On a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a budget

I just read this article on Infidel body armor. Just wanted to share. I have used this website before. Pretty good people. www.infidelbodyarmor.com

" Combat Readiness on a Budget!
    Are you discouraged when you see the prices of rifles, clothing and equipment? You're not alone. The market for high-end tactical equipment is growing and it's staggering to see how much some people are willing to spend on some of this stuff. For instance, you might ask,"How much better is a $2,317 Lancer L15 Super Competition vs. a $520 DPMS Oracle?" I'm betting in a blind taste test most couldn't tell a difference.
    Secondly, readiness is more than just buying stuff. You need to train and account for training expenditures. So, what does it really cost to get tactically prepared on a budget?

I decided to make a list of what I consider the essential gear for a combat patrol. Anything else is just a nice to have, but is not essential.

Rifle: You need a real modern battle rifle. Not a hunting rifle or a WWII relic. Get an AK-47 or an AR-15. Spend about $500-550 for a new rifle with iron sites.

Magazines: Get 7 Magazines for your rifle. It will probably come with one, so you only need to buy six. Expect to pay $10 each for a IMI 5.56 magazine. Only use magazines that are in use by militaries (IMI is used by the Israeli army). Also get a MOLLE magazine pouch to hold them ($15-20).

Ammo: You need ammo. One thousand rounds of fighting ammo, plus 1000 per year of practice ammo. $.50 per round for fighting and ~.30/each for practice. Be sure to get the same grain for each. Recommend 55 grain for 5.56. You can only hold 210 rounds in your seven magazines, so you could go for even less fighting ammo, counting on resupplying from the enemy you killed. However, you may be retreating from the enemy and will need to resupply from your own stash- so, on the cheap, you might realistically only need 500 rounds of fighting ammo.

Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK): You need a first aid kit with a tourniquet and an blood stopping bandage. There's many on the market, but we offer a essential kit for just $50. You don't need one with all the bells an whistles since most battlefield injuries are treated with a tourniquet. In fact, you can go even cheaper and just get a tourniquet for $30.

Kit: You need a place to hang your gear. Now, you can just get a stout belt and attach the pouches to your belt, or you can spend $45 for a plate carrier that will hold that gear much more efficiently. I recommend the carrier, but you can get a good nylon duty web belt for about $15 that may get the job done. Notice I did not include body armor? You'd think an armor company would hype that, but it's honestly not essential. However, if you do get a carrier to hang your gear, you can always add armor later when the funds allow.

Boots: Here's one area I would not go cheap on. I'm a fan of Belleville boots and I recommend them. You need to take care of your feet and cheap boots won't take care of you. The Belleville F390 Hot Weather boots will protect your feet and cost about $120. Spend $10 min per pair of wool or synthetic socks (not cotton). Or you can use what you have in the closet.

Clothing: You should have durable military pants and blouse. While Multi-Cam is the best all-round camouflage, you can pick up surplus Woodland BDU Pants for $30 or less and a MTP (multicam) combat shirt for about the same price. Worst case, wear blue jeans or cargo pants and an earth-toned T-shirt.

In all, you'll spend about $1000 minimum (total including footwear and ammo). On the cheap, you can do it for $700 (assuming you have some clothes and boots already and don't go crazy on the ammo purchase).

Once you have the essential gear, you can get essential training.

Dry Fire: I would consider going to the range and shooting live rounds only after at least 200 aimed and controlled dry-fires (you can do your dry fires at the range if needed). Most weapon training can be performed without actually firing. Practice from the low carry position with the safety on. Thumb off the safety as you bring the weapon up and line up your sites on a target. Pull the trigger and cycle the weapon (if you are dry firing). Scan the area, and apply the safety. Even if you have tons of money and don't mind shooting ammo, you should dry fire and practice your trigger pull and sight alignment. Cost: $0.

