What wood stove to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wood stove to buy?

I am looking for a small wood burning stove that has one or two places on top for cooking and must be somewhat efficient for heating. Since I am in central Florida I don't need a monster size stove, but I want one that has a grate so you don't have to burn all the wood before you can empty the ashes. It seems many of the little wood stoves do not have a grate and I may be mistaken, but it appears that you can't empty the ashes until the stove has burned all the wood and that is not what am looking for. Also need one that won't break the bank and it wouldn't take too much to break my bank!

Any thoughts or ideas will be definitely appreciated.
    Kessler
    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Dad has a little one in the shop that is just what you described. It is not perfect, but it was very inexpensive. We have cooked on it.

As far as a grate, we added one to it. The wood burned much better, and as you said, you can empty ashes from it.

It looks just like : http://www.amazon.com/Vogelzang-BX42...0_SR160%2C160_

This one has the grate and has a little different vent for adjusting the air intake than his.

We paid about $199 new from a hardware store about 20 years ago, and it heats a 3 car garage sized shop very well when coupled with a "magic Air" blower. Without the blower, it did ok, but was not terribly efficient. In Kansas, it would make an unisulated shop comfortable with a light jacket or heavy shirt in the coldest time of year without the blower. I see them on Craigslist here for $100. A full load of wood and damped clear down would last about 6 hours or a little longer with hedge.

Cooking on it is a little tricky, this is super basic.

Are you looking for cooking, heating, both? Backup or primary? Cabin or daily use at home?

The frustrating part for me is meeting code with the space around the stove. Even a small one takes a huge chunk of real estate in a small home/room.

I would not suggest this one if it is an everyday unit. As a backup, it would be fine.

What is your budget? We just went through this too.

Comment

redman, I want to use it as a backup cooking source and an almost primary (if that makes sense) heating source in this little 640 sq. ft. block house I bought. I have a heating coil in my AC and a couple of space heaters, but would like to use the wood stove when temps get real low.

In the stove your dad has that you added a grate to, can you empty ashes as needed without the fire burning out?

Been looking on Craigslist in the Ocala, Tampa, Orlando areas, but either no grate or no cooking area or larger wood kitchen stoves or out of my price range of around $250.00. Just purchased a nice Hardwick 4 burner w/oven & broiler LP gas stove 20 inches wide for my primary cooking.

Code....code....what's that? Seriously though, I try to stay within code.
      Kessler

Comment

I would contact some local welding shops. Around here any welding shop has made dozens of wood stoves and can whip one up in no time to your exact specifications.

As red mentioned, the only issue is meeting code and insurance requirements.

Comment

Yes, we just use a cheap little fireplace shovel and a galvanized bucket to get the ash out from under the grate. Just be sure the coals are out before you dump it on the compost pile.....oooooopps.

If you are serious about heat, I would not suggest that stove. You should have one with a good seal. It will be both more efficient and better for health issues with smoke. It won't be as good for cooking, but can be pressed into service.

I see the ones with a stepped box here for about $250 up on Craigslist locally. Even a rusted one can be where wheeled and sprayed with stove paint to make it look presentable again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zef_66 View Post
            I would contact some local welding shops. Around here any welding shop has made dozens of wood stoves and can whip one up in no time to your exact specifications.

As red mentioned, the only issue is meeting code and insurance requirements.
            Zef, I would be extremely surprised if a welding shop within 250 miles has ever made a wood burning stove, remember I am in central Florida. Now if I had specs, I am sure they could make one, but I'd rather buy a good used (or even new) one that is proven. Just may take some time to find what I want. It doesn't stay too cold here, but it'd be nice to fire up a wood stove during the few weeks we get uncomfortable cold weather. Also need it for cooking, just in case......
            Kessler

Comment

Have a look here; http://www.ithacastoveworks.com/stoves/wood-stoves/

You will find all the big names, and there are some nice cast iron models as well.

