• Show
Clear All

• Days of Future Passed

Days Of Future Passed

-I-
    (The Day Begins)

“I tell you, I have no idea why I'm here, and none of you either.”

“But you're the one with the badge.”

“Hell's bells, I'm bettin' half the folks here have worn a badge at one time or other! And half of them couldn't decide whether to uphold the law or hold up the bank.”

There was a general snicker through the room. Wyatt Earp had a way with words, all right. And it wasn't that he ever took the outlaw road, but sometimes he just didn't let the law get in the way of justice.

Said another ,“Ain't this the damnest thing? I had just finished taking care of business in the outhouse behind my jail, I open the door, and here's this room. And the famous Marshall Earp is sittin' there, just like now, looking over those those papers and that map. And then the rest of you start appearing, and I mean appearing. Some like normal, in through the door. Others, well … I blink my eyes and there's a new man in the room. I turn my head, and there's another. Maybe I tripped and banged my head. Maybe I'm dreamin'. Makes more sense than this.”

“I'm wondering about the dreaming part myself, Sheriff Hatfield. It don't make a lick of sense,” said Wyatt.

“I'm Chief of Police, not a Sheriff, but I told you to call me Sid, and I'll call you Wyatt. It doesn't look like we're in a situation that calls for standing on ceremony. Strange days. You know, I believe you're who you say you are, and I know I'm who I say I am, but I gotta say Wyatt, I've read dime novels about you and your kin and you've got to be what, seventy five? I mean I read about the OK Corral when I was a kid, and that fight was in, was it 1880?”

“Fall of '81.”

“Well, I wasn't even born 'til ten years after that, I'm 29 now and you look about my age.”

“You read about the OK Corral? News travels fast, I guess. That was just shy of two years ago. And its in a book? I'll be damned, or maybe that's the answer to the whole riddle. Anyhow, I'm 35 years of age.”

“Maybe we should go around the room, and get to know the rest of you all,” suggested Sid. “Maybe something will start to make some sense.”
    Last edited by AmericanBTGoG; 04-17-2015, 07:28 AM. Reason: Revision 1: Reconciling Tense
    "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

ooooooo, this looks interesting.
    Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Yes, yes it does...
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Time travel in the old west!!!!! Ye Ha !
        People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
        ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

-I- (cont.)

“Good idea,” replied Wyatt. “Since I've got the dealer's spot and Sid's to my left, hope you all find it all right if we go around the room like dealing poker. You do know poker, I hope? Anyways, lets go clockwise. You already heard the two of our names and – well, look who just popped in.” Small smiles around the room, as the newcomer had, indeed, just popped in out of nowhere. “Hello John. Fancy meeting you here. I should've known when I said poker you'd be right here. Sorry folks, but this is my good friend, Dr. John Holliday. He's from my time and place. John, I expect you're about as confused as the rest of us. We're trying to sort out this situation. Just now going around the room and making introductions. John, to my left right here is Chief of Police Sid Hatfield.”

“Pleased to make your acquaintance, Chief.”

“Same here. I've read about you.”

“You'll understand what he means by that in a few minutes, I think, John.”

“I hope I'll understand something about what is going on. I was in Millman's shop, getting a shave. Relaxing under a hot towel and then...I'm here. With my hat back on and … yup, some other items that I didn't have on my person when I sat down. Now, I know I'm not drunk. What is this, Wyatt?”

“Like I said, we're trying to sort that out. Now, let's get back to the next order of business. Sir, will you be so kind as to introduce yourself?

“Yes, sir. Gentlemen , my name is Mosby, John Singleton Mosby, of the Virginia Mosby's. As of late, I've been privileged to be Colonel of the 43rd Battalion of the Army of Northern Virginia, Confederate States of America. From what I'm hearing, I might specify that, at least until a few moments ago, I was in Virginia, and it was April, in the year of our Lord 1865. I fear I'm not certain as to anything else, right now.”

“Mosby's Command. Wow,” a voice was heard from the far side of the room.

“So we've been called, sir, though I find it rather immodest to call it that myself.”

“Pleased to meet you, Colonel. And to your left..?”

“Depending who you ask, I'm either Brigadier General, or Colonel, Wendell Fertig, of the United States Forces in the Philippines. Its 1945 and I've been busy fighting Japs. Civil engineer by trade, soldier by force of circumstance. Good to meet you Wyatt, Sid, Doctor, and Colonel Mosby. Even better if we could get a handle on the situation.”

“Agreed. And you, sir?”

“Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, USMC. 1967, Republic of Viet Nam. If I'm a little quiet, please don't take it personal.”

“Are you the 'White Feather,' Gunnery Sergeant? I'm Army Special Forces, myself, but if that's you, I'm still real honored to meet you, even if you're a … Marine. My name is Benavidez, Roy Benavidez, Master Sergeant. 1968, and this morning I was in Nam.”

