Hello from Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Michigan

Hello from Michigan! Love the books, I read the first book back in November and I just keep buying them, I am waiting on the 6th one in the mail at the moment.

I have been interested in mild prepping since I read one second after back in October. I am a believer in being prepared for anything, have done 5 day hunting trips but even then I found myself realizing I wasnt prepared enough. I am a full time student but I move every 3 months because i do a internship type of thing at a company. Unfortunately I am tight on money being in college and all and prepping to travel from jackson mi or flint mi to my home town (115 miles away from Jackson or 50 miles from flint) would be a night mare. Flints bad enough if yall havent heard the news. and jackson id have to travel through Lansing (Michigan capital). I hope to get information and advice with the money and the fact that i would have to travel, like Morgan, to get back home for my more long term gear. So id have to Go Home

Glad to be here, look forward for advice and knowledge.
    Yall can call me Holiday

Hi Holiday and welcome from South Carolina. Poke a round a bit and I'm sure you'll find a thread on what your looking for. If not ask away. I still consider myself a beginner at all of this but the folks here have been very helpful and I'm much better prepared now.

Comment

Welcome from Florida !
      People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
      ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Welcome to the board. You came to the right place if you are looking for helpful folks. Our experiences and advice lean more toward the practical, everyday stuff, than the tacticool. And we all know what it is like to try and work within a budget. Have a look around and check out the different conversations and if you don't see what you are after, by all means, start up a thread.

It's good to have you.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Hi Holiday and welcome. You are thinking ahead and that probably the most important aspect of being prepared, having the right mindset.
          Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Welcome Holiday from southeast West Virginia by way of NW Ohio. You might want to make sure you have an old fashion paper map of Michigan so that if you need to walk you can plan on ways of getting home without going through major cities if possible. Being on a budget is how most of us started prepping and continue to prep. Doing a little at a time is the way to go. As long as you have the basics of food, water, fire, & safety you can get anywhere. Good luck and ask away.

Comment

Yup, I don't think that any of us are sitting on piles of cash, so we ALL like to make our preps stretch out.
              Oh yeah, welcome from New Mexico. Let's all hope that you don't have to hike home, but it never hurts to be ready to do so, and to have a bit of a plan in place in case you need to. Heck, I would only have about a 15 mile hike, but it's still not anything that I'd look forward to doing if bad things were to happen.

Have you started a GHB (around here, we call them Going Home Bags)? Have you started putting a little bit of food/water etc aside, usually in 5 gallon buckets? It doesn't take a ton of cash to put a freeze dried meal in a backpack every week or two. Pretty soon, you'll have more than you think you'll need (which is really never the case), which is a good thing. Add a Bic or two, and a backup means of fire, and you're well on your way to being prepped for that hike home.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Holiday, I agree with kickstand. A GHB should be your priority. Just yesterday I saw an a tickle titled something like, "One Years worth of food for under $300" but it was mostly bulk grains and legumes so that probably wouldn't work well with moving around. For me preparing is a process, a little at a time.

Comment

Welcome from Okiehoma and prepping is not an overnight process. It takes thought and planning in what you/family needs are if SHTF. Water , shelter and food are the top 3. You build from there as you need. Being in frozen country adds to your needs as far as shelter and clothing. Think it out and ask questions we can steer you wrong as much as anybody.
                  If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Hi, you just figure out what you need first, then you work out how to manage it a little at a time. Sounds like you'd want a couple of good maps (state and local,) in case you're ever stuck figuring out an alternate way. Did that on my last road trip because a bridge was damaged in flooding.
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Welcome to the board Holiday. If you're passing through Flint don't drink the water! LOL. Glad to have you here. How much longer do you have in college?
                      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Working...
                      X