• Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Price-Watch

Paying the doctor with chickens and eggs is becoming
    more possible than ever. Check the prices, below, to make
    sure you don't overpay the doc!

I won't bash the CSA thing too much. The ranchers may need
    such things for legal protection.

This example is from a ranch one mile away from my house. I think it
    shows a current opportunity for ranchers who may be able to transport
    their products to compete with this nonsense.

screenshot1.png
    screenshot2.png
    Last edited by Terence; 02-17-2016, 04:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Well if I could get prices like that for eggs and chickens I would quit my job today and start raising birds....I checked out the website. Unless one of them is a web-design guru that site cost them a pretty penny.

Comment

Hooly crapp. that makes two of us DL. I thought I was doing well to sell mine through a friend for $2/dz. In GA, we can't sell without a candling license.

Comment

I am definitely selling to the wrong crowd.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
          Hooly crapp. that makes two of us DL. I thought I was doing well to sell mine through a friend for $2/dz. In GA, we can't sell without a candling license.
          Over in AL they go for $4 a dozen

Comment

Redman, excuse my naivety, but I thought you candled eggs to ensure there was no embryo. What is the reason to candle fresh eggs that go straight from coop to refrigerator?

Comment

Yep. That's how Joel Salatin and Forrest Pritchard and farmers/ranchers like them make enough money to have a name (then they write books!) they marketed heavily to the right people in the right 'money' areas. People will pay those prices.
              And then you have those people (like certain older members of my family) who feel that the no chemical/ grass fed/naturally raised animals and vegetables are an embarassment because it means a person doesn't have the money to buy it in the store. (eyeroll) and they are ashamed of their own heritage. *nipping this rant in the bud*.
              Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Maybe all of the producers on this board should get together and start some type of cooperative. We can all get together and develop a swanky looking website to advertise what we raise and then everybody takes care of the orders from their AO. Selling stuff for prices like those and it won't be long before we'll all be fartin' through silk.

Tex
                = 2
                sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

The Georgia Department of Agriculture was established in 1874 and is the oldest state department of agriculture in the United States. Tyler Harper is the current Commissioner. The Georgia Department of Agriculture helps farmers, consumers, and businesses. We regulate animals, food, fuel, plants, soil, and pesticides produced or sold within the State of Georgia.

Georgians who want to produce and offer for sale shell eggs shall comply with the Georgia Egg Law and obtain and egg candling certificate in order to be able to sell eggs to the consumer at places other than on their farm.
                  Sell them from your farm only...

When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

DL, blood spots, rotting etc is the reason. You should be able to spot degraded eggs, decreases in the thick albumin, air pockets, etc. For persona use, we do not worry with it. We have learned to crack the eggs in a bowl before adding them to a recipe. A half developed chick dropping in the cookie batter is a little bit of a turn off, but the guests never knew. Had a hen that was setting and I did not realize it. She hid a small clutch that I thought was freshly laid. Oooops.

We can sell from the house, but I can not deliver to a buyer or sell at the farmer's markets, so I give my extras to a friend. He candles them and puts them in with his eggs for sale. he usually pays me in goat cheese.

- - - Updated - - -

CWI,
                    I just don't want the hassle for the little bit of money. I don't care for people I don't know on the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                      Maybe all of the producers on this board should get together and start some type of cooperative. We can all get together and develop a swanky looking website to advertise what we raise and then everybody takes care of the orders from their AO. Selling stuff for prices like those and it won't be long before we'll all be fartin' through silk.

Tex
                      Excellent idea!

The Georgia Department of Agriculture was established in 1874 and is the oldest state department of agriculture in the United States. Tyler Harper is the current Commissioner. The Georgia Department of Agriculture helps farmers, consumers, and businesses. We regulate animals, food, fuel, plants, soil, and pesticides produced or sold within the State of Georgia.

Georgians who want to produce and offer for sale shell eggs shall comply with the Georgia Egg Law and obtain and egg candling certificate in order to be able to sell eggs to the consumer at places other than on their farm.
                      Sell them from your farm only...
                      Quote Originally Posted by redman2006 View Post
                      That's why entrepreneurs must be problem solvers. Just part of the gig.
                      Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I think goat cheese is more than a fair trade! I tried my hand at cheese once, it is not an activity for amateurs....

Comment

We get a couple dozen eggs a day, give or take, we share with a few close friends and we trade with a farmer nearby who grows different veggies than we do, so it works out great. I am the same way in that I don't want people driving up that I don't know.
                          Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

I tried making goat cheese. It was one of the "cooked" varieties. Followed the recipe and it turned out good. I don't think I care to try any of the aged versions myself. That looks like a great way to lose a lot of milk and/or make myself sick.

Comment

Local Price for 1 gallon of raw milk: $16

We can only get it from a distributor. The closest is "Eco-chic":

eco-chic.png

The distributor gets it from "Organic Pastures":
                              Our raw dairy products are simply that - it’s milk that is unprocessed, whole, and living, with all of its beneficial bacteria. We meticulously craft our artisan products so that you and your family can enjoy each savory, nutrient dense and rich flavor. SIMPLY FLASH-CHILLED, FILTERED, AND TESTED.

organic-pastures.png

I've called Organic pastures and they won't sell it directly to me.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X