Pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pigs

I was terrible and did not plan this adventure well, then I got busy, then the pigs got huge.....

Long story short, I sent two hogs to the butcher and they hung at over 325lbs each. Yeah, ooooops.

So, even though that happened, I still came out far and away ahead in comparison to purchasing pork. For anyone that has not done this, I really suggest you try it. I raised these two enormous hogs in a dog pen. Not the best of planning, but it worked. They got fat, and now I have to buy a ginormous freezer to accommodate all that meat.

Anyone know any good pork recipes? I think I want to try some pig jerky.

Anyway, it is good to be back. I hope everyone here is doing well.

Good to have you back redman.
    Last edited by DMH; 02-26-2015, 08:01 PM.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

I have some pork recipes but I would need some pork to show you how its done. My freezer has some space in it

Comment

How far are you from georgia? I amngoing to sweat bacon grease by the time we are done with all this.

I did do one thing right. They were not over fed, so most went to muscle and frame. The beasts were up to my waist when they went to slaughter.

Comment

Redman,thats some big pigs, lots of bacon and butts,
          Sometimes I question my sanity but the unicorn and gummy bears told me I am fine

Comment

Bacon!!!!!!
            You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
            Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

It is a shame there is so little bacon on a hog.

Comment

Amen brother.
                I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

You should have some boneless loin roast unless you had the butcher slice it all. Great for kabobs, piece together with vegetables & pineapple and brush with sweet & sour sauce, or just veggies and season with a mix of Italian spices and some olive oil.

Or slice carefully so it "unrolls" - I shoot for a half inch layer of meat until it becomes a big square or rectangle of meat, fill with jalopeños and cream cheese, roll it back up & wrap it in woven bacon before roasting it.
                  quam minimum credula postero

Comment

That sounds good. There will be about 50/50 roast and chops.

I plan to fire up the smoker too. Get the hocks smoked for soup and beans. Same with the jowls.

Comment

Last piece of smoked jowl I saw at the store had quite a price tag, people are forgetting that there was ever such a thing as "cheap cuts."
                      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Isn't that the truth. Smoked hocks are horribly high as well.

Comment

Don't forget the head meat. My late father in law use to say when they butchered a hog the only thing they didn't use was the squeal. ( YES they used the blood YUK )

Comment

I think most of that is in the sausage. I chickened out and had these professionally butchered. Next time, I will have just one and do it myself at a reasonable weight.

Comment

Working...
                            X