Seeds, seeds and more seeds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeds, seeds and more seeds.

So I have been collecting and trying new varieties of seeds. I have been researching more and more about old varieties of Winter Squash that used to grow here in the Southeast that are disease hardy, tough, and something different than the same old butternut and acorn squash. I now have Tennessee sweet potato squash(not a potato and grown by Thomas Jefferson at Monticello!) Carolina roaster and candy roaster, pink banana squash, (jumbo or giant) Hubbards, upper ground sweet potato, greek sweet red, boston marrow. Of course i already have seminole pumpkin growing and several vines loaded with my regular waltham butternut. My acorn squash isn't producing yet but Hopefully they will surprise me.

I would like to do a long post on winter squash and their importance-esp the difference between moschata, mixta, pepo and maxima and what varieties cross and which dont. Now a cross could be interesting and create a brand new variety that is better suited to your micro climate or you could get a dud. I think it is also important to save seed from the squash that shows the best traits in order to strengthen those traits. A good book that goes deeper into this and is actually a lot more interesting than it sounds is the book 'Seed to Seed' by Suzanne Ashworth. She has a great section on squash and what family each belongs to and how they will/won't cross varieties.

I also have a lot of pole beans (vertical growing is awesome and space saving! I have pole beans and my butternut and seminole pumpkings climbing all over some cattle panels that are along my yard fence. Works great!

As an experiment I will also be growing some hulless oats (they used to grow very well here in FL) because it's good to have some grain. Could also grow some wheat(and there are ancient varieties that are better suited to this area) and see how much work will go into keeping a small amt to top off the preps if necessary.

I have a great variety of southern peas, beans, asparagus long beans, lettuces (I am currently getting ready to try the Kratky method of hydroponics to grow some lettuce and cabbage) cabbages, a huge amt of tomato varieties, all manner of brassicas, greens, kohlrabi, onions, garlics, and heirloom corn for parching and such, summer squashes, peppers, etc.

I have amassed this seed over time and rotated though I know I do have a few packs in there that are at least 5 yrs old and have a lower germination rate.
    I don't buy seed vaults, I don't buy from wal mart or lowes (lower germination rate with those for some reason). Here are my favorite sources:

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. These guys are incredible and their germination rate is excellent. Quick shipping and they often carry seeds that are not sold anywhere else. I believe it is important to reintroduce new strains and they help with that. http://www.rareseeds.com/

Victory Heirloom seeds. I buy a lot from them and they are great. They also carry a huge variety of tobacco seeds. I will be growing that even none of us smoke. It has good uses. http://www.victoryseeds.com/

For other seeds I have trusted ebay venders that I buy from frequently. Mozybeau-farms is fabulous! I also order from heirloomseedguy on ebay and heirloomvegetables .
    I think ebay is fabulous for collecting heirloom varieties, supporting small farms, and growing a personal seed bank that is varied, and huge-for cheap. Just use common sense, read the reviews and keep some wisdom about it. I think buying from many different sources is important.

I could go on and on and on. I cannot stress enough the importance of gaining some gardening skills, and really thinking outside the proverbial box. Look in your pantry and ask 'how will i reproduce what I like to eat?' Like in terms of sugar-for us personally there are huge amts of bee keepers out this way. I can't afford the set up for bees right now so I will assume at some point we will barter with those who do have honey so I grow sugar cane (yes you can process on small scale though it si labor intensive but if the shtf it will be good knowledge). I have sorghum seed and sugar beets for potential future sugar. No more cranberries? There is the Thai Roselle bush-also known as florida cranberry that will do for a cranberry substitute in a pinch. And you can get the seeds from Bakercreek. This is my second year growing them.

And consider multiplier onions! I buy all my onion sets from ebay. I have an entire white multiplier bed and have also tucked them in everywhere. I also have some potato onions(multipliers) that are coming up. You can never have enough onions. These are heirlooms are no longer grown and it's important to keep them going!

Please don't just rely on the feed store or wal mart and seed vaults that have been sitting in a dusty corner for a few years. Get out there and plant. Any questions just let me know!
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

I wanted to add another source of seed that is often overlooked.
    Your grocery store.
    Some melons, sweet potatoes, potatoes, winter squash, chayote squash-which I have vining right now-and even some beans and peas will grow from the 'food' you buy in the regular old grocery store.

