diesel alike, have electronics, which will be toasted by a NEMP/CME. Failing the older Diesel, other options may be a Diesel tractor (slow but dependable), bicycles perhaps with trailers, or even carts/wagons. A horse would also be useful, although that's probably impractical in a suburban setting. Does anyone else have ideas? (Hmm, might be good for a separate thread.)

Comment

Yeah that's one of our goals is to purchase a piece of land somewhere off a body of water which will provide some possibility of fishing. I'm a good fisherman. We also have done quite a bit of bicycle touring so I think we have the transportation part covered. Lots of things to consider but I think the biggest one is finding like minded people that we can depend on. Doing all the things needed by myself isn't possible.

Comment

Originally posted by AK74 View Post
                《SNIP》
                I actually work from home.
                Well, at least your GHB won't be too difficult to carry.
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Welcome to the board AK. Glad you found us here.
                  I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Hi AK! Welcome from MO.
                    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Working...
                    X