Help with seedlings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with seedlings.

Hey crew, so to start this I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing with farming mostly. That said, I realized I have two seed vaults and have never grown squat from a seed other then grass. (the kind on the lawn.)

This year I decided it was time to fix that so I could lay out a garden if I needed one. From an Xmas gift I got several packages of seeds and peat pots. I packed the pots with soil, planted according to direction, but after the seedlings sprouted I have had a huge attrition rate, about 4-8 weeks in (after sprout), the seeding falls over and just kinda gives up. What am I doing wrong?

At this point the seedlings both pepper and tomato have only their two original leaves on the sprout.

thanks, CR

I wish that I could be a big help, but please remember that I've turned plastic plants brown (true story).

With that being said , I am finally starting to have a little success (I think) in my garden. My biggest killer has been over-watering.
    What finally gave me an idea as to what my problem was, was last years potato "crop". They sprouted , grew, and looked ok (not great) above ground. When it came time for the harvest , I dug down to find a bunch of rotted potatoes in the ground.
    This years crop of taters is looking a lot better above ground. How they are underneath, its too early to tell. But I backed off watering from every other day to once a week . Right now, that is the only thing that I have planted.

Good luck and keep us informed .
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Where are you starting them? If you are starting them in a window, that isn't usually enough sunlight and the seedlings grow "leggy" and not very strong. I switched to grow lights and have a lot more success.

Jopa! I've already dug out 2 large bowls of potatoes. Last year we didn't have any success with the potatoes because we had months of rain. This year, while we are getting a lot of rain, there are sunny days in between.
      NICHEVO

Comment

You could also start them inside, and move them out to simple cold frames made from bricks and old windows during the day and bring them in at night if it gets too cold.
        NICHEVO

Comment

And good for you for starting to learn about gardening now, before you need to! I had never gardened before and we are now on our 4th year gardening. We have had a lot of failures (learning opportunities) and are learning how to deal with the unique challenges of growing in Texas and dealing with the heat and pesty bugs. We are growing organically, and we have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't. I'm glad we didn't wait until we had to rely on the garden to feed ourselves. We'd be dead.
          NICHEVO

Comment

I also took the leap but am going with started plants and containers. IF most of it lives - I'll buy a tiller and have a real garden next year. that's assuming that is still an option. After I started reading up - I realized how hard it is to actually grow stuff. Slow to the party but better late than never.
            Started baking bread too. Whole wheat ones are OK - white breads are easier. And my chocolate chip cookies disappear at an alarming rate. I might make it.....

Comment

Originally posted by nichevo View Post

Jopa! I've already dug out 2 large bowls of potatoes. Last year we didn't have any success with the potatoes because we had months of rain. This year, while we are getting a lot of rain, there are sunny days in between.
              May I ask when you planted? How do you know when to dig em up?
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Starting them inside, got them to sprout like a champ! Started them on a heat mat in a clear dome tray.

My first ones I set outside to let them get sunlight, but didn't remove the tray cover. BIG MISTAKE, they all cooked.

This batch I have been setting out on clear days with sun, and keeping well watered. However one of my peppers last night just fell over and I'm hoping I don't lose the entire second batch here.

Comment

Total off topic reply and I don't know the real answer on potatoes. However if you read Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander Series) Ian and Jamie had the conversation, while reading "Methods of Farming, by Sir Walter O'Bannion Reilly"

"Harvesting of the crop should be undertaken simultaneously with the appearnce of the first winter goose."

They then have an amusing discussion of what kind of goose, and if it was perhaps an Irish vs. a Scottish goose.

- - - Updated - - -

Total off topic reply and I don't know the real answer on potatoes. However if you read Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander Series) Ian and Jamie had the conversation, while reading "Methods of Farming, by Sir Walter O'Bannion Reilly"

"Harvesting of the crop should be undertaken simultaneously with the appearnce of the first winter goose."

They then have an amusing discussion of what kind of goose, and if it was perhaps an Irish vs. a Scottish goose.

Comment

Well, I believe the seedling issue is what is called "damping off". With tomatos & peppers, you can let the top of the peat pot get a little dry before watering - with no ill effects. Water from the bottom - use a skinny waterer to get between the pots and put 1/2 in in at a time. As they grow, up the amount of water. Bring them in at night until temps are in the 60s - no matter how you start them. The heat mat might just help at night.

You do always lose a few - those with weaker stems. A little breeze is good for them; strengthens the stems but keep them out of strong wind. I have used the clear domes on trays of pots - mostly at night - whether indoors or out; if starting indoors at the window - full sun - take that lid off during the day. They go outside as soon as the 2nd set of leaves starts growing, when it's warm enough for them. Always started my seeds indoors; no problems.

Comment

Dont overwater and dont over fertilize
                      People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                      ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Originally posted by CelticRaven View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If I wait until I see a goose, my garden is screwed. I think I saw one about 6 years ago .
                        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                          May I ask when you planted? How do you know when to dig em up?
                          I planted mid February. You need to just gently feel under and around the plant for the potatoes. I accidently realised the potatoes were ready when I was digging in the soil to loosen the hard crust that formed on the top because I never got around to mulching them. After weeding them for the 3rd time, I made time to put mulch on them. Glad I did, that mulch keeps the soil cooler and helps retain moisture. I used shredded leaves for mulch. This Spring, I raked the leaves into a pile and then mowed them. Cheap and easy.
                          NICHEVO

Comment

I think that I'm going to break the ground by my taters and check on them this weekend . I'll keep you posted .
                            Defund the Media !!

Comment

Ya know, I'm several months into raising plants now, and I will say for sure this isn't easy. With the really high rate of rain this year, I have wilting peppers, but I do finally have some tomatoes coming in! Other then herbs, I have never really 'gardened'. I think the point of this thread should be learn to do this now and don't just sit on seeds thinking your going to feed yourself in a season all of a sudden when you need to, I mean put it in the ground and it grows right? Not so much. As a result of this however I did add 40lbs of plantfood to the shed in case I need to start growing stuff because your plants won't grow without fertilizer and compost. Crazy learning experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X