Prepping for Hygiene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping for Hygiene

I was wondering if anyone can help me with advice to prepare for my family's hygiene needs? TP, toothpaste, soap, feminine hygiene products, etc; how much, how to store to maintain product integrity. I'm sorely behind on this type of prepping. I guess it's something we just take for granted. Need you guys to help me with this,any advice would be welcome.

Powder instead of paste lasts longer, stores smaller.

Comment

I'll be doing a video soon on some of this. But like Red said, powder lasts longer. You can always use baking soda, fine ground salt and charcoal as a toothpaste.
      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

One thing that may help us help you is to know something about your storage space. Prepping with a couple acres is different than prepping in a 3 bedroom apartment.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

We have been buying some extra a little at a time as we can afford it. I pick up soaps and shampoos from hotels I stay at too. We bought a few of the Mylar bags and have dry goods stored up.

Comment

its funny, I had a dentist tell me once, that paste can often hide an issue in ya mouth. whereas, plain brushing and rinsing with minted water does not. I tend to brush with plain water and rinse with mouth gargle, been to the dentist and despite the coffee, smoking and red wine stains, my teeth are in great shape.
            as for the other items, I have a wife and 2 girls in my care, so hygiene is a constant worry. I tend to buy things for them and stow them away, for that rainy day. I also have several chamois clothes that can be used for those days when and if I run out of pads and the like.
            prepping for women , when you're a bloke can be a hard thing at times.... my wife alltho she thinks the world will continue on for ever, still thinks it is a good idea and still calls me a nutter....

Comment

Kickstand, we have room to move about. We have a small farm 10-15 acres and a modest home of 1400 square feet with a full basement( that is dry 98% of the time,hurricane produced gully washers tend to dampen it up some). Suggestions know that you have the particulars?

Comment

I try to live as sustainably as is comfortable even in this world of modern convinces. Look into cloth pads and reusable menstraul cups. They are easy to care for, save money, and keep trash out of the landfills. Additionally look at cloth TP. I don't do the cloth TP now, but I have some made and ready for the day TP becomes unavailable. As far as soap, I buy a big pack whenever it is one sale, but have print outs stored for soap making, from making lye from hardwood to the final product. I plan to give soap making a go this summer. Additionally I suggest stocking up on cloth diapers....because babies will still come.

Comment

Aloe gel makes a good skin lotion - and soothes sunburn. It has a shelf life of years.

Having recipes collected for making your own shampoos, conditioners, soap or body wash, that you've tested for compatibility with your family (some people don't handle some ingredients well; or fragrances) is a good idea. (My skin dries out quickly with hard water, so I use a lot of oil to keep it in shape.) But even the off the shelf brands will last a long time. Toothpaste - eh, you'll probably a year out of storage, maybe two - before it starts to get yucky.

Don't forget the tools to trim hair, beards and nails.

- - - Updated - - -

Aloe gel makes a good skin lotion - and soothes sunburn. It has a shelf life of years.

Having recipes collected for making your own shampoos, conditioners, soap or body wash, that you've tested for compatibility with your family (some people don't handle some ingredients well; or fragrances) is a good idea. (My skin dries out quickly with hard water, so I use a lot of oil to keep it in shape.) But even the off the shelf brands will last a long time. Toothpaste - eh, you'll probably a year out of storage, maybe two - before it starts to get yucky.

Don't forget the tools to trim hair, beards and nails.

Comment

Not hygiene but laundry soap is easy to make and cheap and works as well or better than many commercial varieties

Comment

Rodents and insects love disposable paper products. Linen (actual linen made of spun flax, not cotton,) is many times more absorbent than cotton, can be bleached to kill germs, and a supply can be made into "personal cloths" and sewn into pads prior to need.

And a lot of women have switched to moon-cups.
                      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I have a short video coming out soon on these I bought them for Mel and we're ordering more for the other girls. I think this is a very overlooked prep.
                        I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

If you are going to be in close quarters be sure to have a stock of solid deodorants which have a terrific shelf life. Bathing and laundering less will take enough of a toll on your family scent wise, anything check you can do to combat some of it will be greatly appreciated if/when the time comes. I have 10 sticks of solid deodorant (all men's) among my prepper supplies.
                          http://completeprepperstore.com
                          You can never be too prepared

Comment

or just use plain powdered baking soda-just rub under the arms. I work outside and use this and don't smell at all.
                            Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Note on the Aloe Vera because it's great for many things. See if you can find a Texas Aloe Vera plant, gets way bigger than the Aloe Vera most people grow, bigger leaf equals more juice. Have one in a decently sized planter outside and water it maybe every three months unless it rains a bit, have had it for six years.

TP stores more compactly if you remove the air via ziplocs or food saver.
                              lofflorida.com

Comment

Working...
                              X