My dog and cat need medications, but I can't get them for their bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog and cat need medications, but I can't get them for their bags

Can anyone tell me what to do...I have survival kits for my dog and cat, but both bags are missing prescription medications they both need for long term survival. I asked my vet and he said he understood the situation, but recommended coming to see him immediately after SHTF and he will help. I am not so confident he will be available as he says when the times comes. I am lost and I need some advice because there is no reason to keep preparing or my pets when they won't make it for more than a few weeks anyway without their meds.
    http://completeprepperstore.com
    You can never be too prepared

The problem that you're up against is one that we're all up against, both for pets and personal Rx meds. The docs, whether it be MD or DVM, are under tight scrutiny. If they are suspected of dispensing (I think they are called Class 3???) meds inappropriately, they can be charged with felony distribution of a controlled substance for EVERY PILL prescribed.

We have a Vet Clinic operator here, and he will most likely pop in and give you a better answer, but you do have to understand the position that "helping you out" would put a Vet in.

I was just going to post a pic of a camping stove, but realized that you don't know us well enough yet to realize that I'm kind of an ass, with no malice intended.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

What are the meds they need?

You need to find a vet with similar ideas as you. We are tightly controled, but we are allowed some leeway. If you can show you need only x amount extra for a month then rotate after you get the meds so you keep the longest dated drug in your emergency supplies, most vets will be good with this. If it is schedule 2, that won't be possible. That is a legal can of worms none of us will open. We have to have our license to practice.

Comment

Simple solution, go to another vet. Find one in a county over and drop in and get them from them. Maybe hit another one or two. I don't think the vet meds are tracked quite as closely as human meds, as in no central database like a lot of states have for the narcotic stuff. Just a thought.
        I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

AA, the answer there is, it depends. If he is looking for narcotics, they may be. We have seen a massive shift from selling our meds in clinic to writing scripts for the clients. Pet meds rx and walmart have taken a massive bite out of our income and our supplies. It has also required us to raise prices in other areas to make up for it. The clients see walmart as a friend that saves them money. It has actually forced us to raise prices on services, since we are unable to pay our bills with resale goods income. But I digress.

Due to the shift, many of the meds we once carried, we do not carry any longer. Because of this, they are filled at human pharmacis and fall under human drug laws, including tracking. In most cases, the laws allow them to be tracked separately or not at all, but big box stores find on set of rules to be easiest to follow. Also, due to the shift, we are now hugely affected by back orders that are plaguing the medical industry since obummer care rolled out. This is due as much to the fda using their inspections as a source of taxation as it is consolidation and loss of smaller companies. As an example, doxycycline used to be pennies a pill. We carried it. It went on human and veterinary backorder with a consolidation. When it came back 6 months or so later, it was 2.50 per pill...our cost!

Anyway, because of the written scripts, many drugs are tracked in the human system, and you won't get more by vet hopping unless you also change pharmacies, even then, especially for controls, you will not get ahead.

Noncontrolled drugs should not be an issue. The issue would be drugs requiring regular bloodwork. We have people trying to sneak by that all the time. If I prescribe those meds and let them have more than I should beyond the testing time frame, I am liable and open myself to suit since I did not hold to the standard of care with testing. None of us like court, so it would be hard to do this unless I really knew and trusted the individual.

People that want things like this have to develop a relationship. They can't be a once a year lent and expect me to haand over the keys to the pharmacy. Also, frankly, they need to ask, what do I bring to the party? Are they just wanting to take, or are they offering help in kind?

Just a few thoughts, rambling ones.

Comment

That background info on cost is important Red. It has more implications than just for pets or the cost itself. Thanks for twigging me to another research avenue. Good post.
            When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

It is making me nervous cw. We have one plant go down and we are sol. Economy of size is desireable, but it has other undesirable outcomes.

Sorry for all the typos. I use my phone for most posts.

Comment

It should make everyone nervous imo. Just three of the implications;
                1. One of the old school survival strategies is the use of pet meds. What you describe makes that verge on impractical if not dead in the water.
                2. Remove the Walmart and the like management and insert government flunkys and what do you have?
                3. Control of supply lines being reduced to a narrow band imminently more controllable by a much smaller group.

That imo is the track of thought people need to follow on this...

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                It is making me nervous cw. We have one plant go down and we are sol. Economy of size is desireable, but it has other undesirable outcomes.

Sorry for all the typos. I use my phone for most posts.
                When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Think about the fiasco with the epipen right now. Also, a few months back, atropine and laced ringers were on backorder to the point ambulances were scrambling to make do.

Comment

Lactated ringer. Dang phone

Comment

Great reply Redman, thanks for the insight.
                      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

It depends on the type of medication. Just like humans people will after SHTF. I'm a diabetic, one of my dogs had seizures and was on phenobarbital. I have made sure I have a years insulin. Seditory lifestyle usually produces high blood sugars. Active decreases. You can live with higher blood sugars then low ones. I live the what ifs everyday. I am presently testing a theory in relation to cimmomin and decreased blood sugar. Don't worry I was at one time a Diabetic Instructor so I know the risks. Depending on what type of medication your dogs are on is the trick. I got a 1000 tabs of phenobarbital via mail. Because it was for my dog I didn't need a prescription. Check out their melds on line.

Comment

I don't know where you live, but any prescription med not in a bottle with a valid prescription, ESPECIALLY a controlled drug like phenobarbital, can land you in jail in the US. In the US, even dog meds are true prescription drugs and can only be prescribed in accordance with state and federal laws.

I know a lot of drugs come from over seas illegally, but if fda/Dea ever crack down (or usda for food animals), there will be a lot of fines and or jail time.

Comment

Start thinking self-reliant

Originally posted by FLPrepper View Post
                            Can anyone tell me what to do...I have survival kits for my dog and cat, but both bags are missing prescription medications they both need for long term survival. I asked my vet and he said he understood the situation, but recommended coming to see him immediately after SHTF and he will help. I am not so confident he will be available as he says when the times comes. I am lost and I need some advice because there is no reason to keep preparing or my pets when they won't make it for more than a few weeks anyway without their meds.
                            I would suggest you stop relying on a controlled and failing system. Adopt a new train of thought. Begin with, "what would I do for my animals if there were no such thing as a vet, or meds?" I would suggest looking into herbal alternatives, or a diet change. Hard to give any specific help without specific details. We want the best life for our pets, but would your pet live with its present condition if it were say, the random year of 1705? Many of the conditions our pets develop are due to feeding of commercial feed. A grand system designed for consumers to fail, and have to return to it again, and again for a "fix". Start thinking of ways to break away from that system.

Comment

Working...
                            X