Looking for ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for ideas

I have access to a supply of first cut/slab wood from a local saw mill. Various species, right now it's mostly cedar. I've been looking for something to do with them. When I've searched online all I see are things having to do with large slabs of wood. Thats not what I have to work with. I'm talking more of the half moon shaped pieces. They would be 5 inches and wider.

I know they can be used as siding. What I was looking to do was something I could make and resell. I hate seeing these things being considered scrap and just burned.

You can grind the cedar down (?) to small pieces and then shape them to be burned in incense burners. Quite aromatic. Or make small cachets (sp?) to hang in the closet.

Comment

What tye of cedar? The heart is going to be more aromatic, but maybe moth deterrent blocks and hangars.

Do you carve?

Have a lathe for turning?

How about a base for other projects?

Clean them up and run them through a planer for the new in thing of cooking on cedar plank.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston_Joe View Post
        I have access to a supply of first cut/slab wood from a local saw mill. Various species, right now it's mostly cedar. I've been looking for something to do with them. When I've searched online all I see are things having to do with large slabs of wood. Thats not what I have to work with. I'm talking more of the half moon shaped pieces. They would be 5 inches and wider.

I know they can be used as siding. What I was looking to do was something I could make and resell. I hate seeing these things being considered scrap and just burned.

I'm going to assume it's either a plain or live saw given the description.
        Appalachian folks would use the outer most round sided scarf for old time furniture, roofing tiles, or siding. Whatever you use it for, structural stress lines have to go through it's centerline due to the lay of the grain. It will be weak on the outside edges and prone to chipping off otherwise.
        When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

They have a saw cut on one side and the outer curved of tree on the other. Some with bark, some without. Some may have an interesting grain, or not.

Nope, don't carve. That takes some artistic talent and I'm in short supply of that.

The pieces don't really lend themselves to turning due to their shape. Too flat.

Using them in conjunction with other old and new wood may be what I end up doing.

I wish I had a planer. I could do more with them. Maybe Santa is monitoring this thread.

I've got some basic woodworking tools and skills that match. Going out to buy equipment for this isn't in the cards at the present time.

Comment

Rough cut country style frames are really popular.

Comment

Bark isn't good for much other than mulch or burning, I'd advise against using pieces with it for anything else.
              I'd strongly recommend the foxfire series books if you can get them.
              Here's your chance to get the most complete collection of published information on the heritage of the southern Appalachian mountains and save a few dollars doing it. Purchase the entire 12-volume series of Foxfire books together and save over $23.

Next to that the caners handbook, and the woodwrights books.
              If you visit the museum this fall, you'll encounter our newest exhibit on woodworking in Appalachia. In a densely wooded area before logging removed all the old-growth trees, folks in the mountains relied heavily on wood as a resource not just for building their homes but for all kinds of different things. Without easy access

If you can't find something to do with it after that, it's only good for burning.
              Originally posted by Boston_Joe View Post
              They have a saw cut on one side and the outer curved of tree on the other. Some with bark, some without. Some may have an interesting grain, or not.

Nope, don't carve. That takes some artistic talent and I'm in short supply of that.

The pieces don't really lend themselves to turning due to their shape. Too flat.

Using them in conjunction with other old and new wood may be what I end up doing.

I wish I had a planer. I could do more with them. Maybe Santa is monitoring this thread.

I've got some basic woodworking tools and skills that match. Going out to buy equipment for this isn't in the cards at the present time.
              When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

My thoughts were if I could find something crafty to do with them I may be able to make a few extra bucks. I may grab a few and just try some different things. I know I can come up with something.

Comment

The little plaques that people buy at the tourist shops are all cedar. Those things with goofy saying on them.

Comment

My wife says bread boards

Comment

can you get enough of a dip sanded into them to make a snack plate? Like for cheese & crackers?

Comment

For the most part they would be thick enough for a bread board or a snack plate. Now I need to grab some and give it a try. As long as my wife doesn't want to keep them all I'll see if there is any market locally.

Comment

There are a lot of stuff that you can do with rough cut lumber. If you are creative and willing to put the effort into getting it sold, you can make some money. Just search around, lot of stuff out there:

Our best rustic wood decor ideas that are perfect for your farmhouse style home! These DIY ideas are perfect for those on a budget!

Comment

Thanks for the links

Comment

Working...
                            X