I found a lovely buttercup squash and threw the seeds (without drying them, even!) in a small bed and they sprouted just fine. Now buttercup seeds were a bit pricey this year but I got a squashful for $1.67. We shall see how it fruits but I have all ideas it should be fine.
    I grabbed a handful of pinto beans out of a grocery store bag and tossed them over into another bed and ignored them-lo and behold they sprouted. Want to test if they will grow? Take a paper towel and wet it, put seeds in it and fold it over-set in a ziploc and put in a sunny window. In a few days to a week there should be sprouts. They are viable!
    I threw some sprouted red taters in a bucket of dirt and I have little sprouts coming up. I had sweet potatoes that sprouted and I put them in the ground and they are vining along. It is a bit late in the year for sweet taters so it is an experiment but at least I know the grocery store taters sprout.

Now there is a chance that some varieties of vegetable like summer squash or tomatoes may sprout and grow but not set fruit. This is because they are likely a hybrid and don't reproduce true to type the next year. This is why people rant about heirlooms. I would suggest simply buying seed when it comes to these.

I have not yet tried it but I know of several people that sprout and grow good peach trees from the peaches at the grocery, There is a process to this but it is well worth it and I may try it very soon.

So there is another source for you. See a lovely hubbard or butternut? Maybe dry and save the seed. Back your stores up with seed you buy from a good source but it never hurts to shop for seed in the produce aisle.

Comment

Is the information on that page correct?
      When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Originally posted by Cwi555 View Post
        http://ccgrow.com/phytotheca/hibiscus-thai-red-roselle/

Is the information on that page correct?
        Yes it is correct-only thing I would add is that when you make cranberry or tea you remove the green inner part of the calyx. This is a great tutorial:

Growing Jamaican sorrel is easy! Here's how you grow and use this delicious tropical hibiscus. Make cranberry sauce, eat the leaves, enjoy the blooms!

Comment

Cranberry was what I was after. Thanks for the tip and answer.

Originally posted by southernmom View Post
          Yes it is correct-only thing I would add is that when you make cranberry or tea you remove the green inner part of the calyx. This is a great tutorial:

http://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/s...ida-cranberry/
          When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Ok so I have a question.... if you were to buy seeds for like your BOB, how long do they last before they go "bad"?

Comment

For the mid-atlantic, I've successfully used Johnny's, Pinetree Garden Seeds, Nichols (yes, they're PNW - but have things I can't find anywhere else* and their seeds germinate very well) and I've also latched on to a recent catalog for herbs from Richter's again. They're in Canada - but carry herbs/seeds for different growing zones.

*Some of my best successes with Lavender seed came from Nichols. Yes you CAN start these from seed despite what I've heard about the difficulty from master gardeners. I don't do anything fancy at all - good miracle gro potting soil, fill small pots in trays about 2/3 full; tamp firmly; spritz well with water and let the soil soak it up. Place 2-3 seeds and then sprinkle with loose soil to the required depth on top. Then spritz the tops till damp; keep them damp with the spray bottle - NEVER flow water over them. If the pots really dry out a lot, water from the bottom & then spritz from the top.

No grow lights; just a southern exposure or east/west window; room temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Valliam13 View Post
                Ok so I have a question.... if you were to buy seeds for like your BOB, how long do they last before they go "bad"?
                Well it depends on heat and light and moisture...and really just some seeds last longer than others. I have noticed that herb seeds like borage and basil don't seem to last past 2 years for me. Peppers? I sprouted a few this year that were at least 5 years old that I found in a box I had stowed.
                If your BOB is in the trunk of your car pretty much year round (esp in the heat of the summer here in FL) the seed life and germination rate will plummet to somewhere around a year and 50% germination rate. Your mileage may vary!
                IF your BOB is in a reasonably climate controlled house in a closet, then for the hardier seeds like peas and corn and even tomatoes and peppers-they could last 2 to 4 years with the germination rate lowering a little each year.
                If, however, you have seed saved in their little plastic or mylar bags stored in a larger ziploc stowed in your fridge (not freezer) you could get at least 3-5 years out of good seed with lowering germination rate each year.
                Seed is so cheap when it comes down to it that should everything go along just fine I rotate and top off the varieties that I have not gotten to planting. Ideally you should plant and save seed but some stuff I just don't plant 'all of' or even 'any of' each year so I have packs of seeds that are years old that I hang on to and get around a 50% germination rate.