Fertig asked, “Please don't take this the wrong way but, what with the name and all, you wouldn't be Filipino now, would you? Fine, brave people, the Filipinos.”

“Colonel, sir, no offense taken. But I'm proud of being Yaqui Indian and I'm from the great state of Texas, sir.”

The next to the left said, “Truth be told, I've never had much truck with Indians, but I shall do my utmost to give you what respect and friendship you earn. I'll hope you'll do the same for me, despite anything you may have heard.”

Benavidez replied, extending his hand, “Sounds fair. A man's a man and I judge each on their own. I've met all sorts in my time. And your name is...?

Shaking hands, “I'm Francis Marion, Colonel of the Williamsburg Militia, by commission of the Continental Congress.”

Mosby exclaimed, “The Swamp Fox! Sir, I am proud to meet a true hero, and son of the South!”

“Thank you, Col. Mosby. You flatter me.”

Wyatt then said, “Well, that's all of us, except for the one last fellow who dropped in whilst we were going around. Sir, did you catch the gist of this? Please introduce yourself.”

“Well, I'm really not sure why I'm here at all. I mean, you're all famous lawmen, or military heroes or shootists. Me, I like to fish, do some hunting, camping, once in a blue moon I do some writing. I know of all of you, though, because I read a lot of history and politics and such. I see the uniforms, and clothing, and the places you mention, and kind of know about what you're referring to. I guess I'm the latest in the timeline. I'm here from 2016, and you can call me Chris, whatever.”

“Well, "Whatever", nice to meet you. You've got as much an idea as to why we're here as the rest of us. Tell you what. I've got these booklets here, and a large map. Why don't we all take a few minutes and look over all this. Chris, you said you like to read. I hope you don't mind if I, or any of the boys here, ask if we get tangled up in some of the words written here.”
          "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

ROFL ABT, don't quit now!
            Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Maybe the battery needs charged at the end of the day or MOAR PLZ

Comment

Chris whatever, huh? lol.
                You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

Might as well be whatever...Don't hardly hear hide nor hare of that rascal much anymore .
                  He has left us to our own devices , to run amuck ....and amuck we shall run ...

DD
                  OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

-I- (cont.)

The room in which these men found themselves was, depending upon one's perspective, either ordinary and nondescript, or odd in many ways, both subtle and not. The difference was, it seemed, whether you were looking through pre- or post-World War Two eyes. It was obvious to all that everything in there had been factory-made. There was no fireplace. The glass in the one window was clear and flat, not wavy at all and of one piece rather than in a quadrant. The window frame was neither wood nor metal, and the window itself seemed to be openable.

The room itself was rather large, and the ceiling rather high. No rough wood, no plaster, and no wallpaper on the walls. Plasterboard or drywall, lightly painted, smooth and uniform. Very angular and regular corners. Electrical outlets inset into the walls, regularly spaced.

No large cabinets for storage of clothing or big items, but a few low, metal file cabinets against the walls.. A few doors which, when opened, revealed large closets, most big enough for a very small bedroom. These closets were pretty well filled.

Some of the chairs were wooden, of the folding type; others were tubular metal and plastic, arranged around a long, smooth wooden conference table, where Wyatt had originally taken the dealer's seat. No overstuffed chairs or couches, though there were two uncomfortable looking sofas, in green vinyl, near the entry door. The floor was covered in a commercial beige carpet.

The lighting was fluorescent, no gas fixtures and no candleholders. There were, however, some lanterns stacked neatly in one corner.

There was an indoor sink, an electric coffeemaker, both plastic and paper cups and all the accessories needed for either tea or coffee. A small refrigerator held ice and sodapop and some cans of beer. There was no indication that harder beverages were available. Several boxes of Dunkin Donuts were by the sink.

On the conference table were the afore-mentioned booklets, several large maps, legal pads and stick pens. Plastic ashtrays were liberally scattered around the room, a few containing peppermint “star” hard candy and drop-shaped, aluminum wrapped chocolate. A small box held cigarettes, cigars, and packs of chewing tobacco, both plug and loose-leaf, as well as some cans of snuff, both dip and old style. Wood matches and several gas lighters were in a small container next to the box.

There was no telephone, no television, no computers of any type.

The room was a good indicator that these men had traveled forward, rather than back, in time, if they had traveled at all.

Comment

This all started when he watched Legends and Lies from Bill Oriely last night on TV. He was huffing his finger nail polish in his thong with a Coors Light and this "story" came to him.

BTW big guy, I may be in Tampa 3 week in May

Comment

Not familiar with "Legends and Lies."

Let me know about Tampa.

Comment

Kidding sir.

We watch 2 episodes last night(recorded) and love it. Everyone should see it.

Number 1 on NYT best seller list

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/162...important;" />

Comment

Huffing nail polish is a waste of time. For really useful chemicals, you want nail polish remover, both acetone & non-acetone varieties.
                            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

This has potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X