Need some thoughts on the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some thoughts on the house

Well, a few here know that I bought the clinic where I have been employed for the past 8 years. I hope it is a good move. To be honest, I had to stop following the doom and gloom in the commodities thread because of it. I have enough things happening right now to worry about than what might happen. Some may call that short sighted, but I really feel I can pull through about anything as long as it is not total collapse.

Anyway, since it is now official, and we will be there for the duration of my carreer, we have decided that we want to move further from Atlanta and closer to work. So yesterday we began to look at homes on the market. One that I have just really fallen for is over 100 years old, has three year round streams on the property, decent pasture, and a small barn. Now we have only found 2 others in our price range and with adequate land. Both are much new homes.

So, for those in older homes, what do you think about it? This one has been remodeled, the wiring is up to date, and it has central air installed. At the same time, it is a tinderbox. Board and batten type siding, ship lap wood inside and a bead board type ceiling. I do not think there is a bit of sheetrock in the place other than the bathrooms.

I have lived in and fully remodeled a 1913 home in Western Kansas, but this is an old farmhouse that was built before REA, running water, or any other amenities. That is what makes it so appealing to me. It still has a run in it for a cook stove pipe. There are a couple of fireplaces for heat. the windows have been replaced, but still retain the double hung usefulness and size for ventilation in the summer should electric go out.

The foundation appears solid, and even though there is a creek not 150 feet from the house, it has sat there without flooding since 1907. The creek does present a challenge. I can see where the recent heavy rains and flooding brought it up. Getting out of there could be a challenge for days given high water. I guess I would have to build a foot bridge across the creek and then park on high ground on the other side, because only a low water crossing exists now.

Now, of the other two we found, neither have any pasture, but I feel clearing the land and planting grass could be feasibile. We have to have enough sun for a garden, and both of those homes are in heavily wooded areas. Both are much newer. All three are very secluded, but one of them has a bunch of "rough" homes that you have to go past to get to it. Should SHTF, or even times get a little tough, I am concerned that the one would be cut off should the neighbors act up and could be a target. There is a fair bit of petty crime in the county as it is due to poverty and mentality of some. All three are at the end of a road, one way in and one out if going by vehicle.

The good thing about the other two newer homes is that they are high and dry. I do really like one as it has a full walk out basement. The Old house does not have a basement. I have not yet found a cellar on the property, but I think there almost has to be one there. If not, I may need to create one.

Storage in the new properties is much better as both have basements and areas for a shop. I would have to add something for a shop in the old one. Adding a cook stove to either of the new properties would be difficult, and back up heat is going to be a single fireplace built for looks, not functionality. A generator can keep the blowers on the heater working with propane heat, but both are set up with heat pumps right now, and that takes a helluva lot more fuel and a much larger generator to keep them running.

the land is equivalent at all three, 10 acres give or take. All three have wells and septic. A generator for the well will be a must, but the creeks on the old farmstead would be a source of water as well. It has a second well that is a large bored well as well, so bucketing could be done in an emergency.

I keep mentioning emergencies here. I am not so much worried about the SHTF type emergency, but the weather related ones. Getting out into the couny in this area means downed power lines because of trees on a very regular basis. It also means land lines, as cell phone reception was ZILCH at all three. These are all places that I would have to add a chainsaw to the vehicles as part of EDC in case of a storm.

So what I am asking, as I ramble on here, what would you look for in a small home place like this? What would you avoid? What are deal breakers or makers?

We are in no rush to move and are just starting the process. We have eliminated several based on proximity to a highway (hate listening to that and it puts us right out there for easy pickings), access and usability of the land. We found oune that the house sat high on a ridge. Getting to it required 4wd in clear weather. A billy goat would have a hard time keeping his footing on that property as the ONLY level spot had to be created so a house could be built. Gently rolling my ass, but with that high ground, you could hold off the zombies as long as you had ammo, or rocks. Another looked good on paper until we got there and found a tarped roof and mold in the house that the agent forgot to mention. And so on.

Anyway, I am all ears. What do you look for in a place that will be your residence and your refuge? We don't have BOL's. This is it. We will BUG in should anything ever happen.
    Last edited by redman2006; 02-14-2016, 09:18 AM.

Rough homes nearby would be a concern until I found out why they were in that condition. Absent that, I'd steer clear of that area.

