Livestock guardian dog questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livestock guardian dog questions

We are considering one for our small place. We have added goats, have or have from time to time: pigs, goats, chickens, penned rabbits, horses, and whatever other useful or edible animals that might get drug home from a vet clinic, livestock auction or craigslist ad.

We would like to add a livestock guardian dog (lgd) to the mix for several reasons. The most obvious is for the protection of any free ranging animals. Secondly for the penned animals to prevent issues from the coop and rabbit pen raiding type critters, and lastly as an early warning and deterrent for two legged varmints.

We have had some issues with stray dogs, coyotes, foxes, opossums, hawks and 2 legged varmints in the past. There are also bears in the area, though we have not had an issue with them.

So, we live in the South, would really like something without the hair and hotspots of a pyrenees in Georgia, and a dog that we can trust around us and our house pets. We are looking into Anatolian and Kuvasz, but finding a Kuvasz is nearly impossible. A Greater Swiss Mountain Dog might work, but what breeds might I be overlooking? Most are long haired, and some are simply too agressive.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

While not a direct answer to your question, quite a few farmers use llamas to guard their flocks of goats or sheep:

Dave

Comment

Consider guineas as one line of defense and warning for any predator that shows up on your property. We had dozens growing up and a squirrel couldn't drop out of an oak without a guinea raising hell about it.

As far as dogs we always had blue heelers (australian cattle dogs) and border collies. Both are fabulous. They trained well, super smart and quick. If you want to spend a gazillion dollars consider an Anatolian Sheephound. They are formidable and stunning.
      Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Guinea are on the property. They do raise alarms, but they wander and are part of the coyotes diet. Stupid guineas.

I have been around d a lot of heelers, I have never seen them for guardians as much as working dogs moving animals. They are tough little nuts for sure.

Whatever we get, it has to accept us, our animals and live out with the animals. Anatolian was on the short list. We are just starting to explore this option.

Comment

I have heard that donkeys are good guardians and do not back down from coyotes.

Comment

Llama are not high on our list. One, I have been around them and worked on them. I don't like the spitting little bastards! And two, they can't go under or over a fence between areas should anything come up. They also don't do much alarming for 2 legged varmints. Donkeys are off the list for the same reasons. They do handle dogs better than a Llama

If I had just a bunch of sheep or goats, I would go that route.

Here, with packs of dogs, they get killed. Too many idiots let pit bulls go loose and they pack up. Of course a single pyrenees will not fair much better

Comment

Look into the Maremma dog. We chose it because it is the smallest in stature, which to me means less food, smaller crate/dog house, less money at the vet, flea control, etc. In looks much like a Great Pyrenees. Well tempered with humans and other animals. From the mountains of Italy, it is cold tolerant and will dig a deep den. Reminds me of an all white Golden Retriever, with the snout of a Collie. People who know the Maremma will swear by them.

Comment

JJ I had heard these are really agressive. Will they be too much so?

My wife just loves the kangal. Not what we need, but amazing dogs none the less.

Comment

JJ's Maremma is so docile. She has the temperament of a golden retriever but she will alert to anything she considers out of place. The chickens all like to roost in the trees where she is. A very loveable dog
                  People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                  ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

I have an Airedale He is a hairy Bugger but I set the clippers on a 1/4 inch and shave him down once in the spring and again at the end of july. It takes about an hour. When they no their job there isn't anything or one coming around with out getting to meet them quick. They will kill most intruding critters with out much trouble. But only get a well bred hunting strain of Airedale. (I can help you out there) or go to the traditional working Airedale pro boards web site and check it out.
                    My second choice of protection and all around farm dog is the original mountain cur. My cur dogs no whats supposed to be here and whats not. Stray tom cats will be found dead here in the morning. Coon possum will be up a tree with the curs under it treeing until you get there to dispatch it. They are short haired and easily trained and will keep strangers in their car until I tell them its ok then they could care less about them.
                    I have hunted both these breeds for years but they both can be versatile enough to leave run around the place when you come out of the woods.
                    Great Pyrenees are great herd protectors there are many around here that stay in the fence and live with the live stock . They also can be shaved down in the spring.
                    There was a guy out west that was trying to bring back the old farm shepherd he had a web site at one time . I don't know how he made out . There was very little breeding stock left for him to start a breeding program but he was trying.
                    The big old collie types that was on all the farms around here when I was a kid that did exactly what you are looking for have been replaced with high strung border collies and come from behind you and bighting your leg blue healers. Both are good breeds just not what I like in an all around dog. TK

Comment

Donkeys are also used, as well as Gineua Foul. Gineau foul eat ticks, bonus.
                      Originally posted by KyDave59 View Post
                      While not a direct answer to your question, quite a few farmers use llamas to guard their flocks of goats or sheep:

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                        JJ I had heard these are really agressive. Will they be too much so?

My wife just loves the kangal. Not what we need, but amazing dogs none the less.
                        I'm not familiar with the Kangal. I'll look it up later.
                        We read a lot on the few breeds of true guardians prior to selecting. Everything we read said they are not at all likely to attack people.
                        I am of the school that anything's possible, and anyone can train a dog to attack.
                        The breeder we got our dog from had quite a few Maremmas, and I was definitely intimidated when we pulled up. And waited for the owner to approach prior to getting out of the truck. Ours is a female and we have thought about breeding her. Guardian dogs are not particularly common, but we do know of someone with a male.
                        I wouldn't want to breed puppies, unless I KNEW we could sell them all.

Comment

JJ. You breed her, let me know. My wife is interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Tk, we have black mouth curs here. Very timid until on a hog. It sounds like your mountain currently is different.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                            JJ. You breed her, let me know. My wife is interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Tk, we have black mouth curs here. Very timid until on a hog. It sounds like your mountain currently is different.
                            Redman2006: Are you in FL and willing to come get pup in High Springs? My husband would like to get her bred because she is at that age where she stays in heat. Let me get with the male dog owner and I will get back with you soon.

TK: I also have a black mouth cur. She has a mean bark, but is an attention hound, super sweet. My favorite dogs are my 2 mutts (brothers), we think they are a mix of walker hound and pit bull and or boxer, or american bulldog. I think they are just endeared to me because I found them as starving pups in the woods.

Comment

Working...
                            X