Packing recommendation for my...pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing recommendation for my...pack

There is lots of suggestions about what gear to put in our BoB/GHB. I have learned a lot from the conversations here and from some other sources both on line and in print. One thing that isn't so well covered is HOW to pack the gear that you have. I know that not all packs are created equally, nor will everyone pack things the same way. Is there a good rule of thumb on what should go where? Something has to be at the bottom of the main compartment. Some things will get more use than others and should therefore be be more or less accessible based on that. I have near zero experience with this so I really need some guidance.

I was always taught to put the heavy stuff towards the bottom of the pack. This makes sure the pack doesn't get to top heavy and pull you around when you move. Also, try to keep anything heavy closer to your back for the same reason.

From there, I try to look at what gets used the most and keep that most accessible. Like you mentioned, each pack is different and it can be hard to tell you where to put your stuff without knowing what stuff you have and what places you have to put it. Typically for me, I have my FAK first thing inside my top pouch. If I need anything, it is the quickest to get to. Food goes in the side pockets of my pack. Tarp and tent is strapped on the outside bottom. Clothes near the bottom of the large section. Sleeping bag on top.

Hope this helps.

Comment

There are things you will only want once or twice in a day, if at all - you may not have time to strip down, scrub your bod, and tick-check if it's a situation to hoof it home with a GHB on your back. Food, you want several times a day if you're lucky enough to have time and safety to eat, drink some water any time you think about it. First aid items may not be needed often, but you'll sure want to put your hands on that kit pretty fast when you DO want it! If you're on blood pressure or other daily meds, don't bury them. Epi pens and insulin might be needed quick (though with insulin, if you can get to the point of controlling by diet & exercise, you'll be in better shape than many - it's a task worth attempting if you are a candidate to do so.)
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Great advice from both. I want to emphasize the recommendation to keep the First-Aid kit VERY accessible.

Here's a situation I dealt with about a year ago at work. During the lunch hour, I am often the only person in the building. I was doing something mundane, but still managed to take a pretty good gash out of the meaty part of the palm of my hand. Nothing life threatening, but I needed to get it wrapped up, as it was bleeding pretty good. The owners version of a "First Aid Kit" at work is a box of BandAids that are probably 15 years old, and a container of salt. Luckily, I keep my gauze, etc in the outermost pocket of my GHB, so I was able to access it and get things under control pretty fast. I wouldn't want to have had to start sorting through the GHB while hurting, trying to locate the needed supplies.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Keep the heavy stuff closest to your back, think Leverage. The farther away from your body the weight is, the harder it will be to carry. Agree with the rest of the comments in general, quick access spots, top, pouches, etc. for your Medical Kit, stuff you use a lot, more often.

Comment

This all makes sense. Now to put this all into practice.

Comment

Working...
            X