How to Build an Underground Bunker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Build an Underground Bunker

For those new to this thread who are reading this first - Mike, the owner, dug it out from 1995 to 1997 by hand with no mechanized equipment to help him. This was at 10,000 feet elevation with short summer seasons. The most expensive consideration was buying concrete (about 100 bags of 80 lb concrete) to the total of $1000 - $1500.

Unfortunately there are no pictures (that I am aware of) of the 1995-97 digging as this was before digital cameras and the builder was on his own with no-one to take pictures. (I don't think he began taking pictures until 1999-2000?).

The plan (not followed to the letter, but you'll get the picture)

Images...

Blast Doors:

These are steel and reinforced with concrete in the event of a big TEOTWAKI.

Roof Cross-section (sort-of):

Three layers of logs, 6 layers of waterproof sheeting, concrete and dirt

Bunk-beds and Ladder for accessing Emergency Hatch

Emergency Hatch

Landscaping and drainage ongoing:

Gun Port

Stores and Tools

Covert Exhaust system for Stove (tree stump faces road):

Roof goes into the Mountain! Maybe one day they'll be another tunnel going to the Cabin Build (that's another story though )

The design and plans shown in the vid are of a small pole shelter triple-clad with roof logs and sheeting (waterproof).

This allows the weight of concrete and earth on top for the overhead. For the walls logs and steel 'H' Beams along with more sheeting (waterproof) then earth.

The internal space resembles an 'L' shape as recommended for fallout / blast shelters. This is small but incredibly strong and resistant to cave-ins, earthquakes, disasters. The shelter is multi-functional with two bunks and two stoves providing heat.

A main entrance with a steel blast door and an emergency exit / trapdoor are installed.

The year round temperature is about 35 - 45 degrees without being heated. The bunker has been featured on multiple social-sites and Mike is often contacted by television companies for it to be shown on mainstream broadcasts. The Colony short-listed him for appearing on the show but ultimately another was chosen.

However when the challenging conditions are revealed to TV companies (short accessible seasons, snow fall requiring snow-mobiles etc) the producers normally go for an easy access bunker elsewhere and underground shelters that are more fancy.

This is doable by any able-bodied male (or female if driven enough) with the right location.

The location inspired a fictional film which was shot at Mike's Bunker called After The Fall / Raiders of the Mountain Hold:

I'd have many more pictures to show you BUT the retarded hosting site has crashed / won't let me upload any more pictures.

If you have any questions, please ask and I'll try and get a bit more specific.

The Next Big Project!

Oh yes, I have seen those images before. He's nice to talk to.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

WR - have you closed up shop on your site for the season? I was keeping up, it was a good distraction from everything I was doing. I built a house in the 90s, with my man at that time. It was conventional, but I can appreciate the thought that went into how you were going to do what you needed to do, yourself. You made significant progress in one season!

Comment

Originally posted by Sacajawea View Post
        WR - have you closed up shop on your site for the season? I was keeping up, it was a good distraction from everything I was doing. I built a house in the 90s, with my man at that time. It was conventional, but I can appreciate the thought that went into how you were going to do what you needed to do, yourself. You made significant progress in one season!
        Sac, MountainManMike (WR's friend with the bunker,) usually heads back to Colorado by now, though he HAS wintered-over before. Last I heard, his parents are quite getting on, and he stays with them most winters to take care of things for them. I love Mike's bunker, it's VERY old-school civil defense. (I am still supposed to review the Civil Defense book I picked up, but life & death have been kind of crazy lately.)

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
          Sac, MountainManMike (WR's friend with the bunker,) usually heads back to Colorado by now, though he HAS wintered-over before. Last I heard, his parents are quite getting on, and he stays with them most winters to take care of things for them. I love Mike's bunker, it's VERY old-school civil defense. (I am still supposed to review the Civil Defense book I picked up, but life & death have been kind of crazy lately.)
          You make a relevant point there. To the majority of those born after 1980 or so, the kind of bunker displayed by WR likely seems extreme if not a bit kooky. However, it is as you say "very old school civil defense" to many of those who were old enough to have been conscientious of the nuclear threat inherent to the cold war.

That is demographic too few pay attention to which amounts to 35 and under. What is the average age of federal officers, local leo, local media, and others a person should be conscious of? If one of them walked up on that location, what will they perceive and how will they perceive the person or persons it belongs to?

There was a time when that mattered far less, not so much anymore.
          When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Mike said a long while back that it hasn't been too unusual to arrive there, and find damage where people have tried to break in.
            Last edited by W.Lynn; 12-02-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: The operative word there is "tried."

Comment

That's a lot of work when you can just purchase this one outside of Atlanta for a mere $17.5. Oh...did I forget to add the "million" part? Oops, sorry, $17.5 million.

Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
              X