Keep in mind the high calorie crops that are important-squash, beans, etc. Hope this helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacajawea View Post
                  For the mid-atlantic, I've successfully used Johnny's, Pinetree Garden Seeds, Nichols (yes, they're PNW - but have things I can't find anywhere else* and their seeds germinate very well) and I've also latched on to a recent catalog for herbs from Richter's again. They're in Canada - but carry herbs/seeds for different growing zones.

*Some of my best successes with Lavender seed came from Nichols. Yes you CAN start these from seed despite what I've heard about the difficulty from master gardeners. I don't do anything fancy at all - good miracle gro potting soil, fill small pots in trays about 2/3 full; tamp firmly; spritz well with water and let the soil soak it up. Place 2-3 seeds and then sprinkle with loose soil to the required depth on top. Then spritz the tops till damp; keep them damp with the spray bottle - NEVER flow water over them. If the pots really dry out a lot, water from the bottom & then spritz from the top.

No grow lights; just a southern exposure or east/west window; room temperature.
                  I forgot about Johnny's! Yeah they are good.
                  Thanks for the tip on Lavender. I had given up on growing it-but I will try again!

Comment

Just a quick word about calorie crops.

There are those out there-and not anyone on this site-other places I have perused and even people I have spoken to-who believe that their salad garden seeds will keep them full during a SHTF grid down scenario. They have a few packs of maters and summer squash and lettuce...and They labor under the delusion that a garden will just sprout up danged instantly and they won't have to work or 'wait' for their harvest.
                    When I have brought this point up to others I have gotten 'well if a redneck or cracker like you can grow a garden I sure can, I don't have to practice or learn anything-just throw a seed in the dirt' Yeah. try it.
                    Anyway-
                    Calorie crops, ladies and gentlemen, calorie crops. Your beans, your winter squash, your root crops, cabbages, kohlrahbis, chayote, your grains-even garlic has high calories. Now YES we do need the nutrients and tastiness of greens and maters and immune boosting qualities of hot peppers and onions, but a steady diet of salad will not sustain us.

There are many different calorie and root crops for each region of this country. I would suggest looking at historically what the indigenous peoples of your area grew and ate and stored. You may need to substitute different varieties or you may need to find a new and innovative way to grow it (vertically or kratky hydroponic, etc) but there is always a way.
                    Just something else to consider.

Comment

Some good information:

Keep them cool and dry. Don't overdo the cooling and drying, though.

Dave

Comment

Thanks. My BOB sits in a closet. I need to find a way to grow indoors at this point if we're going to be nuked. Just saying'

Comment

We don't have a green house yet, but we have a southern exposure wall. By putting up old guttering in rows on that wall, we have a nice little garden and starter area. The dark wood of the house really absobs heat and just a clear plastic tarp over those gutters at night keep them from freezing most of the winter here.

One day, the greenhouse will be built. We just have not gotten to that project. It won't be fancy, but $300 should keep us in vegetables over the winter and cut grocery bills significantly once I get to it.

Comment

Look into hoop greenhouses-simple and cheap!

Comment

Alternate sources

OMG! We laughed our butts off last night. My husband broke out the Seed Bank we ordered a few years back. He's so proud of the fact that the seeds are packaged, advertised to be viable for up to 30 years. While we sat around the table showing 'Roach', we noticed a mouse had chewed through the Mylar, and various bean seeds spilled out everywhere! Though a few seeds might have been chewed, she was after the paper of the packets the seeds were contained in to use for her nesting.

We laughed, though it wasn't really funny. The seeds can be used next spring, or repacked, so no harm really done.
                              Additionally, I am a seed saver, and have many of my own seeds, not from purchase. The seed bank was just for a rainy day.
                              Now, to get that vermin!!

This verse came to mind:

19“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
                              Matthew 6:19-21 (NIV)

It reminds me, that while we may prep thoroughly, when we need our stuff, it may be unavailable, for numerous reasons. And, I have to remember, the battle is spiritual, and it's already been won. (that's how I can laugh in the face of mice).

Comment

Working...
                              X