Lets talk Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk Radios

New to this aspect of things. Is there such a radio that you can buy for 2 way communication that can get up to 20 miles in city type areas? Id love to hear more from folks who have found the setup that works. I was thinking about scoring a few of those Baofeng Radios but am not convinced they would do the job. Thanks for any insight.

HAM Radio. The official HAM site for AA forums is www.preparedham.com and was actually started when AA was first writing a chapter at a time. tex had a CME knock out the cell towers in his area and I mwntioned that he needed to have a HAM radio and license then he would have comms.

It easy to get as 7 year old kids are passing the tests.

All of the questions and answers are published and it just take studying then scheduling a test. $15

I and several others(UN and WLynn and others) used a pay site called www.hamtestonline.com

Here is a link for studying on HTOL

Here are some free sites

Comment

There's three tests, they all cost the same, but as long as you pass the first one you can continue on that one test fee, and save a little money. The first two are so close you should plan for both the first time you sit down to test. Depending on your study habits, if you get anxious over tests or not, etc, you might even go for all three on that one test fee.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I beat WLynn by 40 minutes to the Extra license. I had the Tech and Gen in hand and when I learned she was taking all three at the same time i rushed and took my Extra about a week ahead of schedule so i would not suffer the ridicule from Perparedham guys for her beating me.

The fact that she went from Zero to Hero in a few hours still has me humbled.
        Last edited by AD; 02-14-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

So yep Im up on the HAM stuff I plan to get that going what IM more curious about is Long Range portable hand HAM Radios. Any of them with a particular setup able to pick up and transmit around 20 miles? Thanks for all the advice. I plan to take this test in the next few months. Wanted to get a unit first as motivation =-)

Comment

Every HAM hand held is "line of site" meaning mountain top to mountain top would be 30 ish miles with out repeaters.

Beyond that you need HF(H&R gh freq) comms.

To cut down the back and forth PM me and I will send you my phone # so we can cut to,the chase.

Comment

SHTFCO, I'm opting for the same type of radio - handheld/mobile.

The past month, we've had high winds here - 50+mph, and these are just winter nor-easters. The real storms get a bit more intense. My roof is 30 ft from the ground and I don't "do" heights well. I can't even get into our attic, tho maybe the new ladder is tall enough. So antennas are problematic. There are 4-5 repeaters around me. And the test is the very next thing on my list; I've got a week of yucky cold weather coming up and local support too. Time to "git R done".... before the weather is nice enough to go to the range again.

Comment

The only way to get more range out of handhelds is to attach an external antenna. It works well.

You do not need to install on a roof, you can use a tripod or pole mount at the ground level.

You can also do a wire antenna, DMH got one, you can string in various configuration for HF. From VHF the antenna is small, height will help, but is not as critical as proper installation.

I recommend taking at least the Tech and General on the same day, and get it out of the way, then you will have some HF available to practice.

Comment

What you guys mean twitter isn't enough?? This is crazy talk!!

Comment

So I just ordered the Baofang UV5R with the extended battery and car charger. Also picked up the Nagoya NA771 SMA Female 2.15 dB 10W Single Antenna for Baofeng KGUVD1P UV5R So this should be decent Pack Radio.

Question if I get a 100 foot extended cable to throw this up in a tree or building would it extend my range big time? Now to find a decent home base unit that doesnt kick my pocket book.

Comment

Call me.

No can do with the 100 foot cable. Your losses at these freqs are HUGE!

Why did you not pick this one

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PTJ43FU?psc=1 With 8 watts?

This antenna will help a lot for the base. Look at the gain on it.

The X50NA and X50A are excellent choices where ruggedness is required in a medium-gain, dual-band application.

Special Features:
                      • Fiberglass radome
                      • Stainless steel hardware
                      • Wide band performance
                      • Factory adjusted – no tuning required
                      • High wind rating
                      • DC grounded
                      Specifications:
                      Band: 2m/70cm
                      Gain (dB): 4.5/7.2
                      Max Power Rating: 200
                      Wind Rating: 135 MPH (no ice)
                      Height (feet): 5.6
                      Connector: UHF
                      Element Phasing: 3-1/4l, 3-5/8l

Comment

Here's the Amazon list that I put together for a handheld bag radio. Just remember that this is a low cost kit, and as we all know, you get what you pay for. With that said, I've been happy with this setup.

Defund the Media !!

Comment

Thanks Kick. Ordered and on the way.

Have been procrastinating but finally ordered a study guide and will be taking the ham tests. Looks like the internet will be going away as we know it today
                          and radios will be the source of true info - at least until they come for that too.

Comment

If you don't press the mic button, they dunno where it is. If you have to press the mic button, you can be prepared to tear down and haul tuchus.
                            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Just got off the phone with AD man that guy is full of knowledge. Huge thanks AD for all the wonderful insight. Now I got alot of work to do to get ready for the tests =-)

Comment

Working...
                              X