You will find an assortment of wood stoves in rust belt areas on craigslist such as http://ithaca.craigslist.org/search/...y=wood%20stove

This one looks more or less what you are looking for http://ithaca.craigslist.org/for/5252884478.html

Comment

Fisher and Kodiak are two names that I recognize as good stoves. Of course I don't look at them too much. I burn coal right now and my dad is building me one for my new place.

If it was me, I would see if I could find a used cook stove. My uncle still has one in the old farm house and it heats very well. It would do fine for a small house, especially in FL.

Comment

WOW. Zef, those are a lot cheaper there than here.

BTW, pants to ship on Friday. I am splitting them up. Had several pairs.

Comment

This is a nice alternative. I'm thinking of getting one for our place.
                    If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockntoy View Post
                      http://wisewaypelletstovesofwashington.com/
                      This is a nice alternative. I'm thinking of getting one for our place.

Rock, pellet stoves have their place and may be ideal for some applications, but I want a stove I can use not only in electric outages, but in a SHTF situation should that ever occur. Wood I can get for maybe a few years to come, but I do not want to store bags of pellets. Still looking and not in a big hurry, something will come up...
                      Kessler

Comment

The small wood cook stoves are a great idea. Just make sure your firewood length is compatible with whatever you buy. Here's something in FL craigslist that you might be interested in making an offer. He's asking $600, but offer him $250 and he might take it. http://cfl.craigslist.org/app/5256976739.html This one needs to be mounted on a layer of bricks with an heat resistant pad. http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...33619018426606

One of my uncles uses a boxwood stove http://www.amazon.com/Vogelzang-BX42...0_SR160%2C160_

He has it in his basement right under a big opening to all his duct work. That little stove heats his whole house! No furnace noise or expense, no forced air noise; just nice warm air gently wafting out of the duct work all the time. It keeps his 1300 sq.ft. toasty warm. When they have power outages, they cook on it.

Since you are putting yours in your main living area, you need to maintain the required distances from walls and be sure to use the heat resistant floor protector, too. If you can't maintain distance fro walls, then be sure to apply protection to the wall surround or you'll burn down your house. Also, with a small space, you might want to consider a pot belly style, that is more upright and takes up a smaller foot print. This one has a smaller footprint, but only takes 20" logs that must be split, no doubt. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rancher-1...tove/203630370

I would recommend going to all the local used furniture places and let them know you are looking for a small wood burning cookstove in the price range of $200. Hit all the local country auctions every week until you find one.

Good luck!
                        Last edited by Dode; 10-11-2015, 09:37 AM.
                        Dode

Comment

For $250 you could probably build a rocket mass heater for your house. Note that a rocket mass heater is slightly different than a rocket stove. Have you read about them? They are a very efficient use of wood fuel. The vent pipe is very long and runs along the floor before it is vented upwards through the ceiling. Thus, capturing most of the heat for use in the house. The portion that is released at the rooftop is about 85 degrees and smoke free.

rocket mass heaters are the cleanest and most sustainable way to heat a conventional home

Some rocket mass heaters have a cook top incorporated into the design. Even if all you did was make one of a 55 gallon steel drum, you could still use the top of the drum as a cook top. Also, high temp stove paint comes in a variety of colors. If your stucco heat bench was a neutral tan color, you could paint the drum a tan color to coordinate with the bench.

Here are a bunch of images for ideas.

I like something like this one, but without the bed attached to the back of it. It has an oven incorporated into it.

RocketMassHeaterStove.JPG
                          Last edited by Dode; 10-11-2015, 11:16 AM.
                          Dode

Comment

Kess, look around online for local auctions. You are likely to find one at an estate or farm/ranch auction. Alot of times, they go cheap because people don't want to be saddled with moving them. If I had a way to get it to you, I would send you a wood/electric Monarch brand kitchen stove. I paid $30 for it a couple years back.

Tex
                            = 2
                            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Or, you could do this, until next year:

Dode

Comment

Working...
                              X