Hello -- checking in as per suggested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello -- checking in as per suggested

Hello, My name is JP. I just read the first two books of A. American's Going Home series. I love them. I feel like I know Morgan, we are definitely like minded. I am a vet, I was a school teacher but once we had kids it was decided that I stay home with them. So now I teach on-line courses at home and take care of my kids. We recently got off Edison's teet when we installed a solar system and battery bank. Technically we are on the grid, but if the grid goes down we can switch over to our battery bank. My sons and I started building a green house and we maintain a large garden. We've taught them to can and preserve fruit from our trees. So if you get on our Christmas card list expect some jelly. It's great for the kids to know where food comes from, that's something they don't teach in school. We also raise chickens. I'm in the process of designing a water catchment system and grey water re-purposing system. I have the water catchment in place but want to design it so that the water barrels aren't visible. So I'm hoping to read some suggestions.

Both our cars have get home systems like the character Morgan. My wife has a bigger system though because she is obligated (as a admin) to stay on her campus until all the students have been picked up. That could be days or even a week. I also have a bag that goes with me when I go on trips in other people's vehicles. One way or another, I will get home no matter what. Lack of gear will not hinder me.

Anyways, I'm here to learn more, and to read alternative ways to do things. I'm open minded. I don't know what what else to include here. It's been many years since I belonged to a forum. Thanks for having me.
    Last edited by Joe Beck; 01-13-2016, 05:39 PM.

Welcome from PA JB. Sounds like your pretty prepared to me. We got a real nice bunch here .

Comment

Hi from NC - way out by the ocean.

Comment

Hello from TN
        When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Hello for southern West Virginia. When you figure out your gray water re-purposing system I would like to hear more about it if you are willing to share the info. You sound like you are well prepared and on your way to self-sufficiency. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Comment

Hello and welcome from Missouri.
            Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
            Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

It sounds like we may be learning from you JP. Welcome from south central New Mexico.
              Last edited by kickstand; 01-13-2016, 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Welcome to the board! So do you homeschool your kids? I have an almost 3 year old that I truly don't want to send to school.

Comment

Welcome from NC JP.
                  http://www.nstactical.com For all your prepping, tactical, freeze dried food, first aid, surplus, water filtration, and body armor needs!

Comment

Welcome, what branch & mos? (We're very veteran friendly here.) Kudos on raising your kids well, few people can and preserve any more.
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Hi from SC.

Comment

USN AO2, grew up in the line shack, and I should have ended there. Attached to VFA 27 (F/A 18c). Kitty Hawk, Lemoore, NAS Fallon, Bahrain, Fujairah UAE (mail air base-- cool gig) ect. 8years. Thank you all for the welcome, I am already on page 13 of the Bug Out Bag Page and have posted my Truck bag. I am reading the Homesteading pages now-- amazing insight and info! Thank you all for your time!
                        Last edited by Joe Beck; 01-14-2016, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doublel View Post
                          Welcome to the board! So do you homeschool your kids? I have an almost 3 year old that I truly don't want to send to school.
                          I am home schooling our 4 year old, I might continue next year as well. I have a 9 year old in the 3rd grade. We are not happy with his education though. They stick him in front of a lap top and let the machine do the teaching. Not happy about that. My 4 year old has already achieved Kinder standards and it's only January. I was a Kinder and 3rd grade teacher so I know what they should know and the best way to teach them (after all they are mini-me-s). But two incomes was nice. Adjunct on-line teaching does not pay well, but we live within our means as if we only had one income. So I don't know, the man in me is hard wired to work. My ego is suffering to be honest.

Comment

You should go and create an education thread. I would love to pick your brain, about many things.

Comment

I'll do that once I catch up. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X