Hurricane Matthew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Matthew

I wanted to say thank you to all y'all. Because of your advice, we are ready food wise for this storm. I didn't even have to go running out last minute to get water or anything because we already have it.

My parents scrambled for water but they did manage to get some.

I did get gas this morning before the tanks are empty. Now I'm hoping they cancel work so hubby and I can sleep in.

Stay safe!
    People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
    ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Thanks. Will do. The only thing I don't have is bread and I'm hearing the stores are out but I'm going to try Save-a-Lot on my way home. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Comment

Glad you got supplies! We got ours in time as well and now the whole world out this way is scrambling-gas lines even out here at the tiny local station.

My husband and 2 of the grown kids just did the load in for the Garth Brooks show-now the powers that be say that they may postpone a show but that the 'weather should be fine on saturday'. yeah we shall see. He also did the load in for the Pres coming into town a few days ago and that got cancelled due to the storm-so it was a load in, then immediate strike. That will be a nice check!

Everyone stay safe. If the power is out I won't be able to update.
        Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Valliam - this is a great time to get the basic ingredients and make your own bread. Flour, salt, yeast & water is most recipes. Check online for a simple beginner recipe - use your meatloaf pan - and have fun! Kneading bread is a great stress reliever. You'll want a recipe that doesn't require a couple days rise - just in case the power goes out. Of course, you COULD just make biscuits...

Comment

A bread machine helps with making bread, although you can certainly do it by hand. I rather enjoy home-made bread. I've gotten used to making pizza crusts by hand, though. Not sure why I never have made pizza crusts with the bread machine. I suppose I just got used to doing it by hand.

Dave

Comment

Good luck with your storm. I was in Orlando during Charley..... Hang on tight!

Comment

I'm a little ways from Sarg's Ole Town. Horses out in pasture, barn floods at times, deer food out, have to check electric fence yet and take down rugs hung up. Generator checked, food is in.Stay safe my Florida friends. I think this one will be a bad one.

Comment

Time for you to be hunkering down, Valliam. They say by noon, y'all will have crappy conditions that will get worse throughout the rest of the day.

Folks in the OBX aren't taking anything for granted about the tracks, as they look right now either. Even NHC says there's no real confidence in the tracks 72 hrs from now. So it's a wait & see for us still.

Comment

Praying that all you in the path of Matthew stay safe. Check in when you can.
                    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Prayers for all those affected.
                      When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Thanks all. We had to drive down to Orlando this morning to pick up our son. He's completely freaked out due to his mom freaking out. Anyhoo, the weather is already coming in and we lucked out on the way back and topped off the gas tank. Can't believe we found gas! Also, no loaves of bread but my husband found some brown and serve rolls so that will be sandwich bread. I had enough for 2 of us but not 3 so this will help.

Comment

Yeah there is no bread on the shelves out here, but plenty of flour tortillas. those are tasty with anything in them

Comment

I just picked up a pack of tortillas, too... what day was that? Tuesday maybe? Monday possibly. You're right; lots of ways to use them.

So, we have a garden-variety nor'easter drenching us now. The warm-up for whatever the weekend brings. If y'all are looking at the radar pics - notice how close Nicole is getting to Matthew. Makes me uneasy.

ETA!
                            just jumped out to NHC - the 2 pm update has Nicole upgraded to a hurricane.

Comment

Just saw that on the SB matthew thread-yikes I have no idea what this means-probably matthew is gonna ping pong off that and zoom right across FL again!

Comment

Working...
                              X