Range: Conserve your ammo by following a training plan. Sight in your weapon first. After sighting in, you should follow your plan. Don't ever just go and waste ammo. Have a purpose in your training. Say you want to practice 20 ready ups from standing firing 1 shot each time with only 2-3 cartridges in each magazine (you'll practice reloading), then 20 ready ups from standing and then take a knee and fire one more (still with only 2-3 rounds in each magazine). Then practice controlled pairs (20 sets). If you've done this plan you'll have only shot 100 rounds (plus whatever you shot in sighting it in), but you would have done 30 magazine changes and received 100% more valuable training than the guy in the other lane using the sandbag to plink all day. Plan on expending only $30 worth of ammo, but plan to make every round count. If you have 1000 rounds of practice ammo, you'd be able to practice nearly every month at the range and not bust the bank.

Patrol training: I highly recommend you get the Driven DVD and book. You should read about patrolling from other sources as well to get your knowledge rounded out and figure out the best method for you. Applied knowledge is power and wisdom. Practice with a veteran who knows what he's doing. Even if you can't get him to come out with you, pick his brain for info. The Driven book and DVD cost $50 (retail) and you'll get more information than you would get if you spent $1000 in training over a week long period. However, you should plan once a year to actually get hands-on training from an expert to solidify your personal training regimen. Most good courses cost $200/day. Research and prepare for the course before going so you can get the most for your money.

Physical training: You don't need to spend money for a gym membership to work out. Run around your house, do jumping jacks, jump rope, etc. Do planks, pushups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. Read up on calisthenics. You can get very strong without lifting a single dumbbell and it doesn't cost a thing. The new Driven 2 DVD (still editing) has a bonus section that shows you how to workout and train for almost nothing. Stay tuned for the release (planned early summer).

So, there you have it. You can spend $3000 on a rifle and optics, or you can spend about $1000 total and be 100's of times more tactically prepared than the guy with the safe queen at the range.
    Last edited by kickstand; 04-28-2016, 07:59 PM. Reason: Corrected link address

Trying to fall in line with kickstand. He laid down the challenge so I'm stepping up, thanks kickstand

Comment

Nice write up Highland, thanks!
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Thanks for the write up. Makes a lot of sense....

Comment

When you come to a great article, good form is to give a brief blurb to catch some interest, and sometimes a short quote, with the link. We don't want someone who's just browsing through to think we'd take credit for someone else's work.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

The budget conversation is a frequent one, that often leads to the do-it-yourself conversation. Funding (and the lack of,) has led to other options for most of us.

Comment

I thought I had my quotations in place. Sorry for the confusion . I see what you're saying

Comment

Kickstand, thank you but I just cut and pasted the article. W. Lynn has corrected me and I now know the proper way to post. Catchy line, short blurb and link to the article. Forgive the misconception, it wasn't intentional

Comment

Thank you W.Lynn, I want to do it right and you don't know till you're taught.

Comment

Happy to help. We get a few people who've never really hung out on forums before (or worse, have been on forums where there's nothing like respect for anyone's work, or any kind of standards.) A good citizen of the interwebz is welcome about everywhere.

Comment

Highland I appreciated the post that you did. Sometimes I get tired of having to go to another link to read the info. This was very informative and gave me some ideas. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for the article Highland. I've been trying to gather gear for well over a year now and balancing cost vs quality vs cool factor vs priorities is a challenge. I've made some compromises for the better and some mistakes along the way.

Is the link you have there correct? That takes me out to one of those generic placeholder sites that offer to sell the domain for cheap money. I did find this http://infidelbodyarmor.com/ after a quick search.

Comment

That's it Boston Joe

Comment

Highlander, the link is probably the most important part - it's the source and attribution. That will keep you on the good side of any copyright issues. Some forums, will copy/paste the whole article, as well - citing the fair use clause for education and discussion. I was in on some early talks about what makes sense about that, online way back when. It's changed a lot since then. The usual is to only quote, copy/paste a pertinant "blurb"... but like HH says, sometimes it's nice to have the whole article without going out to another site.

I think as long as you credit the source, with the link - it's all good.

Comment

Thanks Sac, I appreciate that. I definitely wasnt trying to mislead anyone. Just thought it might be easier to read the article without redirecting. I will heed the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X