A suggestion, when your looking, approach it from the angle of how you would assault the house. If that could be easily done, I'd drop it from the list. Assuming it past that measure, then does it have a means of covered egress either natural or engineered in the event of the worst. If not, again drop it.
    Once those two are satisfied, I'd identify the local social hang out. That can be a gas station, deli, restaurant, etc. Get the feel of your potential new community. Locals being reserved and asking you what your doing there can be a good thing or a bad one depending how they approach/react to you.
    Research the area for the crime, natural disaster, etc history. To much bad history is just as bad as no history showing. Meth production, robberies, etc are bad, but there is no such animal as an area 100% clear of all negatives. If it comes up 100% free of negatives, it was made artificially so.

Research the local craftsman. If the place is an old house in a rural area, the locals will have had some influence if through nothing else than helping the former owner. They will generally know what manner of pest have caused what problem in the area as well.

Dig up any geological surveys you can find. Same goes for any history of resource gathering (mining, lumbering, etc). Definitely pin down water and mineral rights. Also remember the water table can be contaminated from fairly long distances away.

Prevailing winds are important as well. Look upwind for any threat (chemical plants, large cities that may be a target etc)

Then it would be time to research building code in the area, restrictions etc.

Assuming all checks out, then it's time to get into the particulars of the location. Whatever abode I planned on, the above would have been considered first.
    When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Restrictions are not an issue. Neither are large cities, nuke or chemical plats. This is rural NW Georgia. Gilmer county and surrounding areas specifically. Unfortunately Gilmer was the subject of a show called meth mountain a while back. It can be pretty redneck, and not in a good way. It was also voted most redneck county in Georgia. Again, not in a good "salt of the earth" redneck way.

The rough houses are inhabited. Trash everywhere, vehicles on blocks, pit bull chained out, and so on. That concerns me.

Honestly, if I have to defend the house in a serious way beyond a home invasion, I am truly, well and royally screwed. The mountain house I mentioned could be defended easily, but God help you if you step 5 feet off the back porch, cause you won't stop until you hit the valley floor 1/2 mile below. There is no way I could keep the horses there. Darned tough to add a shop. Forget a garden unless you terrace it ancient Peruvian style.

The old home is isolated. People would have to know it is there. Really in all three that is the case. That isolation could work both ways. I do like my peace and quiet.

I am more worried about common emergencies rather than an end of rol. Things like forest fires, floods, serious storms, gas crisis, recession or depression, and so on. I know, especially with iran, nk, and a few ithers, that may be short sighted, but I think it is more realistic.

Does anyone have any experience with cargo container building? I wonder about those as an easy way to get my shop built. Painted and landscaped, I think they could be a viable option to a Morton type building.

Comment

One other question. We are debating flooring here at the current house.

I purchased this as a foreclosure. The carpet was in tough shape when I moved in in 06. I was a batchelor, and really not concerned. It was stained, had a couple of spots that looked like a candle had tipped over and melted the carpet and dumped wax etc. Anyway, 10 years of living on it has done it no favors, so

Do you replace the carpet before showing so it looks better or allowed a carpet allowance? If you replace, do you go back with carpet or a laminate? Hardwood is too expensive unless we were to stay.

I feel like replacing the carpet with laminate will give us the best look and sell better. The wife says either leave it alone or laminate. The cost difference between carpet and laminate is about $1000 for the affected area.

Comment

I'm a poor judge of austetics, but will go so far as replacing the obviously worn is a good idea.
          When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

As for cargo container/sealand construction, I've extensive experience. I've certified them through lloyds and BV, developed both the robotics and robotic welding procedures for them, materials analysis, etc. On the user end, I've converted many to field offices, labs, and shops. I've done a few as BOL/EMP safe rooms as well as hunting sheds. A-Z as it were.

There are some specific concerns with coatings and welding on them if you wish them to hold up long term as most are manufactured with weathering steel. After that though, it's relatively easy to build a shop out of them.

Comment

Edit; don't let the focus of that article fool you corten is used extensively in bridges, but the data directly transfers to shipping containers.
              Except for the later except the weld filler. ER80S-G or ER80S-W alternatively you can use a 2.5% Nickel steel ER80S-Ni2 for that.
              Last edited by Cwi555; 02-14-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Flooring at an older house? Depends on what you like, and how lucky you are. A friend of ours recently needed to redo floors in 1/2 of her house. It had carpet and laminate. When it was all pulled up, the original floor was beautiful red oak. Needless to say she sanded it down and a few coats of polyurethane later she has flooring worthy of envy.

