No announcement yet.

Book five.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dissertation on the nature of philosiphy as it applies to long winded forum posts.

My first post in these forums so my apologies for the length. Just finished book 5 and I have to say I'm fairly well impressed with the storyline overall across these books. I especially appreciate how these books grab the different points of view from looters to survivors to victims (harsh word but this is what they make themselves) and bring out the moral and philosophical pieces of those characters to help define in plain terms anyone can understand why they do what they do.

It's hard for a lot of people to really grab on to how utterly dependent they and others make themselves on the government or those around them because they are unwittingly part of that group themselves and lack the perspective to realize it. It is also hard for those in a self-reliance mindset to see things from the perspective of someone who never got the wake up call that the world around them will only truly reward them for what they put in. This is (IMHO) in large part because we are living in a society so bent on their personal sense of entitlement that they can't separate themselves from the crowd long enough to see they are refusing to take ownership of and responsibility for their own lives.

A lot of people want to believe that they can get all of the benefits for none of the work and as thermodynamics proves every day if the energy going into the system is less than the energy coming out, the system will eventually stop. These books seem to me to be written so that these ideas are clearly expressed in terms anyone can understand to allow them to see the perspective of someone who wants to own their future, not just ride along where the hand feeding them wants them to go.

These books seem written both for people already in the survival mindset and for those who would never have thought this way on their own. I have heard comparisons of these books to those written by Rawles, Forstchen, Heinlein and Rand and it seems that AA is much closer to Forstchen and Heinlein with a bit of Rand as he is trying to put out both a wake up call and the idea that in all things you need to think for yourself and own your actions, or lack of, and their consequences.

Rawles characters seem rigid and inflexible in their approaches to situations while AA's characters bring the idea that many solutions could/will work (and some wont) but that you don't stop with suggestions you are handed from a manual, you have to keep going until you find a solution that works and own the results good or bad.
    Last edited by AD; 01-23-2015, 02:51 PM. Reason: Paragraphs Please.

Comment

• Welcome. Thermodynamics??? You sound like another loser engineer like me

Now go post something in the http://angeryamerican.net/forumdispl...86-Welcome-Mat section about yourself. As little or as much as you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by AD View Post
        Welcome. Thermodynamics??? You sound like another loser engineer like me
        Hey, you watch your mouth, sir!

Comment

• Mechanical here.

Comment

• AD, that is no way to talk to a new member. Shame on you. You oversized bully!!!
            I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

• Hahahaha. Why am I not surprised that there are a bunch of engineers interested in subjects were the SHTF. Do we plan for them just in case? Or do we unintentionally cause them by thinking so much about them? To answer that accusation, lets just say my dream car would be manufactured by Carnot......

Comment

• So, it's the engineers that are going to cause SHTF then...let's get 'em!

Comment

• Carnot? Holly shit batman! I have not heard that name since the mid 70s

Here is Sarges bug out vehicle

image.jpg
                  image.jpg

Comment

• Bet yas' all Tex knows this one:

Know the difference between a cowboy and an engineer?

A cowboy's got it all over the outside of his boots. (Told to me by an old oilfield waterflood mechanic who had to put up with engineers all the time.)
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• Originally posted by AD View Post
                      Carnot? Holly shit batman! I have not heard that name since the mid 70s

Here is Sarges bug out vehicle

Ok cancel my previous post. I stand corrected by awesomeness........

Comment

• Yas all....... what the hell is that?
                        People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                        ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

• I have been married to an engineer for almost 30 years. You get used to them after awhile.
                          Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• Originally posted by roach2654 View Post
                            Yas all....... what the hell is that?
                            Thats the Hyena, Sarges vehicle in the Going Home Story.

It and HAM radio got i to the book cuz someone wispered in the BIG ONES ear.

Comment

• Makes one wonder what the milage on one of those is....

The hyena, not an engineer.....

Comment

• Who the hell is running Crystal River?

It just occurred to me that the CRNP is about fifty miles from Ocala in Citrus. If that went boom somehow, that may be the cause of the multi-county forest fire.

Pre-EMP it wouldn't have any problems, but afterwards the rods could have gone out of control without the aid of computer monitoring or a running diesel generator.
                                You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                                Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                                Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

Working...
                                X