Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe

Just went past PBS on my way to the internet, briefly, there was an example of a bicycle-powered lathe. I liked the idea, and wondered if anyone here has ever used or built one?
    quam minimum credula postero

Well you left out something lol , metal or wood lathe ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MBfOhrV-hg if you'll notice she is peddling backwards .

Comment

W.Lynn, not to hijack your thread, but what about a bicycle powered generator? Bicycle powered washing machine? Bicycle powered water pump? Bicycle powered ........??
      Kessler
      I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
      INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

IMHO the only thing that you can reasonably power with a bicycle is a flour mill. I have seen pictures of Asians in the outback pedal powering a small (SMALL) generator to run a laptop but you are talking really low power there.
        I don't believe you can pedal enough torque to run a lathe.

Comment

It was a wood lathe, for turning bowls and things on. A very modern bike was attached, so with good gearing, I imagine it could get enough speed. It turns directly, like a spinning wheel, not powering a motor.

I've heard the original old power washers post WWII took pedaling to get their motors going, since many homes that needed them weren't powered until the 50s or 60s. I've seen plans though, that some .mil guys stuck in various backwards places, have come up with to run a simple washer using a small windmill to run the agitator, looks doable. Many lower-power items exist today though, so even lower power output will run more (LED lights or whatever.)

Comment

Originally posted by airdrop View Post
            Well you left out something lol , metal or wood lathe ?
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MBfOhrV-hg if you'll notice she is peddling backwards .
            Yep, similar, but I notice their drive-cord is looped in a figure-8, funny looking setup they have.

Comment

Working...
            X