Comment

Job, this is on a fairly new construction home we would sell. Plywood subfloor. In the remodel of the western kansas home, I lucked into the same situation as your friend. The old home I am looking at has heart pine floors mostly.

Comment

Red, on the flooring laminate or engineered hardwood (you'll have to compare prices). That seems to be the #1 design feature people are looking for, these days.

I've lived with being flooded in/out; and even with a double culvert and gravelled roadbed - I have seen this wash out just from snow melt and a little rain. A footbridge would need to be designed such that it would be above any flood level; and that includes it's anchoring system. But I'm a sucker for old farmhouses. And if you're building, you end up getting what YOU want, instead of trying to make what someone else wanted work for you.

I do like walkout basements for the functional space, but it does weaken the storm shelter aspect of it. I am not such a fan of MOST new construction techniques. There is a reason there are so many 50s and 60s homes still around and being remodelled, especially if they are on any acreage. Whatever you decide on, make sure you have a home inspection done (and insist on your own inspector). You'll want someone acquainted with old houses; someone who helps preserve them if you go that route.

I have noticed (and maybe it's just a seasonal thing) that the area I'm looking at (and have already bought a small place) - there aren't many new listings at all. There are a couple ways to read that, IMO. People are there for the duration and no intention of going anywhere else. Or the type of property/lack of modern civilization is too off-putting to buyers. (That's kind of an amenity to me; but hubs didn't see it that way.) I tend to avoid areas where there are a LOT of for sale signs. Something is driving them out... and there's a 99% chance that whatever it is wouldn't be attractive to me either.

cwi, given your criteria I think you just sold me on the cabin I bought; I can stop looking for "something better" now! Yay! LOL.

Comment

Cwi. Are there any higher roofed containers? As a shop, headroom is important. Also, as a shop, I would probably just have 2 side but side and welded up. Cut the majority of the center walls out and have to find a way to fill the gap at the joint for weather proofing. I would also use the end doors as the entry since getting tools, lumber etc out would be easier.

Some insulation and a heat source would be gtg for winter, but moisture here is an issue in the summers. A dehumidifier or ac may be a must. Maybe an earth covering might keep it cooler, but the rusting out would be a concern.

I need to learn about roofing options for these

Comment

I am a fool for old houses. But having remolded a few in the past It kind of broke me of wanting one. 100 year old farm houses here are double planked walls no insulation hand dug basements sitting on rock walls with no French drains . If they have re wired it and put in breaker boxes that's a plus. Usually though the receptacles are original. Check for lead pipes for plumbing and most of all have a professional do all he can to make sure it is termite free..
                        House hunting is a real bitch. I remember those times well . You can hardly ever find a place that you like and an area you want to live both. All I can say is if you feel uncomfortable with the neighboring property's now just looking. You will really will be uncomfortable once you own it and live close to them. The advice I give to you is what I gave my daughter and husband. Take your time and look at all the options .Finding the perfect house and location is next to impossible but settling for something your not happy with wont get better by owning it. TK

Comment

They conform to an ISO standard if it's a shipping containers. They can be chopped and welded though.
                          As for joining them in that fashion, you will have to reinforce the roof. They are not designed to stand like that.

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                          Cwi. Are there any higher roofed containers? As a shop, headroom is important. Also, as a shop, I would probably just have 2 side but side and welded up. Cut the majority of the center walls out and have to find a way to fill the gap at the joint for weather proofing. I would also use the end doors as the entry since getting tools, lumber etc out would be easier.

Some insulation and a heat source would be gtg for winter, but moisture here is an issue in the summers. A dehumidifier or ac may be a must. Maybe an earth covering might keep it cooler, but the rusting out would be a concern.

I need to learn about roofing options for these

Comment

My $.02 is stay away from anything in a flood zone. I've had family that lived near a creek that would floor from time to time. It is a pain and not worth it in my opinion. My property has 2 substantial creeks flow through it. But where we are building is over 500' from them and over 150' in vertical elevation above them. I never want to have my house even close to water that could flood it. Just because it hasn't in the past, doesn't mean that it can't ever happen. And the only thing you can do to rising water is run. You can't fight it. Just run away.

Comment

We are still looking. We came across a farmhouse built in 1870. It has had several hack jobs done to it, but a nice stocked pond, a multitude of spings, large garden area and out buildings make it very attractive.

My concern is water. It is supplied by a spring. I wonder if we will need to drill a conventional well to have good and reliable water. Contamination is a concern.

It is tough to find affordable farmstead that work for what we would like.

Comment

Working...
                              X